Sponsored

Ceramic coating worth it on granite gray?

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Thinking about it but on the fence, taking delivery in the next few weeks and may want to do it asap but have never done it before.
Sponsored

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Just got a new JL, curious what this is about? Something I should have done?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Ceramic is great for is smooth slick non stick properties, most of the non professional coatings are not long lasting -1-2 years). Keep in mind that it will not protect from trail scratches, rock chips. I ended up doing a full 3M paint protection film then did the Amazon Ceramic. Now I am totally protected from rock chips and scratches for 10 years with the added protection of the ceramic. What is nice about the 3M is you get a scratch and it is self healing and then looks new again.

mirrors%204_zpsvkik7ier.jpg

This is a reflection picture off the door with the 3M and Ceramic
3M%201_zpsbm5zxbfz.jpg

Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
That is awesome lightsout.

I will have to look for a professional place near me that does this.

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL

XPEL

First Name
XPEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Thinking about it but on the fence, taking delivery in the next few weeks and may want to do it asap but have never done it before.
trailchaser,

This should help answer your question. In the video below, Engineering Explained (2.2 million subscribers on YouTube) goes in depth on Everything You Need to Know About Ceramic Coatings.

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Ceramic is great for is smooth slick non stick properties, most of the non professional coatings are not long lasting -1-2 years). Keep in mind that it will not protect from trail scratches, rock chips. I ended up doing a full 3M paint protection film then did the Amazon Ceramic. Now I am totally protected from rock chips and scratches for 10 years with the added protection of the ceramic. What is nice about the 3M is you get a scratch and it is self healing and then looks new again.

3M%201_zpsbm5zxbfz.jpg
Soooooooo you bought a Jeep to protect it from trail scratches and rock chips??? LMAO I mean you could just wrap the whole thing in bubble wrap while your at it. LMAO sorry I just saw the funny-ness in your comment lightsoul. Have a great day!!!!!!

OP
OP

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Soooooooo you bought a Jeep to protect it from trail scratches and rock chips??? LMAO I mean you could just wrap the whole thing in bubble wrap while your at it. LMAO sorry I just saw the funny-ness in your comment lightsoul. Have a great day!!!!!!
He got a Sahara, he is saving it from scratches at the mall lmaooo :CWL::CWL::CWL:

Sponsored

OP
OP

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab

3M%201_zpsbm5zxbfz.jpg
Joke aside, how did you do the 3M or where did you get it done?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Joke aside, how did you do the 3M or where did you get it done?
I got quotes from numerous installers from detail shops to window tint and wrap shops. I chose a local window tint and wrap shop that has been around for 15 years and specializes in films. I had a lower quote for Suntek film but 3M has the best warranty and best gloss (Xpel has an ever so slight orange peel, I was able to see the 3M and Xpel side by side on the same vehicle).

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
He got a Sahara, he is saving it from scratches at the mall lmaooo :CWL::CWL::CWL:
so far 260 miles of gravel forest service roads and trails since May 9th not a scratch or rock chip, film keeps the Black paint looking like new with a mirror finish. Also considering I have limited slip rear and hopefully soon the Eaton Elocker on the front, aside from hard core rock crawling a Sahara equipped like that will perform on par or out perform an all locker Wrangler in many trail, snow, sand and mud conditions.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
No Need to I am protected for 10 year plus my paint will look like a new Wrangler. Seems some people take pride in ownership and take care of their vehicles while others live in a throw away world
Sponsored