Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Mud Yapster

First Name
Mud Yapster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
If the new one is also loose at least you can collect warranty and get a new one with out the run around. Let us know if you have great steering after the install.

Last edited:

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
If your planning on replacing it anyway, it might be worth trying to adjust the preload on the box you already have. If it works, then you don't have to spend the money and go through the hassle of swapping.

OP
OP
First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
If your planning on replacing it anyway, it might be worth trying to adjust the preload on the box you already have. If it works, then you don't have to spend the money and go through the hassle of swapping.
I do not trust at all trying to make the adjustment since it is a very delicate part and a bad adjustment could mean more danger in the vehicle that I already have with the loose steering, I will probably change it, I will keep you informed if I change it and if there is any significant change in the loose steering wheel

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
My Jeep came with the AE box and has 1" of play. Many others in the same boat. Seems more luck related at this point on what side of the tolerance it comes from the factory with.

Have you called and found out if you can actually get one? I've heard these are on backorder as one might imagine.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
There's a lot of parts between the steering wheel and the tires. The steering box is just one. We know that the intermediate steering shaft has a revision for looseness. We know that the trackbar has a revision to increase the hardness of the bushings. There's also opportunity for looseness in the upper steering column which telescopes in a crash.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
There's a lot of parts between the steering wheel and the tires. The steering box is just one. We know that the intermediate steering shaft has a revision for looseness. We know that the trackbar has a revision to increase the hardness of the bushings. There's also opportunity for looseness in the upper steering column which telescopes in a crash.
we also can't discount the amount of assist provided by the computer. I still wish a tuner like the tazer which has access to the modules could dive slightly deeper and allow us to see what the setting is on our jeeps. I wouldn't be surprised if my setting is way lower than it is supposed to be. There has been at least one person that got their jeep flashed and it seemed to help.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Smart. There were initial reports of the steering on the new JL (when it first came out) being fantastic. But then there were reports that in cold weather, the steering would lock up completely....resulting in an extremely dangerous condition.

I'm of the opinion that FCA's new aluminum box and electronic steering pump is the cause of the majority of the vagueness issue and that the issue is a result of the lockup condition that occurred in cold weather. I'm betting the band-aide "fix" was to loosen the adjustment in the box to keep it from locking up and that that adjustment is what's resulting in vague steering. So...tightening it up could potentially cause the lock up issue.

Again, just speculation, but it seems the most plausible scenario based on what we know.
I agree. I think they over-corrected that safety issue to save their asses and created a new one for us. There’s gotta be a happy medium.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
Someone who has problems with the loose steering wheel has changed the new steering wheel box 68250506AE to the factory one, in case it solved the problem? I'm considering buying it and changing it since li JLU has the loose steering wheel.

Find this online
https://www.oemmopar.parts/oem-parts/mopar-gear-power-steering-68250506ae
Check out these YouTubes:

Jeep JL wandering steering wheel fix

If your Jeep JL or Gladiator is having a hard time staying straight when you are going down the highway? You are not alone.

This video will show you the the fix. ExodusJeeps.comExpand for more info We have been getting calls and hearing a lot of buzz about the Jeep JL and Gladiator steering issues.

It just will not stay centered on the road! We installed a Synergy Jeep JL/JT Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace ($200)

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Check out these YouTubes:

Jeep JL wandering steering wheel fix

If your Jeep JL or Gladiator is having a hard time staying straight when you are going down the highway? You are not alone.

This video will show you the the fix. ExodusJeeps.comExpand for more info We have been getting calls and hearing a lot of buzz about the Jeep JL and Gladiator steering issues.

It just will not stay centered on the road! We installed a Synergy Jeep JL/JT Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace ($200)

Why would they make a product for a problem that doesn’t exist ?

Of course I’m being sarcastic, the video seems to relate to a jeep that’s lifted, what does this do for a stock jeep Sahara ?

Sponsored

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
This might help with the wandering issue but not the excessive play in the steering. If your steering wheel is loose in park with the engine running, that’s not a frame flexing issue. We know it’s a steering box/electronic assist issue.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
This might help with the wandering issue but not the excessive play in the steering. If your steering wheel is loose in park with the engine running, that’s not a frame flexing issue. We know it’s a steering box/electronic assist issue.
Not necessarily.

05RUMBLE

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2004 SRT 10 Ram 2018 Chev LTZ HD
Someone who has problems with the loose steering wheel has changed the new steering wheel box 68250506AE to the factory one, in case it solved the problem? I'm considering buying it and changing it since li JLU has the loose steering wheel.

Find this online
https://www.oemmopar.parts/oem-parts/mopar-gear-power-steering-68250506ae
My 2020 JLUR came with the AE box. Steering was very loose. Dealer agreed to try another new AE box. It was installed last week and it did help some with the steering play. Went from around 1' play to around .5' or so. Jeeps is at least driveable now but still not right.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Part of the Synergy trackbar brace is a support bushing for the pitman arm shaft (a.k.a. sector shaft). It basically puts a bearing out on the end of the pitman arm shaft to add stability to the shaft/arm. If the shaft has any play in it, the play will allow rotational movement to translate into lateral movement of the shaft until it reaches the limit of lateral movement the internal bearings would allow, then, and only then would the draglink get enough force to move the tierod and make a steering input. So, yeah, any looseness/flexing of the output shaft of the steering box is bad and makes for perceived steering play.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Part of the Synergy trackbar brace is a support bushing for the pitman arm shaft (a.k.a. sector shaft). It basically puts a bearing out on the end of the pitman arm shaft to add stability to the shaft/arm. If the shaft has any play in it, the play will allow rotational movement to translate into lateral movement of the shaft until it reaches the limit of lateral movement the internal bearings would allow, then, and only then would the draglink get enough force to move the tierod and make a steering input. So, yeah, any looseness/flexing of the output shaft of the steering box is bad and makes for perceived steering play.
As you're an engineer, I'm gonna defer to you and your knowledge on all things mechanical. I'm just a guy who's been forced to get educated on JL front suspension and steering linkage to hopefully one day fix my jeep.

Assuming there's no lateral play in the pitman arm would this brace still help out? For instance, if I'm under my jeep watching the pitman arm while someone moves the steering wheel 3" in each direction and the pitman arm doesn't move rotationally or laterally, would this brace fix the problem?
Sponsored