Sponsored

Ceramic Coating worth it for non garaged vehicle?

rk86

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 3.6L
Wanted to see if people do ceramic coatings or just typical wax/clay type applications for vehicles that are outdoor kept. My garage is home to my convertible so unfortunately the Rubicon is going to stay outside. I've heard ceramic coatings can be bad in terms of water spots accumulating and causing damage. Is it worth spending over a thousand dollars for a ceramic coating on a vehicle that's going to sit outside? I wasn't planning on PPF just because of how expensive it can get - I just want basic protection on the car. My wife has a cat (bleh) and I've found that his new favorite spot to nap...is on the hood of my new Rubicon. Very hard to catch him in the act and try to spray him with water trying to correct the behavior, more or less I just see his muddly little paw prints all over it.
Sponsored

jackgraves7

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I keep mine in an apartment parking lot year round. I usually clay every 6 months and wax every wash (once a month). Ceramic is definitely the more professional route but as long as you wax enough, to me it works great. It’s also way cheaper.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Ceramic coatings do not create water spots, coatings can reduce water spots because it helps water slide off panels. It still needs regular maintenance but typically last longer than wax or sealants.

Also do not rely on coatings to protect against trail rash or claws. Coatings can help with minor scratches, anything more is where paint protection films come in.

Sponsored

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
No

I had my 2021 JLUR ceramic coated, did a hella lot of research before and paid $1200 for the coating + paint correction (which was a good deal)... mainly because my Jeep is black and I don’t own a garage. I don’t feel it’s anywhere near worth the cost. I should have instead just had it waxed, which is what I normally do. I’m sure there will be many who disagree with my opinion and that’s cool - to each their own.

I say pass unless $$$$ is no object for you...

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I would invest in decent buffer and some pads.

I get the PPF on the front grill, front fenders, bikini on the hood, A pillars, lower doors/rockers and door cups to protect from road rash.

I use my favorite sealant and once yr wash, clay, lightly polish and then the sealant. Periodically I wash and use the Turtle wax ceramic spray as drying aid after I blow dry with leaf blower. I never thought I would be impressed with a Turtle wax product but if sheds water like no tomorrow and works. 12$ a bottle is cheap.

I do ceramic coat all the black plastic trim with avalon king ceramic coating, 35$ a bottle, it seems so far to work good.

Some are coming out with graphene sprays, 303 has one and they are supposed to be good for the $$.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I would say ceramic may be worth it as a DIY if you enjoy detailing like I do. While paint correction is not all that hard, its very time consuming. I spent over 30hrs on my trans am polishing. I would never pay someone for that service though as it will just wear off after a couple years.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
I use Turtle Wax Seal N Shine after every wash, based on recommendations here, and my Black Jeep also lives outside. I did also clay it once this summer.

Once I am finished with the bottle of Seal N Shine, I think that I will try out one of the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions, either Black Ceramic, or Graphene. I have 2 the black cars, so something with some black pigment works for me :)

As others have said, I too am finding that as I get older, I actually enjoy detailing my vehicles.

TrailRax

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
We use Adam's Polishes Graphene coating on our Jeep Gladiator and Jeep JL. In all seasons it works amazing. The gladiator right now is not garage kept and the Graphene coating works its magic by keeping our truck clean even out in nasty snowy and salty weather.

Do keep in mind a ceramic or graphene coating will not keep your jeep spotless. Moreover it helps keep your car cleaner a bit longer, but most importantly it is extremely easy to clean and avoids pin striping a ton.

Sponsored

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
fact is a properly applied ceramic coating to properly prepared paint will make it routine cleaning much much easier. And it will shine lots. worth it.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
fact is a properly applied ceramic coating to properly prepared paint will make it routine cleaning much much easier. And it will shine lots. worth it.
The same is true about applying any decent Sealant or Ceramic Spray for significantly cheaper.

acenines3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
Occupation
Retired
We use Adam's Polishes Graphene coating on our Jeep Gladiator and Jeep JL. In all seasons it works amazing. The gladiator right now is not garage kept and the Graphene coating works its magic by keeping our truck clean even out in nasty snowy and salty weather.

Do keep in mind a ceramic or graphene coating will not keep your jeep spotless. Moreover it helps keep your car cleaner a bit longer, but most importantly it is extremely easy to clean and avoids pin striping a ton.

I also used Adams Graphen Ceramic coating and I absolutely love it.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
As someone else said, opinions all over the place. Here’s mine, if you wash and wax regularly, ceramic coating is not necessary and I sort of feel it’s an industry gimmick.

I wash and maintain my vehicles at least once a month if not twice. And I wipe down with PS bead maker (Liquid sealant) every time. This is much more cost effective, results are arguably just as good, but more importantly I just enjoy the process.

If you are going to ceramic coat, the only option I’d consider is if you did it yourself and paid 1-200 for product. I cannot think of any scenario where paying someone over 1000 to do it is worthwhile.
Sponsored