Sponsored

Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
could have upgraded to the 392 wheel while you had it torn down

Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. {filename}
Does a 392 wheel have more torque than a 3.6L Rubicon wheel?
Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
I'll need to go back and check that. 37ft-lbs seems low, but I tightened the shit out of mine. Probably much more than 37 ft-lb.
I pulled it from another JL forum, but seems right. The torque setting for my Corvette steering wheel bolt is only 27 ft lb.

NJ2656

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green JL Rubicon
Iā€™ve been thinking about doing this. The glare I get on the windshield might not be a big deal to some but it annoys me to no end. Not to mention the chrome kinda clashes with the Sarge green and red.

navyflyer

First Name
ā€œChopperā€ Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi
Occupation
Airline pilot
Hey sbrimer, question for youā€¦.since you seem to be the resident expert on breaking down the steering wheelā€¦do you think itā€™s possible to swap the wires and/or re-run them for the volume and channel switches on the back fo the steering wheel swapping sides so volume control will be on the left and channel select on the right?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
sbrimer

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
Hey sbrimer, question for youā€¦.since you seem to be the resident expert on breaking down the steering wheelā€¦do you think itā€™s possible to swap the wires and/or re-run them for the volume and channel switches on the back fo the steering wheel swapping sides so volume control will be on the left and channel select on the right?

In theory yes, but it would require some modification. Both modules and the connections are identical. The wires themselves are not long enough to reach to the opposite module.

MerPinXEss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 4xe JLU
The whole wire loom would have to be unwrapped. From sbrimer's awesome photos you can see the 2 wires that come out of the main group and plug to the back buttons. Also once you get them to the other side you may still need to redo the plugs because they may be upside down.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 1651864868056

navyflyer

First Name
ā€œChopperā€ Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi
Occupation
Airline pilot
The whole wire loom would have to be unwrapped. From sbrimer's awesome photos you can see the 2 wires that come out of the main group and plug to the back buttons. Also once you get them to the other side you may still need to redo the plugs because they may be upside down.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 1651864868056
Perfect, thanks. Iā€™m gonna tackle that, on my list of things to do.

Wkywhitealtitude

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator, Jeep Wrangler JLU
What else did you do for all the other brushed aluminum looking pieces on interior

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve been thinking about doing this. The glare I get on the windshield might not be a big deal to some but it annoys me to no end.
I hated this too, but I put black electrical tape across the top of the wheel hub and that has mostly solved the problem, and doesn't look bad if carefully done.

FrostQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know I'm not the only one that is annoyed with the vol control being on the right side!
Sponsored