2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon, 21 Willys, 22 Rubicon
Hey everyone,

So I had a 2019 rubicon 4 door with at the time was the upgraded alpine audio system. With the audio, Bluetooth or plugged in phone via cable the audio level was the same. Bass and volume was the same.
Now I have a 2022 Rubicon 4 door where the once upgraded audio is now standard. When I’m on Bluetooth playing iPhone music the volume is less. Not as much bass etc. when I’m plugged in, boom total difference.
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? Anyone else notice this? I can’t fathom why the sound quality/volume changes. This issue didn’t exist before.
Sponsored

SoCalRider9

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Freedom '23
This has always been a constant in terms of bluetooth vs direct plug in, at least in my experience not only in my JLU but also other vehicles. Direct connect will always sound fuller and stronger.

jgo138

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Occupation
Education
Pretty sure it's a bandwidth/codec issue. I always thought wired vs bluetooth is the same as "line out" vs "speaker/headphone out", respectively, on other audio devices. Bluetooth allows you to adjust volume on the phone, while wired seems to be similar to lossless audio/line out. According to Apple, only wired Carplay supports their lossless audio codec. https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT212183

Also, page 57 in this Apple presentation explains a bit. Dammit- now you have me going down a rabbit hole!

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?
Adjust the volume on your phone when playing over Bluetooth. You may need to bring the volume up, to match what it is like when physically connected.

Also, make sure the radio volume is set properly.

OP
OP
2019RubiconNY

2019RubiconNY

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon, 21 Willys, 22 Rubicon
Adjust the volume on your phone when playing over Bluetooth. You may need to bring the volume up, to match what it is like when physically connected.

Also, make sure the radio volume is set properly.

Yes I’ve done that. But still doesn’t sound the same. I swear this noticeable difference did not exist on the 2019. Both ways were real strong in quality

Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
As others have noted, the Bluetooth signal isn’t transmitting as much information as a wired connection does. It is compressed, which by definition means certain frequencies are being lost.

Your only solution is to plug in.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I just hit the volume button to full, on the phone. That always takes care of it for me.
Sponsored