Sponsored

Changing oil at the dealership - 5 or 6 qt

How much oil did you get at the dealership at the oil change?

• Total voters

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
Last time, while doing V41 recall at the dealership, I asked them for an oil change. Bad idea. Althoug I've seen 5 qt on the invoice, it was more than an inch above the top level on the dipstick. I had to extract more than a quart to get to the top level on the dispstick. It's November 2019, I think that they should already know...
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
First of all sorry. Secondly, I’m not surprised at all. This issue has been discussed many times on this forum.

The problem is that there are dealerships out there with service techs that are not capable. I am VERY THANKFUL that the dealership in my town is not one of them. (Shout out to the awesome crew at Poynters Jeep in Seymour, IN.)

I would hope that by now, Jeep is aware and has put out alerts to all of their dealerships / service centers. From the continued issues it is clear however, that if this communication has happened it needs to be reinforced because there are folks in the ranks that believe these notices are not addressed to them.

.....kind of like people that ignore speed limit signs or stop signs..... those signs are placed there for the instruction and convenience of everyone else but not them.

Again..... Sorry. Best of luck finding a competent Service Team. They are out there you just have to find them.

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,997C2, 981S, 750LI, Shelby GTSC, 19VW Jetta and a lot of motorcycles
I got 6 quarts filled, 6 quarts on the invoice, despite me requesting only five for the new JL. Got it corrected, dealer still scratching his head what happened. Amazing

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
I'm almost 100% confident this all started with FCA putting the wrong amount into "the system" and never fixing it. I find it hard to believe the problem could be so common otherwise.

The first free oil change on my wifes JLU came back with 6 on the invoice and 6 in the engine. The dealership did it over again and filled it correctly the second time. The invoice said 6 qts, and the dealership said its in the system that way and they can't change it.

The second oil change was done right after telling them about 10x that it takes 5 Qts. The invoice still said 6.

Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
1st one they filled it to 6 and I argued with them about it and when it came time for the second change I told them if they did anything more than 5 Ill make them dump it and they got it right at 5

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
Where are you getting 6 qt on the dipstick?
Significantly over the top line marking on the dipstick. I'm going from memory but I think visually it was around 1/3 inch above line. Others can clarify.

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Waiting on my personalized license plate. 5 QRTS

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
The correct level on the dipstick here. But, my dealer provides a lifetime engine warranty with every new vehicle purchase. Probably in their interest to make sure their techs are doing oil changes right.

Sponsored

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I'm almost 100% confident this all started with FCA putting the wrong amount into "the system" and never fixing it. I find it hard to believe the problem could be so common otherwise.
I had to educate my dealer's service department when I took mine if for its first change a couple of months ago. They, of course, didn't believe me. I showed them the manual and they wanted to dismiss that. Then they looked it up on their computer system (FCA maintenance requirements by vehicle) and it showed clearly the JL requires 5qts. So it is indeed fixed in the system.

The problem is they and apparently every other dealership are all used to the fact that the JK and apparently every other Pentastar vehicle requires 6qts. We looked through 2020 Grand Cherokee 3.6 (6qts), 2020 Dodge Charger 3.6 (6qts). The JL seems to be the only vehicle where FCA changed the oil capacity from 6 to 5. The service manager printed out several copies of the FCA oil change specs for the JL and had a meeting with all of the techs. I will get to see how effective his training is on the next change.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
5 QT because my jeep dealer stopped using the bulk oil and only uses bottles. they told me they removed the bulk oil dispenser because it was never right.

Zerolatency

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR
I just caught a 6qt on mine today. it said 6qt on the paperwork so I double checked it before leaving. Sure enough, overfull. They promptly pulled it back in and changed the oil a second time. Not a major deal for me as I knew to watch out for it but I wonder how many other JLs in my area are cruising around on 6qt....

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
I just caught a 6qt on mine today. it said 6qt on the paperwork so I double checked it before leaving. Sure enough, overfull. They promptly pulled it back in and changed the oil a second time. Not a major deal for me as I knew to watch out for it but I wonder how many other JLs in my area are cruising around on 6qt....
So what happens if they overfill? I ask because I woke up to a dinner sized spot of oil under mine yesterday. Brought it in to the dealer and they can't find a leak, although they see where it dripped down. They cleaned it all up, put some dye in the oil and ran it ... nothing. Tech said that it looked like it was about 1/4 of a quart high and it's possible that it "burped" out some excess from the purge valve. He's never seen it happen, but it's possible.

Thoughts?
Sponsored