Changing from halogen headlights to LEDs

cgolf60

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Sorento, 2019 GMC Canyon
I have a 2022 Willys Sport 4 door with halogen headlights. How difficult is it to change them out with LEDs? Should I or can I just change the bulb or does the entire headlight need to be changed? What's a good brand to change to?
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2022 Willys Sport 4 door with halogen headlights. How difficult is it to change them out with LEDs? Should I or can I just change the bulb or does the entire headlight need to be changed? What's a good brand to change to?
Welcome to the forum!

Great question, but depends a lot on how much money you want to spend.

I went with led bulbs to try it first before spending significantly more money and time on entire replacement led headlights. The bulbs are extremely bright with a very clean non-glare cutoff. Love them!

The beamtech or techmax h13 bulbs were around $40 (Amazon) and took me 15 min to install (on 3.6L). I hear you need to remove the grill/headlight housing on some of the other engines. I also had to adjust my headlight beams lower to make them the correct height.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
The halogen housing will support LEDs but it does not focus the beam correctly so there is light bleed towards oncoming drivers. The LED conversions are nice and cheap though. I would consider saving up some and buying a complete LED replacement housing (OEM or aftermarket). The entire housing is very easy to change out.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
The halogen housing will support LEDs but it does not focus the beam correctly so there is light bleed towards oncoming drivers. The LED conversions are nice and cheap though. I would consider saving up some and buying a complete LED replacement housing (OEM or aftermarket). The entire housing is very easy to change out.
This "unfocused beam" problem is not true for all led replacement bulbs. If you research, there are many options designed specifically to replace halogen bulbs with the appropriate cutoff.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Welcome to the forum.

Due to access issues, changing headlight bulbs requires removal of the plastic grille on the 2.0T-powered Wranglers. Careful removal of the plastic six retention plugs across the top of the grille will allow their economical reuse.

I'll leave it to others to comment on whether grille removal is necessary with the JL's three other engine options.

Replacing incandescent bulbs with their LED equivalent (i.e., retaining the factory reflector) is usually as simple as unplugging one and installing the other. LED bulbs oftentimes have large-ish heat sinks, with or without integrated fans, so you'll want to be sure that, after they're correctly seated in the headlight housing, their placement isn't fouled by nearby plastic parts and such.

Some LED bulbs are known to flicker when otherwise installed properly, so you'll want to fully research your choice(s) before clicking Buy Now.

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
This "unfocused beam" problem is not true for all led replacement bulbs. If you research, there are many options designed specifically to replace halogen bulbs with the appropriate cutoff.
We will have to agree to disagree on this. Per my own experiences, the LEDs in a halogen housing look awful and do not perform as well as a proper LED housing.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Per my own experiences, the LEDs in a halogen housing look awful and do not perform as well as a proper LED housing.
The bulbs in the JL's factory halogen reflectors are functionally hidden by the Easter egg plastic Jeep grille, so there's really no aesthetic concerns in that respect. The light output is noticeably whiter, which isn't by itself a negative.

As for performance, I too experimented with varying LED headlight bulb brands, at varying price points, until finally finding a couple of brands (one, two) that, within their individual applications, provide significantly improved down-road lighting with no unwanted light bleed, etc.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
agree w/ @TX_Ovrlnd I run the Rough Country 9" setup, great output & sharp cutoff w/ a nice DRL feature. The lights have the same basic components/housing as the Oracle Oculus, so either one would be my choice or the OEM LED set, all three are great performers and look nice IMO. If you want to try the cheap LED bulb replacements no harm in that, but I'd just get the full headlights if you have the budget. I've been through a couple other 7" LED headlights w/ 9" adapater and was disappointed going that route. Many options that's for sure!

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing from halogen headlights to LEDs IMG_0784.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Changing from halogen headlights to LEDs IMG_0781.JPG

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, these type of discussions are what make forums like this enjoyable.

Here's an example beam pattern (image credit: @c20040215) from the beamtech led bulbs. This is similar to mine with no glare above the cutoff.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changing from halogen headlights to LEDs PXL_20210501_014743032.MP

Completely agree this is not equivalent to a complete led replacement housing from Mopar, Oracle or some others, however it's still a significant improvement over stock at a fraction of the cost.

I've been running Techmax H13 bulb successfully for 3 years. However, if/when they ever fail I'll decide then if I want to replace them with full LED headlights.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
agree w/ @TX_Ovrlnd I run the Rough Country 9" setup, great output & sharp cutoff w/ a nice DRL feature. The lights have the same basic components/housing as the Oracle Oculus, so either one would be my choice or the OEM LED set, all three are great performers and look nice IMO. If you want to try the cheap LED bulb replacements no harm in that, but I'd just get the full headlights if you have the budget. I've been through a couple other 7" LED headlights w/ 9" adapater and was disappointed going that route. Many options that's for sure!

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing from halogen headlights to LEDs PXL_20210501_014743032.MP
Those look pretty nice, and not too expensive.

Sponsored

4xeEsq

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
We will have to agree to disagree on this. Per my own experiences, the LEDs in a halogen housing look awful and do not perform as well as a proper LED housing.
Absolutely this. You’re not going to be liked by lost people on the road if you put LED or HID bulbs in a light meant for halogens. I think the equivalent of a tank of gas nowadays gets you a set of proper headlights. Don’t be that guy just to save 40/50 bucks on a 50k car.

OP
OP

cgolf60

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Sorento, 2019 GMC Canyon
This is great info. I'll check all the suggestions and continue research to reach a decision. Thanks!!

Barstool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mercedes GLE 350, 2020 GMC Canyon
I got the LED headlights in my jeep but in my other vehicles that came with halogen lights a simple LED bulb replacement did the job. I never had an issue with buying LED bulbs. As for people flashing you I have come to the conclusion that people will always flash you if your lights are brighter than what they think they should be whether its factory or aftermarket.

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
You may want to look at the law in your state. In Va you can't put a LED bulb in a Halogen housing. You have to replace the entire unit. They'll fail you on inspection and, if you get pulled for another reason, they can issue a ticket for improper equipment.
Sponsored