Sponsored

Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint.

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
I have a JLU Rubicon and most of the interior trim pieces are bright in a sort of brushed aluminum, actually plastic, color. I have gone through great lengths to get rid of as much of these trim pieces as I possibly could. The last remaining piece was the steering wheel bezel.

I have painted the dash panels Sarge Green, but painting the bezel and other interior trim pieces Sarge Green seemed too much for me. So, painting the shiny pieces black were the way that I was going to go.

I thought that simply painting the steering wheel bezel would eventually lead to paint scratching off during normal use.

While looking at a JL with the Sport trim, I noticed that the steering wheel bezel was black and not shiny. A little more research and I discovered that the part number is 6RN48TXDAA.

Here is the shiny bezel:
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_110242

Here is the black bezel:
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_095700

This is a really easy process and can be done by anyone with even the smallest amount of mechanical skill. The entire process took me about 2 hours, including photos.

Here are the tools that you will need for this job.
Torx bit T-20
Torx bit T-10
Small flat head screw driver
24mm socket
Blue Lock-Tite.

The first thing to do is remove the fuse for the horn; fuse #F91. You really want to do this. During the horn removal, you will activate the horn several times if the fuse remains in tact.

Use a small screwdriver to remove two small plastic covers on the rear of each side of the steering wheel. These covers are side specific so ensure you keep them separate. If you get confused, the covers have two small prongs on the back of each, and the short prong goes to the top.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_125053

Behind each cover there will be a 10mm bolt. Remove this bolt from each side.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_125114

Pull the horn/airbag assembly forward slightly and you will see several yellow and orange wrapped bundle of wires. These must be disconnected.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_125336

The yellow bundles are color coded and are easily replaced. To remove, place a small screwdriver under the red cap and slightly lift upward. Once the red cap is up, unplug the connectors. The bundle of yellow wires are secured to the back of the airbag assembly with a black wire loom anchor. Lift the black wire loom anchor and remove it. All of the yellow wires will now be loose.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_125419

The black wires activate the horn and need to be removed.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_130321

Don't waste you time trying to figure out the plug. Simply unplug the female wire connectors, then slide the connector out of the holder.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_130345

The horn assembly will now be completely free. Move it off to the side until re-assembly.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_130406

Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_130412

Return to the steering wheel and you will see a black plug and a white plug on each side of the steering wheel nut. Push the release and unplug both the black and white connectors.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_130458

Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_130509

Use the 24mm socket to remove the nut that secures the steering wheel. You will see a notch on the threaded steering wheel rod. This notch will help you properly align your steering wheel upon re-assembly. The notch on the stem lined up with the part number on my steering wheel, but I put a small red dot on my steering wheel as a reference.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_130605

Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_130747

Now, pull the steering wheel forward. The steering wheel is splined, so you may have to slightly wiggle the wheel while pulling forward. Once the steering wheel clears the threaded rod, you will need to guide the bundle of yellow wires through the steering wheel. All of the orange wires will remain in the steering wheel.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_130947

Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_130939

Turn the steering wheel over and remove the 4 black screws with the T-20.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_131555

Remove the 2 silver screws located at the bottom of the steering wheel with the T-10.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_131722

Two more T-20 screws must be removed and they are slightly hidden. While looking at the rear of the steering wheel you will see two small triangular shaped covers.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_131850

Using a small screwdriver, lift and remove the covers.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_131924

Once the covers are removed, you will see a small T-20 screw that must be removed from each side.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_131930

Once the screw is removed simply lift up on the control module. On the backside you will see a small plug. Use a small screwdriver and unplug the module.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_132220

The shiny bezel can now be removed. Turn the steering over and use your fingernails to lift up the bezel.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_132551

The control modules that are attached to the shiny bezel must now be removed. Turn the bezel over and use a small screwdriver to unplug the module.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_132643

Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_132707

Once the modules are unplugged, the bezel will be completely separated from the steering wheel. The modules must be removed from the bezel. Each module has 4, T-10 Torx screws that must be removed. DO NOT REMOVE THE PHILLIPS SCREWS. This will separate and possibly destroy the module.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_132805

Once the screws are removed, simply lift the module and remove it from the bezel.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_133122

There is black spacer that held the module in place on the shiny bezel. This must also be removed. From the center, push the spacer slightly down and towards the outside. The spacer will simply slide out. The spacers are side specific, but they only fit one way.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_133245

Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_133558

You will see that the spacer has 3 slots that fit onto the new bezel.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_133644

Angle the spacer up from the bottom of the new bezel and it will snap into place.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_133735

Simply reverse this entire process and everything will go back together easily.

When you are replacing the the screw on the steering wheel, use blue lock-tite to ensure the steering wheel does not come loose.
Pay close attention when running the wires upon re-assembly, there isn't much room. If the horn assembly does not easily return so you can thread the 10mm bolts, then the yellow or orange wire bundles are not properly ran.

This was a very detailed description, but it is not that difficult.

I do like the end result. Here is a comparison.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_110242

Jeep Wrangler JL Changed the steering wheel bezel from shiny to black, but didn't use paint. 20220424_142740
Sponsored

Last edited:

Deleted member 59498

Holy hell that was a lot to go through.

On another note love the Green Dash on a Sarge Green Jeep!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Nice, now it matches your pistol! I'm like you, I have a deep dislike for shiny trim.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Great write up. Lots of detail.

But I'm not using 2 hours of my life for it.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Thanks for taking the trouble to document that so well. I will be ordering that part. I DESPISE reflective surfaces in the cockpit of a vehicle.

Where did you source your shifter knobs? I like those. The silver Jeep on the factory shift knob is on my hit list.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Think it looks better! Really not a fan of fake silver or fake chrome painted plastic trim pieces. Safety and price aside, it would look a million times nicer if they'd use actual metals for accent pieces instead. Or at the very least, color-match any trim accents to match the body color.

OP
OP
sbrimer

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
Thanks for taking the trouble to document that so well. I will be ordering that part. I DESPISE reflective surfaces in the cockpit of a vehicle.

Where did you source your shifter knobs? I like those. The silver Jeep on the factory shift knob is on my hit list.

I really like the shift knobs. They came from speeddawg.com. if you go with speed dawg, on an automatic, the red pull lever goes away and in order to move the transmission, you push down on top of the knob. Very easy. You can adjust the knob where you don't have to do anything to move through the gears; you simply move it.

I did not adjust mine this way.

Sponsored

Rubigone

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Super great write up with lots of details, but please disconnect the battery when working on airbags 😨

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Don't foget to torque the steering wheel nut to 37 ft-lb upon reassembly. :like:

OP
OP
sbrimer

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
Don't foget to torque the steering wheel nut to 37 ft-lb upon reassembly. :like:

I'll need to go back and check that. 37ft-lbs seems low, but I tightened the shit out of mine. Probably much more than 37 ft-lb.