Ceramic Coating.... Yes or No?

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Had a porch with ceramic, so I learned a bit, and apply this rule to my jeep:
1. Do I want to enjoy the jeep.....then don't do it.
2. Do I want to worry about the ceramic coat looking beautiful....don't buy a jeep.
Sponsored

RidgeRider

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I have a sports car with Xpel wrap and Gyeon both professionally applied and it turned out awesome. Did the same thing on my Rubicon which cost nearly $5k. I found that lots of dirt and mud on the coating reduces its "just hose off" effectiveness but I suspect that it cleans up easier than factory paint. The Xpel has been effective at repelling brush scrapes, rock nicks, etc. However, the Wrangler has so many tight curves that even with the computer cutting and professional clean-room type installation, it is nearly impossible to get a perfect fit on some of the Xpel edges and you just have to live with it. After 2 years, I would say that Xpel is worth it if you consider the likely ding to resale with a bunch of scratches. The ceramic is more questionable but if you go DIY, you don't have much to lose as long as you don't make anything worse. If you do ceramic on the factory paint rather than over the top of Xpel, I understand that it has to be ground off before any paint repair can be done so this would be a complication.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Does the clay bar/detailed washing/polishing/decontaminating really do that much on a new vehicle when you're prepping it for a ceramic coating? Wouldn't a good thorough cleaning be sufficient?

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
Does the clay bar/detailed washing/polishing/decontaminating really do that much on a new vehicle when you're prepping it for a ceramic coating? Wouldn't a good thorough cleaning be sufficient?
Yes. Go to Esoteric Detailing’s website or YouTube and watch their videos. Even a brand new car needs the full Monty. Rail dust imbedded in the paint and whatnot. It’s a pain, but if your going to do it right then it’s gonna take some work.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
At first, I was going to say it's not a big deal for a new car but then reread the question. Yes, it's a big deal with Ceramic Coatings because they're very picky. By very picky, I mean it needs just about a perfectly clean surface to bond to. Applying a Ceramic Coating isn't hard, but the prep involves a lot of labor. That labor is needed for the Ceramic Boating to bond and set.

Sponsored

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
I’m a huge fan of XPEL but would not bother with ceramic again (I have CQ Finest on my Range Rover as well as XPEL; the XPEL has definitely saved me from scratches and rock chips). I did neither on my 392 but considered XPEL. Honestly cheaper and easier to get waxed/detailed more regularly.

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
I’m a huge fan of XPEL but would not bother with ceramic again (I have CQ Finest on my Range Rover as well as XPEL; the XPEL has definitely saved me from scratches and rock chips). I did neither on my 392 but considered XPEL. Honestly cheaper and easier to get waxed/detailed more regularly.
I'm struggling with the idea of PPF on my JLR. I love a clean Jeep, as much as I love running in mud, the desert and brush. 5k for Llumar Valor to cover the paint just makes my head hurt. Do you have pretty good luck with keeping your 392 looking good with the wax?

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
I'm struggling with the idea of PPF on my JLR. I love a clean Jeep, as much as I love running in mud, the desert and brush. 5k for Llumar Valor to cover the paint just makes my head hurt. Do you have pretty good luck with keeping your 392 looking good with the wax?
I keep the Jeep pretty clean, but to be fair it is generally garaged day and night and I haven’t driven much in inclement weather (it’s only been driven in rain a couple times when I couldn’t avoid it). I’m also less anal about keeping the Jeep clean as I feel some (not a lot!) dirt is ok. It gets driven in sand a decent amount in the summer.

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
Well reading all this brings some questions up. I did do a ceramic coat when I bought my jeep, I did it myself, just cause I do think it makes it a quicker cleaning. I just go to a spray off booth, and spray it down, don't worry about drying or waxing or anything else. The coating just makes is clean better in my opinion.

But now I am thinking of getting the XPEL film on my doors and hood. I think the doors and fenders will take a beating, and I do not like long scratches down the side. And on the hood will protect it from road rash. Anything that chips the paint down to metal will rust if not addressed, so this will just keep me from worrying about touching it up on a regular basis.

The only thing that I am not sure about, is how does the XPEL look after a year of getting scratched up? I would love to see what someones looks like after a year or two of hitting trails.

Third world problems, these are the things that keep me up at night.

Gorpf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21-392, AEV-JL370
Occupation
Retired
The only thing that I am not sure about, is how does the XPEL look after a year of getting scratched up? I would love to see what someones looks like after a year or two of hitting trails.

Third world problems, these are the things that keep me up at night.
Ditto. Supposed to self heal but haven’t actually seen it.

In past experience the protection films would turn yellow and/or begin cracking after 4-5 years and need to be replaced. However, the Xpel film comes with a 10 year warranty. I assume the film tech has improved?

Also, am personally reluctant to have parts and badges removed/replaced or to leave the vehicle overnight or longer anywhere I do not have control over.

Sponsored

rainmaker86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio TI Sprt, 22 JLURD (On Order)

In past experience the protection films would turn yellow and/or begin cracking after 4-5 years and need to be replaced. However, the Xpel film comes with a 10 year warranty. I assume the film tech has improved?

Also, am personally reluctant to have parts and badges removed/replaced or to leave the vehicle overnight or longer anywhere I do not have control over.
I have xpel film on my 2010 genesis coupe put on after delivery still looks perfect.

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
damn near retired
I have xpel film on my 2010 genesis coupe put on after delivery still looks perfect.
Does it look like a nicely waxed vehicle? Do you apply anything to it to help it shine.

Great to hear that it looks good after all these years. I am going to go up to the shop this weekend to see if they have any samples as to what it looks like. Seeing it in person is the only way to know if I will like it.

Thanks for the reply, sound promising so far.

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
damn near retired

I hear ya on letting someone have my Jeep for a few days. I am the same way. Nobody takes as good of care of my things as I do. So letting someone take it for a few days is not a pleasant thought. But sometimes you have to let the pro's do their job.

rainmaker86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio TI Sprt, 22 JLURD (On Order)
Does it look like a nicely waxed vehicle? Do you apply anything to it to help it shine.

Great to hear that it looks good after all these years. I am going to go up to the shop this weekend to see if they have any samples as to what it looks like. Seeing it in person is the only way to know if I will like it.

Paint Thanks for the reply, sound promising so far.
I 2 stage paint corrected it last year and used cquartz light(ceramic coating)
Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic Coating.... Yes or No? 508B31B4-11C3-406E-A388-8A55417290C9
the only parts that have xpel are the bumper, hood, mirrors, door handles, a small spat on the front fenders and the door sils.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Not worth the cost. There are plenty of good waxes and sealers available out there that are a breeze to apply and will get you 6 months of protection for like $40-50 a bottle (and 4-5 applications to a bottle).

Personally, I use Pinnacle Souveran (liquid) but i'm not here to tell you it's the best. All I can say is it does the job. I did a full paint correction one time and now I just re-apply the wax quarterly, which takes about an hour each time. I buy one bottle each spring and it covers all three of my vehicles for the year. There are lots of good products just like this that will get you the protection you want without having to spend several thousand bucks.
Sponsored