Sponsored

Change directions or start over?

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I have a decently built 19 JLUR on 37”s. (Ultimate 44 front, trussed and chromo’d rear, beadlocks, 3.5” lift, King remote reservoirs and hydro bumps all around, hydro assist, etc.) I’m pondering 40”s or even 42”s, but that’s a completely different build, and I’d go double triangulated rear, etc…

Would you sell current Jeep (32,000 miles) and start over with something new, or go back to the drawing board with current Jeep and sell the used parts? Or try to find a build similar to what I’m pondering and buy one mostly done for bigger tires?

Jeep Wrangler JL Change directions or start over? CAEC314D-8DAA-46B8-ACD3-B7A8F68390CC
Sponsored

Last edited:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
It sounds like you want an all out rock monster. I have a couple of friends who were doing the same as you, years back. They finally decided to get a couple of old ragged out TJ's, for next to nothing. They rebuilt them, from the ground up, with extreme parts, V8's, and heavy duty automatic transmissions. They kept the lightly modded newer jeeps for light trails, and running around town. The built up jeeps were still street drivable, but bad ass on the trails.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Been there done that. While it was awesome to have a dedicated trail rig. I missed driving it daily. One thing to consider, if you sell it you will never get what the parts are worth separately. If you really want to build it my vote is build this one that you know the history and details of.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I'm gonna be a vote for 2 separate rigs. For a few reasons:

1) If you have 1 rig, there will always be compromises. You'll have to keep AC in a street rig, but you could save that weight in a trail rig. You can't put the absolute best parts on a street rig, but you can on a trail rig.

2) You gotta be careful with a street rig. If you total it, or damage it, you're out a car for a while. If you total a trail rig . . . well, there's no such thing. It's just how long until you can repair it.

3) A maxxed out trail rig is no fun on the street. A streetable rig isn't nearly as capable on a trail.

I raced a 2000 Trans Am for 9 years. For the first 6 years, it was a dual purpose car. Autox and track days, then drive home in the same car. I had to haul a tire trailer behind it (for tires and tools), had to keep AC and seats in it, couldn't put in a roll cage or proper harnesses, etc. It was fun, but rough riding and loud on the street, and good-but-not-great on the track.

Then, I got myself a beater daily driver (Saturn Ion) and turned the TA into a road race car. Cage, custom suspension, power, drivetrain, weight removal, etc. And, in 2009, won the LA state championship in my class (GT2).

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I'd build a buggy or buy a Polaris or something.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

honestly, I don't see a point to buy a whole new jeep just to build it up. your axles, wheels and tires will sell. figure your going to go one ton axles and full suspension. you can do a package deal with your current setup and make back a good amount but it will never be the full amount. sweet rig btw

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I’d second the option of a 2nd rig. That way you can put together a dedicated off road beast. It’ll drive like crap on the road, but who cares IF it’s just for off-roading. Pick up a old CJ, YJ, or TJ and go for it . Years ago buddy had an ancient CJ with a 283 Chevy, truck axles, etc. Most uncomfortable thing you ever saw on a road but a beast in the mud…

OP
OP
1996cc

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I should note, this doesn’t have to be my daily driver. I also have a pickup I can DD. But my wife has made it clear that she wants to have a nice comfortable rig (on the inside). Also I want it streetable. Most of my local wheeling, I drive to the trail. Longer trips I trailer it already. So while I’ll do harder stuff (Moab, Sand Hallow, Rubicon), it won’t be bouncing through rocks at the Hammers…

Last edited:
OP
OP
1996cc

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Been there done that. While it was awesome to have a dedicated trail rig. I missed driving it daily. One thing to consider, if you sell it you will never get what the parts are worth separately. If you really want to build it my vote is build this one that you know the history and details of.
Knowing the history *might* be a reason to sell it 🤷🏼‍♂️

470A4879-B337-4252-A98D-9B86BB656FFE.jpeg

OP
OP
1996cc

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I'd build a buggy or buy a Polaris or something.
I want a full body, street legal rig. Those options don’t play well with the PNW weather we have…

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
You want what you want, I get that, but the buggy and RZR play really well in the PNW weather, from snow to sand.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
If you get 40's they will be a placeholder until you get 42's. I know it, you know it, your wife knows it. So go straight to 42's and save some coin.

I have a built CJ-7; linked, tons, 43's. If you see steep muddy climbs or sand dunes you need V-8 power to clean tires of this size, and I don't mean a wheezing AMC 304 or Chevy TBI 350. So as I see it you have two options. You can build your current rig and include a healthy V-8 swap in the plan or get a 392 and build that. The first option is cheaper, but you are replacing the axles, wheels, suspension, engine and transmission. Might as well sell your rig and buy a used Sahara or something. The 392 option is going to be a lot simpler and will pass emissions if that is a consideration.
Sponsored