Sponsored

Ceramic Coating.... Yes or No?

Deleted member 59498

Seems like a scam to me. Such as wax on wax off.
Sponsored

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
The Last Coat works for me….

0C860A91-8A20-4177-9573-1EEC46E174BE.jpeg

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i can't imagine anything is going to help with the Mesquite 'Desert Pinstriping' we deal with out west.
if the J**p gets used for what it's for, it's going to be obvious.

OP
OP
BeachPilot74

BeachPilot74

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR, 2013 F-F150
Occupation
Airline Pilot
WOW.. thanks for all the input! I know my jeep will get scratched to F as I use it. I was just thinking about being able to keep the current quality as close to new as possible, Keeping it nice as long as possible....That and the EASE of cleaning after coming off the trail. Believe me, My rig is going to get used as intended immensely!

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
WOW.. thanks for all the input! I know my jeep will get scratched to F as I use it. I was just thinking about being able to keep the current quality as close to new as possible, Keeping it nice as long as possible....That and the EASE of cleaning after coming off the trail. Believe me, My rig is going to get used as intended immensely!
If scratches are your thing, get PPF, Ceramic won't help with scratching. PPF is more money but legitimately protects the paint.

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
If scratches are your thing, get PPF, Ceramic won't help with scratching. PPF is more money but legitimately protects the paint.
Very true, I have friends that have done their Raptors in PPF and ceramic coated over that, but a cost of $6000 plus, which is a lot of coin. I know of people who have almost $9000 in paint protection between a cull wrap and the ceramic coating but there is a lot more to cover on a Raptor
The Expel ARMOR allows you to buy it as a pre-cut kit and install it your self and buy just the panel coverage you need, again not cheap but very effective due to its thickness

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Personally, I'm done with ceramic coatings. The CMX was useless and despite the one 'fix' they did on my 2016, the expense wasn't worth it for the dealer 'protection'.
I've tried mothers and meguiar's coatings, and wasn't thrilled with either of them. Yes, they are easy to apply, but I feel like they don't last a long time and aren't as good as the regular waxes.

In reading more, it looks like Mother's lasts about a month or two. I feel like Meguiar's is the same. I've read that Griot's is probably the longest lasting one out there.

I'll probably try Griot's next year and see how it works. After that, I may just go back to the regular carnuba waxes.

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
If you are going to do it yourself, make sure you do it right. First decontaminate the vehicle with iron remover, then clay bar it, then polish it. After all those steps and a good wipe down with a isopropyl mix you can then apply your coating. I recommend Zipang coat by Kamikaze. It is not cheap, but it’s really really good (last up to 5 years with proper maintenance). You’d have to get another coating for the wheels, and then something for the glass. To do it right yourself with good products, you will have around 600 bucks in material (assuming u already own a polisher). Or you can save yourself the headache and have a professional do it. Expect to pay around 1700-2000 dollars for a good job.
Good advice, and the same approach I took. Have a good friend that owns a high end detail business down south, and he sent me tools and product to do the job.
OUr JL was new at the time, so I clay'd it, hit it with buffing pad, alcohol wipe down and 2 coats of Cquartz UK. Water and decontaminate protection is great. I thought it would do a better job of paint protection for very light brush, leaves, etc., but no, not at all.
What i did find was the pin stripes were that much harder to buff out bc you first have to cut through the ceramic coat as well.
For a sports car that doesn't get driven much, ceramic is great, and makes the vehicle easy to wash every now and then. For a DD or anything that sees the trail. My opinion a couple coats of good wax will do just as well.
I have done all my own ceramic coating, and it is easy. hardest part is pacing myself with the beer between drying times!! lol

rainmaker86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio TI Sprt, 22 JLURD (On Order)
I've tried mothers and meguiar's coatings, and wasn't thrilled with either of them. Yes, they are easy to apply, but I feel like they don't last a long time and aren't as good as the regular waxes.

In reading more, it looks like Mother's lasts about a month or two. I feel like Meguiar's is the same. I've read that Griot's is probably the longest lasting one out there.

I'll probably try Griot's next year and see how it works. After that, I may just go back to the regular carnuba waxes.
if you want something that lets longer get cquartz or gtechniq both are great.

Sponsored

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
I corrected our new, jeep paintwork is quite poor, rubicon and applied gtechniq CSL and 2 coats of Exo v4. It's great stuff no doubt but anywhere on the sides where you get tire roost from the front tires, kiss the coating good bye. I'm not saying it has completely failed but it can't be long for this world. The rest is still great though. I personally wouldn't pay to have it done but it is a PITA to do properly, especially on a wrangler.

In all reality I guarantee any coating would fail or at least have a really hard time surviving from the same abuse. Mag chloride rocky mud flinging up on the lower doors is sure to destroy even something like crystal serum ultra, their "professional" coating.

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon 2dr ,2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr
I have been using Mother’s & Maguiers for many years, I use my Jeeps year round so I do a lot of maintenance, mechanical and appearance, I have been very happy with the performance and ease of application, with as much sand and salt and car washings, I don’t think expensive coatings are worth the money here in Maine.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
No thank you for what it cost I can have it waxed many times. There's a car wash that does details and wax jobs for around $89. I can take it up to the car wash where I have unlimited for $18 a month then driving up the street from there and they can wax it for me for about $20 and $20 wax jobs I can get it waxed and keep it really nice and good condition for years for one ceramic coating

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon 2dr ,2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr
No thank you for what it cost I can have it waxed many times. There's a car wash that does details and wax jobs for around $89. I can take it up to the car wash where I have unlimited for $18 a month then driving up the street from there and they can wax it for me for about $20 and $20 wax jobs I can get it waxed and keep it really nice and good condition for years for one ceramic coating
Just giving my input.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
A decent $10 bottle of wax does wonders, if you need more than that then perhaps you should reconsider parking under the mixer truck chute just because it was the closest spot.
Get some decent wax and do a really good job applying it in a couple nice coats. I use a Ryobi 18v buffer. Meguiar's makes a whole line which I've used almost all of depending on need of new or used and never looked back and yeah, I've neglected some vehicles and always brought them back and had new ones which I've never had issues with with some cheap products.
One post showed $1,800 just to do this and yet I can remember when the whole car could get repainted for $99, I know its more then that now but $1,800 so you don't have to wax your car ?
It's a Jeep so you'll enjoy your time working on it and saving some cash, if some mary can enjoy washing his Prius, just imagine how much fun waxing a Jeep will be
Sorry, I wasn't politically correct just now, I meant "if some mary can enjoy washing his Bronco..."
Sponsored