Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
This weekend we encountered a heck of a lot of fallen trees on the trail that we had to move, drive around or over. Is there a decent battery powered chain saw that would be good for the trails?
Sponsored

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have the EGO 14" and absolutely love it. Rips right through logs. I have two batteries for it but have never had to use the second battery. Highly recommend.

OP
OP
Focker

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I have the EGO 14" and absolutely love it. Rips right through logs. I have two batteries for it but have never had to use the second battery. Highly recommend.
Looks like it has good reviews, going to do some research now. I wish Milwaukee made one at a reasonable price so I could use batteries in one tool system.

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
thinking of giving this one a try...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Focker

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
thinking of giving this one a try...

That's what I'm talkin' about! Clean, no smell, light, no maintenance and who wants to end a good day on the trail because a fallen tree is in the way.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
That's what I'm talkin' about! Clean, no smell, light, no maintenance and who wants to end a good day on the trail because a fallen tree is in the way.
That is the saw I have. Cuts amazing. Not cheap and the chain is thin but quick. Highly recommend.

OP
OP
Focker

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Because I needed an impact for LCA installation for the factory tightening procedure due to my torque wrench stopping at 150 lb ft, I purchased the Kobalt 24v 650 lb ft rated impact. The 450 and 500 rated ones I used didn’t have enough torque to break the bolts loose. That got me looking at that brand a little more.

I was looking at the DeWalt 12” chainsaw with 20v and 5 amp hour battery but seeing as I own the Kobalt impact and don’t want a bunch of different chargers, I plan to get the $179 12” bar Kobalt chainsaw. The battery is a little smaller at 4 amp hours but it should suffice for the occasional encounter with an average tree. If not, I guess I’ll have to go to plan B. Space will be at a premium so I want it compact.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I already have a small Stihl chainsaw. It runs no matter what. With that said, I buy the 1 quart premixed fuel to take with me in the Jeep.

Like this.
70108710204-Stihl-MotoMix-Pre-mIxed-Fuel-Quart.jpg

and a small bottle of chain oil. This fuel takes up less space than the batter charger. I already carry other liquids like oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, etc with me and throwing in this small bottle of fuel is not a big deal. It surely is not enough to motivate me to buy another saw. The I have a Stihl saw that is at least 30 years old and has cut thousands of cords of wood over the years and still runs great. I will never wear out the small saw that I use for Jeeping and small stuff around the property.

Out Jeeping, I have never even had to add fuel to the saw after cutting trees along the trail and to cut enough firewood for two nights of camping.

I am getting ready to build a chainsaw holder that I can bolt to the roll bar in the Jeep. I made one recently for the tractor out of a piece of two inch PVC. You heat the PVC up in the oven at 250 degrees for about 40 minutes and then mold it as a bar holster. It is cheap and works great.

I figure I can bolt it to where the soft top bolt to the roll bar. The pic is the one I made a couple weeks ago for the tractor.

65356406784_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=l5mVk_9F0Z8AX_6ktSF&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-1.jpg

dmc3csc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
This weekend we encountered a heck of a lot of fallen trees on the trail that we had to move, drive around or over. Is there a decent battery powered chain saw that would be good for the trails?
I have a Dewalt 20v DCCS620. Very surprising for an electric, light weight and quiet. A local place had them on special for $89 bare tool. Since I already have several other Dewalt tools this was the obvious choice for me.

OP
OP
Focker

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up buying a Stihl MSA 140C today. Very compact, good reviews and came with 2 batteries. I will pick up the weed eater and hedge trimmer to go with it next but this will keep us rolling on the trail for now.

Last edited:

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Too late for OP but the Milwaukee M18 is awesome. I put an Oregon bar on mine but it worked well enough OEM. 16" bar is standard.

I'm swimming in M18 tools and 9.0 and 12.0 batts so I never run out of power.

This does 90% of my cutting on my 35 acres. I heat house and shop w wood in the winter.
Sponsored