David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I came across this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/CERAKOTE-Ceramic-Trim-Coat-Kit/dp/B07SHJVK4G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=trim+restorer&qid=1580576523&sr=8-5&linkCode=sl1&tag=jeepinaway-20&linkId=73f7f485e9ebe8e280f80d3600cc9910&language=en_US&th=1

Anyone ever used this? The reviews are all over the place with some praising and some trashing. The pics seem to match, some look great, some look terrible. I've used some of the plastic restorer stuff and it looks good when applied, but is usually gone after the first rain. My fenders are in no way in bad shape, I just like having them with that deeper shine to them.

Any other similar products you've used with good results?
Sponsored

Last edited:

TATER1971

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willy's Wheeler JK in Rhino
I came across this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/CERAKOTE-Ceramic-Trim-Coat-Kit/dp/B07SHJVK4G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=trim+restorer&qid=1580576523&sr=8-5&linkCode=sl1&tag=jeepinaway-20&linkId=73f7f485e9ebe8e280f80d3600cc9910&language=en_US&th=1

Anyone ever used this? The reviews are all over the place with some praising and some trashing. The pics seem to match, some look great, some look terrible. I've used some of the other plastic restorer stuff and it looks good when applied, but is usually gone after the first rain. My fenders are in no way in bad shape, I just like having them with that deeper shine to them.

Any other similar products you've used with good results?
I just used this on the fenders of my Jeep Wrangler JK and it ended up lightening them and showing light streaks where it was applied. I'm not happy at all. Now I have to figure out how to get it off.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I’m the opposite. Looks great and has lasted since last year.
It will “seal” in any stains or whatever, so you have to have things perfectly clean. And when you apply, have good light and make sure you don’t have any streaks or it’ll dry like that.
I put them on my wife’s fenders and they still look great.. a little bit of a wet look but not overdone.
I put them on all my plastic trim pieces and looks good, there was one little white stain or something on my rear door handle that I didn’t clean off, so it stayed like that since.

just be meticulous applying and it’ll look great. I’m not surprised old JK fenders didn’t turn out well.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I just watched a utube video comparing 8 different products. Ceramic wax's and coatings can be tricky to apply and if you mess it up it will show. I am using a ceramic wax on my wife's truck and so far been good results and I am getting better at applying it. (Just 2 coats so far)

Out of the 8 products compared only 3 really worked worth a crap and did what the MFG was claiming. Cerakote, Mothers Back-to-Black and I forget the other one, sorry. Cerkote held up the best and looked like it was going to last the longest. However Mothers Back-to-Black did really well. I have never used Back-to-Black and for some reason wasn't expecting it to do well but it actually did really well. So I was at Walmart this weekend and went and took a look and they had Back-to-Black on sale so I picked it up. Because my Jeep is new I figured I could use the Back-to-Black and it should look really good for while. Maybe one day I will get the Cerakote.

Sponsored

jurassic3k

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Kia Telluride SX AWD
I ceramic coated my entire vehicle....trim and top with Avalon King Armor Shield 9. Best result I've ever had. From what I hear the plastic is protected for a minimum of 2-3 years.

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I'm mainly looking for ceramic coatings as opposed to the trim restorer products. Any of you that did put a ceramic coating on the plastic fenders have pics of the results, good or bad?

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I just used this on the fenders of my Jeep Wrangler JK and it ended up lightening them and showing light streaks where it was applied. I'm not happy at all. Now I have to figure out how to get it off.
FYI Some of the newer reviews on Amazon state they were able to get it off with non-acetone nail polish remover. There are before/after pics of the removal on there.

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I'm mainly looking for ceramic coatings as opposed to the trim restorer products. Any of you that did put a ceramic coating on the plastic fenders have pics of the results, good or bad?
A lot of folks are fans of 303 Aerospace. When I picked up my JL in March I instantly put 303 on all of the plastic bits. I let it dry for a day then coated it with the Turtle Wax Ceramic coating. I also claybarred, Waxed, and ceramic coated the paint as well. I use the ceramic detail spray between washes but it's still holding up strong!

My thought was the Turtle Wax doesn't tout UV protection so the 303 keeps it nice and black and the ceramic makes it super easy to clean

Reactions: DHW

kiddy2fan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer, 2011 Honda Civic
Key with the black plastic is to not let it fade. Same priceable as applying sunscreen to prevent sunburns. 303 works good but needs to be applied regularly. I really like Gtechniq C4 for trim 2 years of coverage for about the same time invested as applying 303.

Sponsored

TATER1971

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willy's Wheeler JK in Rhino
FYI Some of the newer reviews on Amazon state they were able to get it off with non-acetone nail polish remover. There are before/after pics of the removal on there.
Yes I appreciate you sending that along. I did actually get the same response from Cerakote themselves.....and it did help somewhat....but they are still a god awful mess. I'm just going to replace the fenders now.

jim00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Mother's Ceramic Trim works well. Quadratec doesn't do a demo on the Trim product in this video but talks about it.

Mother's video
Sponsored