Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Except at 37psi your tires will wear unevenly and you aren't getting complete tread contact.
I’m guessing it would depend on the brand of tire. Not all tires are made the same or even designed optimally for all conditions and all vehicles (obviously). It seems like it can be a trade-off between optimal footprint and optimal sidewall stiffness and flexibility - both affected by PSI and the weight of the vehicle over each tire.

I haven’t seen the “tire factor” explored much in regard to the steering issues. I have had many vehicles in the past with steering issues. The majority of the time it condensed down to one of the tire issues I listed above - significantly, as with my Wrangler JL. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Most wandering is actually from caster being too low, especially on Rubicons and more so on lifted Jeeps. Also I don't think more body-roll is "engineered" into the vehicle, rather it's the nature of the beast with a higher COG and straight axles.
That of course can certainly be a factor. Arguably though, any poorly constructed tire with wandering issues can be improved by increasing caster, but resulting in earlier tire failure, no? You do have a point; I just strongly believe the tire factor should be examined closer.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
That of course can certainly be a factor. Arguably though, any poorly constructed tire with wandering issues can be improved by increasing caster, but resulting in earlier tire failure, no? You do have a point; I just strongly believe the tire factor should be examined closer.
Caster won't hardly affect tire wear at all. Maybe you're thinking of camber? I run my Nitto 37" Trail Grapplers at 25psi on the road. While there is definitely more sidewall flex and probably increases my steering wheel play, I can still drive it on the highway at 70mph with 2 fingers. You are absolutely right that there are several factors affecting the steering issues people are having.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Also I don't think more body-roll is "engineered" into the vehicle, rather it's the nature of the beast with a higher COG and straight axles.
Of course my point is that there is more body-roll; I can be semantically challenged. My point remains the same. Folks not used to it may oversteer due to it.

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Caster won't hardly affect tire wear at all. Maybe you're thinking of camber? I run my Nitto 37" Trail Grapplers at 25psi on the road. While there is definitely more sidewall flex and probably increases my steering wheel play, I can still drive it on the highway at 70mph with 2 fingers. You are absolutely right that there are several factors affecting the steering issues people are having.
Good copy; thanks for the correction! When I had the stock tires, I was scared shitless at 65 MPH. With the Toyos I routinely cruise at 80 with my middle finger on the wheel ;)

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
You didn't "lose interest"....you realized you weren't clear and won't just own it. I fuck up all the time.....it's not the end of the world to admit we're all still learning.
Lol

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
My 2020 JLUR came with the AE box. Steering was very loose. Dealer agreed to try another new AE box. It was installed last week and it did help some with the steering play. Went from around 1' play to around .5' or so. Jeeps is at least driveable now but still not right.
My 2020 Rubicon seems to steer OK in contrast to the 2019 Rubicon I test drove with black side walls that was terrible.

Maybe it has a little to do with the tires?

I have the white lettered KO2's, from BF Goodrich, where most seem to have the black side walls.

Or, maybe it's irrelevant?

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
My 2020 Rubicon seems to steer OK in contrast to the 2019 Rubicon I test drove with black side walls that was terrible.

Maybe it has a little to do with the tires?

I have the white lettered KO2's, from BF Goodrich, where most seem to have the black side walls.

Or, maybe it's irrelevant?
White walls out will def give you a much tighter ride. It's been proven.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst

Sponsored

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
I’m guessing it would depend on the brand of tire. Not all tires are made the same or even designed optimally for all conditions and all vehicles (obviously). It seems like it can be a trade-off between optimal footprint and optimal sidewall stiffness and flexibility - both affected by PSI and the weight of the vehicle over each tire.

I haven’t seen the “tire factor” explored much in regard to the steering issues. I have had many vehicles in the past with steering issues. The majority of the time it condensed down to one of the tire issues I listed above - significantly, as with my Wrangler JL. Thoughts?
If you have not heard people discuss tires and tire pressure with respect to the steering issues you can refer to many of the first few hundred posts in this thread.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-348#post-927975

I really don’t understand why members try to pull the “SFA” or “designed for off road” to argue against members with steering issues. We all know this. Most have also owned previous Jeeps without the problem with the same design intents.

I really appreciate the constructive discussions that happen here and thank you to all that have constructive posts. I have learned so much from this forum. Sucks when I have to skim BS like some of these previous posts.

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
If you have not heard people discuss tires and tire pressure with respect to the steering issues you can refer to many of the first few hundred posts in this thread.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-348#post-927975

I really don’t understand why members try to pull the “SFA” or “designed for off road” to argue against members with steering issues. We all know this. Most have also owned previous Jeeps without the problem with the same design intents.

I really appreciate the constructive discussions that happen here and thank you to all that have constructive posts. I have learned so much from this forum. Sucks when I have to skim BS like some of these previous posts.
I have to agree here. No disrespect to anyone but the tire brand & psi argument is moot since many stock jeeps track straight and steer tight right off the lot, while others have excessive play & wandering - same model, same tires, night and day difference in steering. Also, aftermarket suppliers like PSC didn't create a hydraulic steering kit to fix the well-known steering issues in JL's because there was no demand for it. They clearly heard from many disgruntled JL owners about their issues and created a solution to meet that demand. If swapping out tires was the fix, we'd all have saved a lot of money a long time ago.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase

I’m regret that you feel my post is BS. I do appreciate the link you provided and will peruse it.

Know this: I am NOT arguing with ANYONE. I am only providing MY solution to MY particular problem with the steering issue. I realize that MY solution is not a cookie-cutter solution to ALL steering issues. If MY solution doesn’t fit YOUR issue, disregard, drive on, and good luck. However, if MY solution helps someone, there’s a win here.

Peace.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I have to agree here. No disrespect to anyone but the tire brand & psi argument is moot since many stock jeeps track straight and steer tight right off the lot, while others have excessive play & wandering - same model, same tires, night and day difference in steering. Also, aftermarket suppliers like PSC didn't create a hydraulic steering kit to fix the well-known steering issues in JL's because there was no demand for it. They clearly heard from many disgruntled JL owners about their issues and created a solution to meet that demand. If swapping out tires was the fix, we'd all have saved a lot of money a long time ago.
How can it be a moot point if changing tire brand and/or pressure corrected the problem for a number of us? The cause of the steering issue varies from vehicle to vehicle. For some it’s tires. For some it’s geometry. For some it’s alignment. For some it’s etc etc. Offering a solution for just one of the possible causes is a GOOD thing. It’s just one solution for one problem out of a plethora of causes.

I understand the frustration. I do not understand the dismissal of ONE solution for ONE cause out of a variety of causes.

Peace.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
I’m regret that you feel my post is BS. I do appreciate the link you provided and will peruse it.

Know this: I am NOT arguing with ANYONE. I am only providing MY solution to MY particular problem with the steering issue. I realize that MY solution is not a cookie-cutter solution to ALL steering issues. If MY solution doesn’t fit YOUR issue, disregard, drive on, and good luck. However, if MY solution helps someone, there’s a win here.

Peace.
Sorry I was not referring to your post as BS....it was all the other junk in between. "White walls out will def give you a much tighter ride. It's been proven. "

WRT your post I was just referencing lots of tire discussion that has happened.
Sponsored