Changing gears to improve gear ratio for bigger tires

obiwankabaldi

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
First jeep ever and in reading about changing tire size I find lots of reference to gear ratio. As I am going from the stock 31.5 inch tires to 33" tires my gear ratio changes a bit. Is it necessary or smart to change the gear to correct the gear ratio and is it expensive? Thanks
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
First jeep ever and in reading about changing tire size I find lots of reference to gear ratio. As I am going from the stock 31.5 inch tires to 33" tires my gear ratio changes a bit. Is it necessary or smart to change the gear to correct the gear ratio and is it expensive? Thanks
Well, there are no gear sets available for the new axles yet, so I would put on the tires and see how it drives and re-gear if you think it is necessary when they are available.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
You could go up to 33" on a Sport/Sahara with the standard 3.45 gears and not feel too bad on the highway. If you have a Rubicon with 4.10 gears you could do a 35" tire no problem.

If you put too big of a tire for your gearing you will feel the transmission struggling and downshifting a lot when you're cruising up hills and long grades. Regearing is a good idea if you plan on going 37" and up. If you put higher gear ratios (typically 4.88 or 5.13 in JKs) and you have small tires your engine will be running at high RPMs on the highway.

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I really wish Jeep would offer a factory different ratio upgrade like they did with the JK. 33's aren't going to be awesome with the 3.45's. I'll probably eventually regear but I'd prefer factory gears to any aftermarket.

And hell, I'm hearing reports that the factory ratios are a bit tall for the stock tires. I want ratios high enough that the jeep is cruising around 2500 rpm at 80, and has enough power to get out of its own way.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You could go up to 33" on a Sport/Sahara with the standard 3.45 gears and not feel too bad on the highway. If you have a Rubicon with 4.10 gears you could do a 35" tire no problem.

If you put too big of a tire for your gearing you will feel the transmission struggling and downshifting a lot when you're cruising up hills and long grades. Regearing is a good idea if you plan on going 37" and up. If you put higher gear ratios (typically 4.88 or 5.13 in JKs) and you have small tires your engine will be running at high RPMs on the highway.

You think it would still run at high rpm with this new transmission on a 4.88 gear ratio?

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
My cost for YUKON 5.38S/GREASEABLE BALL JOINTS, HERE IN NV--

Was $1989 bucks and that was in locked (RUBY) DANA-44s

I doubt if I'll change the 4.10 gears in my JLR-

JIMBO

Sponsored

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
You think it would still run at high rpm with this new transmission on a 4.88 gear ratio?
Way over the hill my friend. 3.45 is perfect for 33's no issues. You would seriously be wasting your money.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

depends if you have the 6speed manual or the auto. the auto should be fine with the 33" tires and 3.45. the 6 speed manual i would recommend 4.10 gears. world of a difference on my jeep when i put rubi take off wheels and tires. I drove that for a year and then installed new Rubicon axles with 4.10 and lockers. love my jeep now

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
depends if you have the 6speed manual or the auto. the auto should be fine with the 33" tires and 3.45. the 6 speed manual i would recommend 4.10 gears. world of a difference on my jeep when i put rubi take off wheels and tires. I drove that for a year and then installed new Rubicon axles with 4.10 and lockers. love my jeep now
I do like the lockers and "IF" I were to change I would go 4:10' Lockers.