Ceramic coating pros and cons

slick

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford harley jeep
There's a place by me that's very well known for ceramic coating I stopped in there today they said one process of the ceramic coating it's very durable and will last year's they said if I wanted to add any accessories that used 3m tape I wouldn't be able to because nothing will stick to it and thats a hard call because am not sure what I would add to my jeep I already added a few things this week and I just bought the jeep.

And there's another process they use that lasts a year and you have to go back every year and have it redone again but that would allow for decals or 3m tape to still work I believe its was called a diamond coating.

Does anyone have or had this done?

I drive in a busy area and definitely want protection I have some type to paint.
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i did my own ceramic coat with Chemical guys. super easy works great. much cheaper then going and having it done

OP
OP
slick

slick

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford harley jeep
i did my own ceramic coat with Chemical guys. super easy works great. much cheaper then going and having it done
This isnt just a wax I have what you're referring to also.
This is a hardened ceramic coating.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Had a 5-year ceramic coat applied to my JLUR the week we picked it up. A lot of the time was the prep before the coating was applied.

My wife and I have both noticed a difference. When it gets muddy or sloppy, there is maybe half or less of the residue on the sides. Same in winter slush slop. Usually a rinse with the pressure washer or even strong hose gets it to "clean enough" or "pretty clean" depending on your definitions.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-cold-war-relics-in-a-jlur.60859/post-1317928

Here is a post with some "after" pictures from a muddy and snowy trail day.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I had a ceramic coating done professionally on my last car and IMO it wasn't worth it. This was back when coating was relatively new, but I paid, I think, over a grand to have it done. It does "rain-x" the paint, but it also makes water spots worse. It also seemed to get dirty at about the same rate.

If I ever got the itch to have it done again, I'd definitely do it myself.

Sponsored

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The pro and con is that it’s pretty widespread and easy to do now with the DIY kits but with the reduction in cost of the DIY kits they don’t seem to last nearly as long. IMO going to a pro is overpriced.

OP
OP
slick

slick

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford harley jeep
Had a 5-year ceramic coat applied to my JLUR the week we picked it up. A lot of the time was the prep before the coating was applied.

My wife and I have both noticed a difference. When it gets muddy or sloppy, there is maybe half or less of the residue on the sides. Same in winter slush slop. Usually a rinse with the pressure washer or even strong hose gets it to "clean enough" or "pretty clean" depending on your definitions.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-cold-war-relics-in-a-jlur.60859/post-1317928

Here is a post with some "after" pictures from a muddy and snowy trail day.
That's what he said is the cleanup time when you wash your jeep is really easy.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
That's what he said is the cleanup time when you wash your jeep is really easy.
Do you plan on doing any serious wheeling where the likelihood of scratches will occur? If the answer is yes then DON'T coat it. I spoke with two detailers about coating and they asked what kind of off roading we do, after I explained what we do they said you will regret getting it coated.
They said it's great for dirt and mud splashes but once a scratch occurs you've gone through the ceramic and into the paint and on a normal vehicle you would simply buff the scratch out but on a vehicle with ceramic coating it can get more complicated because you have to buff through the ceramic or actually strip it off first.
That was the jist of it and I think you get the pic, they could have easily said sure I'll coat it and took my money but both recommended not doing it. Of course if you mall crawl none of this applies ;)

OP
OP
slick

slick

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford harley jeep
Do you plan on doing any serious wheeling where the likelihood of scratches will occur? If the answer is yes then DON'T coat it. I spoke with two detailers about coating and they asked what kind of off roading we do, after I explained what we do they said you will regret getting it coated.
They said it's great for dirt and mud splashes but once a scratch occurs you've gone through the ceramic and into the paint and on a normal vehicle you would simply buff the scratch out but on a vehicle with ceramic coating it can get more complicated because you have to buff through the ceramic or actually strip it off first.
That was the jist of it and I think you get the pic, they could have easily said sure I'll coat it and took my money but both recommended not doing it. Of course if you mall crawl none of this applies ;)
Great info thx.
I was mainly trying to protect my investment as much as I can. Do you know anything about the other coating I mentioned? He said its good for a year and gets redone once a year but the first time is the most price wise 250.00 then its 100 a year too go over it again. I believe he called it diamond coating.

OP
OP
slick

slick

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford harley jeep
Dont seem like a good idea for a few reasons. If you want to add something that uses 3m tape your screwed. And then like you said with the scratches.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I have it on my Tesla and love it...knowing that a scratch would be a pain. Washing is far easier. With the Jeep scratches are far more likely...not worth the potential headache...and it’s expensive to have ceramic coating applied professionally.

21RubiFTW

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Great info thx.
I was mainly trying to protect my investment as much as I can. Do you know anything about the other coating I mentioned? He said its good for a year and gets redone once a year but the first time is the most price wise 250.00 then its 100 a year too go over it again. I believe he called it diamond coating.
Ehh...i wouldn't go that route. If they are selling you something that only lasts a year they aren't doing a real ceramic coating. The good stuff lasts way longer than that.(like 2-3 years) The higher end spray bottle variants last 9-12 months.

The real work involved with applying the ceramic coating is all the pre-work you have to do. You'll need to wash, clay bar, wash, paint correct, wash, and then start with applying the ceramic coating. It's really not all that hard to apply. It's the paint correction that you are usually paying someone else for. I did it on my 2017 Vette and it took me several days...but that's because of the paint correction time investment. I personally went with Carpro Cquartz 3.0. There are tons of youtube videos out there on applying it. Again, it's not rocket science on applying it....just take your time, let it flash and remove. The hydrophobic properties of it really are amazing. I would just wash my car and then blow off any remaining water with my dewalt electric blower. SUPER simple.

OP
OP
slick

slick

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford harley jeep
Ehh...i wouldn't go that route. If they are selling you something that only lasts a year they aren't doing a real ceramic coating. The good stuff lasts way longer than that.(like 2-3 years) The higher end spray bottle variants last 9-12 months.

The real work involved with applying the ceramic coating is all the pre-work you have to do. You'll need to wash, clay bar, wash, paint correct, wash, and then start with applying the ceramic coating. It's really not all that hard to apply. It's the paint correction that you are usually paying someone else for. I did it on my 2017 Vette and it took me several days...but that's because of the paint correction time investment. I personally went with Carpro Cquartz 3.0. There are tons of youtube videos out there on applying it. Again, it's not rocket science on applying it....just take your time, let it flash and remove. The hydrophobic properties of it really are amazing. I would just wash my car and then blow off any remaining water with my dewalt electric blower. SUPER simple.
There was 2 options. the one that lasts a long time and the second option. Thx for the reply.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Great info thx.
Not sure about the other one you are talking about but it sounds like maybe a weaker ceramic coating that needs re-application??