Change My Coil Springs?

KatBot

First Name
Kathy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
Hi, I'm new here. We just changed the shocks on my Jeep to Fox 2.0 and have the Fox steering stabilizer to replace the original. My husband was saying I needed to change the coil springs as well. I don't neccessarily want to lift my 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL.
My jeep hit a bump in the road and although the new shocks were much better, we still heard a slight bottoming out sound. I guess what I'm asking is your opinion on what brand coil spring I should get to replace the ones I have which are stock. We like to fish on Matagorda Beach in Texas and sometimes it gets a little rough driving on the sand. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
You do not need to replace springs unless they’re worn out, or you want to lift your Jeep. The Fox shocks are fine with stock springs as long as they are the correct shocks for a “stock height” application.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Hi, I'm new here. We just changed the shocks on my Jeep to Fox 2.0 and have the Fox steering stabilizer to replace the original. My husband was saying I needed to change the coil springs as well. I don't neccessarily want to lift my 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL.
My jeep hit a bump in the road and although the new shocks were much better, we still heard a slight bottoming out sound. I guess what I'm asking is your opinion on what brand coil spring I should get to replace the ones I have which are stock. We like to fish on Matagorda Beach in Texas and sometimes it gets a little rough driving on the sand. Thank you in advance.
You’ve really got two choices, increase the spring rate which will increase the ride stiffness, or add some up travel with taller springs or spacers.

You could consider a set of hydro bumps, but I don’t think they’ll fit at stock sport ride height, and they are expensive.

My initial thought would be a leveling kit, which would be a spacer in the front which would take the rake out and gain a little more up travel, or just live with it, that’s what the bump stops are there for.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Kathy,

If you installed Fox 2.0 shocks, Part numbers 985-24-171 & 985-24-172. These shocks are for a Rubicon with a lift of 0-1.5"................Your Unlimited Sport has a much lower ride height (different springs) you maybe bottoming out your shock......Please have someone verify.....bottoming out your new shocks will damage them.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Kathy,

If you installed Fox 2.0 shocks, Part numbers 985-24-171 & 985-24-172. These shocks are for a Rubicon with a lift of 0-1.5"................Your Unlimited Sport has a much lower ride height (different springs) you maybe bottoming out your shock......Please have someone verify.....bottoming out your new shocks will damage them.
The front compressed length of the Foxes is 16.25" which is also the metal to metal (with springs and jounce bumpers removed) minimum bump. With the stock jounce bumpers in there should be enough protection for the compressed length.

The bigger issue is that there is only 2.25" maximum bump/up travel in stock configuration on the sport (that's the jounce compressed to zero, which it probably doesn't do), so she's got to be hitting jounce bumpers an inch or so into the up travel.

Here's what the measurements look like now, pay attention to the front Bump travel.

Jeep Wrangler JL Change My Coil Springs? 1639494090163

OP, let me give you two inexpensive scenarios to consider.

First, I'm not sure how much rake you have right now, but if you've got a 1/2" to 3/4" you could simply install small spacers in the front to give you some extra up travel, I don't think you are spring binding so this would give you some extra room for the springs to absorb the bumps in the front, and will not impact spring rate, so it will not effect your ride quality. Here's 3/4", you can ignore the rear:
Jeep Wrangler JL Change My Coil Springs? 1639494247910

Another option is to buy a set of take off (or new) Rubicon springs, that will add about 1.5" of height. May ride slightly stiffer due to increase spring rate:
Jeep Wrangler JL Change My Coil Springs? 1639494345730

As you can see, your uptravel is directly related to any height you add.

Edit: To help with visualization of this, i've grabbed a couple pics from an old thread on here. Your bump/up travel is the distance from the black pad inside the spring up compressing the tan jounce bumpers, hopefully that makes sense.

Sport:
Jeep Wrangler JL Change My Coil Springs? 1639494598868

Rubicon:
Jeep Wrangler JL Change My Coil Springs? 1639494591498

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I finally found where I bought the shocks. According to them the lift was 0-1.5 lift on front and rear.

https://www.shocksurplus.com/produc...ks-set-for-2018-2020-jeep-wrangler-4wd-rwd-jl
yeah those shocks are designed for a Rubicon, not a sport. I dont think you can bottom out the shocks, since youll hit bumpstops before the shock compress.

Regardless, the way I understand it. You need your shock to be extended to a certain length 1/3~2/3 I believe it is. At riding height. The shocks dampen the vibration of your springs, so you're not bouncing around. For the shock to do its job properly it needs to be at that length.

So all you gotta do is take a tape measure and measure the eye-to-eye mounting points for the shocks. Then you compare that to the shocks full extended length and that will let you know how much lift you gonna have to add to your Jeep.

If you want the best ride from your jeep with those shocks. You are gonna have to lift. I don't think the clunk you hear is your shock bottoming out.

OP
OP
KatBot

KatBot

First Name
Kathy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kathy,

I finally found where I bought the shocks. According to them the lift was 0-1.5 lift on front and rear.

https://www.shocksurplus.com/produc...ks-set-for-2018-2020-jeep-wrangler-4wd-rwd-jl

OP
OP
KatBot

KatBot

First Name
Kathy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah thats 0-1.5 for a rubicon, not a sport. I dont think you can bottom out the shocks, since youll hit bumpstops before the shock compress.
Okay, do I need some taller springs? I spent $700+ on those shocks (I know that is still cheaper than other shocks) and they are already on the jeep. Can I put a spacer on the springs or should I go ahead and get new springs?
I also have the Fox Steering Stabilizer shock. Should I send it back?

Jeep Wrangler JL Change My Coil Springs? 267540823_10228166323401800_6409132327401531083_n

Last edited:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Okay, do I need some taller spring? I spent $700. on those springs and they are already on the jeep. Can I put a spacer on the springs or should I go ahead and get newer springs?
I also have the Fox Steering Stabilizer shock. Should I send it back?

Jeep Wrangler JL Change My Coil Springs? 267540823_10228166323401800_6409132327401531083_n
The stabilizer is fine. I would just buy springs from a rubicon or the teraflex leveling spacer kit.

OP
OP
KatBot

KatBot

First Name
Kathy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The stabilizer is fine. I would just buy springs from a rubicon or the teraflex leveling spacer kit.
I was going to mention that the shocks were compressed with a plastic strap. It was still longer than the bottom of where the shock went. I've changed shocks before myself on a 1980 ford stepside pickup, but no way could I have done that myself

Sponsored

OP
OP
KatBot

KatBot

First Name
Kathy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah those shocks are designed for a Rubicon, not a sport. I dont think you can bottom out the shocks, since youll hit bumpstops before the shock compress.

Regardless, the way I understand it. You need your shock to be extended to a certain length 1/3~2/3 I believe it is. At riding height. The shocks dampen the vibration of your springs, so you're not bouncing around. For the shock to do its job properly it needs to be at that length.

So all you gotta do is take a tape measure and measure the eye-to-eye mounting points for the shocks. Then you compare that to the shocks full extended length and that will let you know how much lift you gonna have to add to your Jeep.

If you want the best ride from your jeep with those shocks. You are gonna have to lift. I don't think the clunk you hear is your shock bottoming out.
Well lift it is. Thank you. Will I have to change out anything else? Should I search for a Unlimited Sport JL lift kit? I don't want to make the same mistake.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I don't know if this applies to your question(s), but generally, springs hold the weight (the vehicle and additional weight added) while the shocks manage the way the vehicle rides.

Springs hold the weight at a given height.
Shocks (dampers) dampen the "shock" of the road imperfections.

So, if you want to manage the way the vehicle responds to the terrain, you would look for shocks/dampers that manage the terrain and weight you're carrying. Obviously this changes depending on whether you're driving to the beach, or driving on the beach...or rocks, or desert, etc. Shocks are typically made based on lengths (compressed/extended) and do not truly address the vehicle weight or terrain, but are a compromise. What you, and everyone else, bought is a compromise.

So, you need to determine if you need additional height so you have more length to compress, or whether you need to address ride quality (damping), or both. If it's just a matter of not bottoming, but you like your current ride quality, you can probably get by with taller springs.

OP
OP
KatBot

KatBot

First Name
Kathy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know if this applies to your question(s), but generally, springs hold the weight (the vehicle and additional weight added) while the shocks manage the way the vehicle rides.

Springs hold the weight at a given height.
Shocks (dampers) dampen the "shock" of the road imperfections.

So, if you want to manage the way the vehicle responds to the terrain, you would look for shocks/dampers that manage the terrain and weight you're carrying. Obviously this changes depending on whether you're driving to the beach, or driving on the beach...or rocks, or desert, etc. Shocks are typically made based on lengths (compressed/extended) and do not truly address the vehicle weight or terrain, but are a compromise. What you, and everyone else, bought is a compromise.

So, you need to determine if you need additional height so you have more length to compress, or whether you need to address ride quality (damping), or both. If it's just a matter of not bottoming, but you like your current ride quality, you can probably get by with taller springs.
The ride is much better than it was before we took the mopar shocks off. I could compress those myself and I'm not as strong as I used to be as I'm 60 now. Age is just a number.

OP
OP
KatBot

KatBot

First Name
Kathy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have another question about the side to side motion of the Jeep as it travels on hard top roads. They just widened a bridge here and the road before it makes my jeep feel like it's rocking. Like 1 person is on the drivers side and the other on the passenger side pushing it. Like a rocking motion. Is that normal for a Jeep? It's not as bad as it used to be since they put more asphalt on it but I can still feel it in a few places before the bridge and keep my both hands on the wheel.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I have another question about the side to side motion of the Jeep as it travels on hard top roads. They just widened a bridge here and the road before it makes my jeep feel like it's rocking. Like 1 person is on the drivers side and the other on the passenger side pushing it. Like a rocking motion. Is that normal for a Jeep? It's not as bad as it used to be since they put more asphalt on it but I can still feel it in a few places before the bridge and keep my both hands on the wheel.
Youre feeling the effects of a dependant suspension, aka solid front axle. Very different than driving an independent suspension. Jeeps ride a little funky compared to most modern cars.

If you install a small spacer lift or rubicon shocks you shouldnt need anything else. It is a good idea to get longer or adjustable lower control arms to keep good caster.
Sponsored