First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
FCA totally bungled the marketing of eTorque. To this day there’s lots of confusion and misunderstanding as to what eTorque is or does. And don’t waste your time asking a Jeep dealer; they haven’t got a clue either.

That’s a far cry with all the time, money and effort Ford put behind marketing EcoBoost. Love it hate it, everyone has a pretty good idea what EcoBoost means.

The reason FCA pulled the 4-cyl eTorque motor is because those JLs sat unsold on dealer lots. Consumers weren’t willing to pay $1,000 extra for something they didn’t understand what it was. The 2.0T has been a lot more successful because everyone knows what a turbo motor is.
I’ve never trusted a dealer or commercials to inform me but with all those sitting on lots due to not understanding and, now apparent, paranoia about reliability…I get why they started charging for an eTorque V6. lol Damn shame. I like our ‘21 eTorque 3.6 Rubicon and got a great deal on it. It would be even better with the 2.0 though. There were no 2020 Recon’s available close by.
Sponsored

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
BEST EXP
FCA totally bungled the marketing of eTorque. To this day there’s lots of confusion and misunderstanding as to what eTorque is or does. And don’t waste your time asking a Jeep dealer; they haven’t got a clue either.

That’s a far cry with all the time, money and effort Ford put behind marketing EcoBoost. Love it hate it, everyone has a pretty good idea what EcoBoost means.

The reason FCA pulled the 4-cyl eTorque motor is because those JLs sat unsold on dealer lots. Consumers weren’t willing to pay $1,000 extra for something they didn’t understand what it was. The 2.0T has been a lot more successful because everyone knows what a turbo motor is.
BEST EXPLANATION EVER! Thanks! It is a huge contrast to Ford. We own an Eco Boost and knew pretty much EXACTLY what it was.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the E-Torque still has the small aux battery. So it has 3 batteries.
Nope. And that is one of the best parts about eTorque......no small BS battery which wears out frequently, causing all manner of havoc with the starting and electrical systems.

As @aldo98229 stated, there's a lot of misconceptions about eTorque. This includes those who even own an eTorque equipped vehicle. When I bought my 2018, the salesman basically read off of a brochure, which didn't help me truly understand what the system did nor what it's components were.

There's several threads (including this one) where the common misconception of eTorque having the small aux battery is still being stated. Kind of hard to find fault at anyone other than FCA.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Nope. And that is one of the best parts about eTorque......no small BS battery which wears out frequently, causing all manner of havoc with the starting and electrical systems.
Although, my battery went dead yesterday out of nowhere after only 1.5 years and 35k miles. It gets driven. I used my jump pack and got it going. Drove it to the car wash and back and then it sat all night and was dead again in the morning. I guess it was really dead. Start/stop unavailable again. Now I’m going with a factory 700cca instead of the 650. That should help my winch anyway.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Although, my battery went dead yesterday out of nowhere after only 1.5 years and 35k miles. It gets driven. I used my jump pack and got it going. Drove it to the car wash and back and then it sat all night and was dead again in the morning. I guess it was really dead. Start/stop unavailable again. Now I’m going with a factory 700cca instead of the 650. That should help my winch anyway.
My stock 12V (700cca) battery in my 2018 died with about 2.5 yrs and 30k miles. They're junk! I went with a Group 94 AGM Northstar (re-labeled as "X2") battery for about $300 from my local Batteries Plus store. 60 month full replacement warranty and should last even longer. It has higher cca and reserve capacity too. I went this route due to having a winch, lights, etc. and not wanting to be stuck off road with an inferior battery.

Every Jeep owner, regardless if eTorque or not, would benefit by replacing their stock 12V starting battery with a better one. I'll be replacing the one in my 2019 soon, before it has a chance to even think of dying!

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
My stock 12V (700cca) battery in my 2018 died with about 2.5 yrs and 30k miles. They're junk! I went with a Group 94 AGM Northstar (re-labeled as "X2") battery for about $300 from my local Batteries Plus store. 60 month full replacement warranty and should last even longer. It has higher cca and reserve capacity too. I went this route due to having a winch, lights, etc. and not wanting to be stuck off road with an inferior battery.

Every Jeep owner, regardless if eTorque or not, would benefit by replacing their stock 12V starting battery with a better one. I'll be replacing the one in my 2019 soon, before it has a chance to even think of dying!
That extra $100 for a battery is something I will do the next go round. This trip we’re taking is past expensive, the wife is starting to eyeball me, and I think I should be good for another 1.5 years lol.

The shop owner showed his Northstar with brass terminals. 👍🏼

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That extra $100 for a battery is something I will do the next go round. This trip we’re taking is past expensive, the wife is starting to eyeball me, and I think I should be good for another 1.5 years lol.

The shop owner showed his Northstar with brass terminals. 👍🏼
I hate it when the wife does that to me!! 🤨

What I've learned is the X2 is a re-branded Northstar and Northstar is made by Odyssey. Any one of those 3 are well worth the money. I was wanting an Odyssey, but for whatever reason the X2/Northstar specs (CCA's, Reserve Capacity, etc) were better than the same group sized Odyssey battery.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350

It is ASTONISHING the junk they try to pass off as good batteries. :mad:

I have had my Jeep for 6 months, when I hit the one year mark in November I am going to get the Genesis Off Road dual battery setup. It is such a problem that I am going to spend over a grand to fix something i shouldn't have to fix.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

I have had my Jeep for 6 months, when I hit the one year mark in November I am going to get the Genesis Off Road dual battery setup. It is such a problem that I am going to spend over a grand to fix something i shouldn't have to fix.
Sounds like a $300 battery might be the way to go.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Yeah, I agree that the Genesis setup is the way to go. I still may go that route.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
wait... people actually leave the start/stop on when they drive around?
I do on the eTorque when street driving. It’s no problem. ESS system is a pain.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I plan on buying this Tazer thing just so I can permanently shut off the stupid ESS. I hated it when it first came out and I hate it still today.
Sponsored