T.T.T

T.T.T

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jl 6spd, ā€˜01 Tj Sahara 5spd
Anyone know why there is so much conflicting notes on which gear oil to use?
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
On the other hand, manufactures arenā€™t going to provide advice that promotes long term care beyond warranty. They want you to come back to purchase another vehicle!
That may be true. However, what refutes this is the following:

Back 50 years ago when car companies required break-in oil to be changed, cars were lucky to get 60,000 ā€˜trouble freeā€™ miles even if you followed this requirement and faithfully followed all other schedules too. Today with a new car they donā€™t recommend changing oil early and cars routinely get 150,000-miles plus ā€˜trouble freeā€™ (far, far beyond warranty).

I have heard for 50-years that car manufacturers publish ā€œskimpy/wrongā€ maintenance guides so that your car wears out prematurely and you need to buy another one. Personally, I think that they may actually publish schedules that call for you bringing a car to the deal for ā€œroutineā€ maintenance too often (so they can charge you for something else) rather than too little.

Punk'n Head

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport
I did my oil at 1k miles. and plan to do it every 5-6K miles.
i have a cobalt that i followed this schedule and beat the living hell out of it, and after 242k miles still going strong.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I always change my oil on new cars at 500miles. Mostly so i know a quality oil is in the engine. With my JL i picked up 2mpg switching to mobil 1 AP.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
I dont know about Jeep but Honda puts break in oil in their cars with anti wear additives, so they advise against changing their oil early. I am not sure if Jeep does the same thing or not. Havent been able to find any info out.

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
500 miles is pushing it. I always keep a jug of Pennzoil 0-20w, a Mopar filter, and an oil catch pan in my Rubicon so I can change the oil at every fuel stop.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I always change my oil on new cars at 500miles. Mostly so i know a quality oil is in the engine. With my JL i picked up 2mpg switching to mobil 1 AP.
2mpg? I want to be polite.. but utter bull crap! If Jeep engineers knew switching to Mobil 1 could save them 2 mpgs they would have already done so instead of spending millions and years on r&d just to shave off fractions of mpgs on the JL, and the stock pennzoil full synthetic used in the JLs are better than Mobil 1 anyways...

You must be from an old camp, because these new vehicles are not running on canola oil right out of factory.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
2mpg? I want to be polite.. but utter bull crap! If Jeep engineers knew switching to Mobil 1 could save them 2 mpgs they would have already done so instead of spending millions and years on r&d just to shave off fractions of mpgs on the JL, and the stock pennzoil full synthetic used in the JLs are better than Mobil 1 anyways...

You must be from an old camp, because these new vehicles are not running on canola oil right out of factory.
17 to 19mpg on the cluster, nothing else changed. I am not the first here to report the same.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
500 miles is pushing it. I always keep a jug of Pennzoil 0-20w, a Mopar filter, and an oil catch pan in my Rubicon so I can change the oil at every fuel stop.
LOL.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
OP.. Change the oil when you feel like it. No one here is paying for YOUR oil changes, so you will get a wide range of opinions. If you're polling on what others are to doing to advise you of what you should do, I personally will change my first at 2000 and 5000-8000 there after. The first tranny and axles fluid will be at 5000 and 10000 to 15000 afterwards.
Sponsored

Last edited: