Sponsored

Ceramic Coating on a new Jeep 4xe

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Yeah, that's way more (coverage) than me. Price seems on point then. I'm pretty particular as well -- did my entire Gladiator (every panel) in PPF. Had to fully disassemble doors, etc. Believe I paid close to $6500 but that's a TON of surface area lol.

That tint seemed pretty inexpensive, ha. Pretty sure I paid $900 for tint. 3m Crystalline.
Honestly, I think he’s cutting me a deal on the tint because that includes the windshield. The complete PPF wrap on the Gladiator seems like a bargain because that can be as high as $10k. For shits and giggles I’m going to ask my installer what he would charge for that.
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Honestly, I think he’s cutting me a deal on the tint because that includes the windshield. The complete PPF wrap on the Gladiator seems like a bargain because that can be as high as $10k. For shits and giggles I’m going to ask my installer what he would charge for that.
Yeah... my $900 didn't include the windshield.

They charged me too little on the Gladiator haha. Came out flawless though. They've done all my vehicles. Pretty sure there's zero chance I'd get that deal again. Granted I was not including the body shop charge which I think was $650.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah... my $900 didn't include the windshield.

They charged me too little on the Gladiator haha. Came out flawless though. They've done all my vehicles. Pretty sure there's zero chance I'd get that deal again. Granted I was not including the body shop charge which I think was $650.
I won’t tell if you won’t.

Billy Baldone

First Name
William Stutz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 JL Willy's
What are your thoughts on ceramic window tint for heat abatement? Prepping the jeep for some long haul drives and camping (inside the jeep).

I think the A/C is plenty strong, but rear passengers complain when it is above 90°F. I even got a white jeep on purpose, to mitigate the heat.

Is ceramic window tint similar in appljcation to the old style window tints? Poking a tiny hole with a hot needle in the little bubbles in a self-tint all those years ago was some sort of fun, but I'd rather not do it again.
Yes it is similar to normal window tint

Billy Baldone

First Name
William Stutz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 JL Willy's
What's the ballpark cost of getting protective wrap and/or ceramic coating? Who does it and how do I search for someone in my area (NW GA/Chattanooga, TN area)? I'd rather be shot dead than have to go to Atlanta for something like this...
Detail Depot in Chattanooga looks like a decent shop for ceramic coating

Sponsored

buzzdoc

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WranglerUnlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Glorified plumber
Thanks for checking on that!

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 tj, 2014 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford F350 Dually, 2020 Diesel Rubicon on order
What are your thoughts on ceramic window tint for heat abatement? Prepping the jeep for some long haul drives and camping (inside the jeep).

I think the A/C is plenty strong, but rear passengers complain when it is above 90°F. I even got a white jeep on purpose, to mitigate the heat.

Is ceramic window tint similar in appljcation to the old style window tints? Poking a tiny hole with a hot needle in the little bubbles in a self-tint all those years ago was some sort of fun, but I'd rather not do it again.
Big difference in the amount of heat that gets through between regular tint and ceramic tint. I will never go back to regular tint. Our Texas summers are no joke......:)

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big difference in the amount of heat that gets through between regular tint and ceramic tint. I will never go back to regular tint. Our Texas summers are no joke......:)
Agreed! When I had the windshield on my 2019 JLUR tinted with 70% ceramic tint, I immediately noticed a difference in the heat coming through and like Texas, that's a big deal here in AZ as well.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Going to follow this thread. I just put in two quote requests for Expel installers in Scottsdale. Still not sure what kind of coverage I want but I was going to do it anyways so why not before driving across the desert.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I had our Rubicon 3.0 vinyl wrapped the front and ceramic coated the whole jeep as soon as I picked it up from dealer. The freeways in Houston are notorious for rock chips. These jeeps cost too much to not take care of....IMO

IMG_6239.jpg

IMG_6226.jpg

605895607.jpg
Houston freeways? I literally drive my jeep on rocks and dirt land. If I was worried about freeways why would I even buy a Jeep. lol.

I use some cheap spray "ceramic" wax when I clean it. It is good, and I think it helps a bit. Since I am constantly applying it I think it is better than expensive real ceramic. I doubt a real ceramic coat would last on a Jeep. Unless you drive it is a pavement queen. In that case, by all means get it coated. Othewise it is a waste of money

Sponsored

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
Agreed! When I had the windshield on my 2019 JLUR tinted with 70% ceramic tint, I immediately noticed a difference in the heat coming through and like Texas, that's a big deal here in AZ as well.
When I lived in Texas, always had ceramic window tint. Made a huge difference in keeping the interior cooler.

andyldavis

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Retired Electronic Service Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Does it make sense to get a new black wrangler ceramic coated??
I had my new 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid professionally coated with the ceramic process. It was a fairly expensive process. I became a little disappointed with the performance of the coating after only three months in the Florida sun. No water beading, the hydrophobic protection failed but still shined well. The constant upkeep was too much.
I decided to try something entirely new for my 2018 Wrangler JLUSS. I chose a new product from 303. It is their Graphene Nano Spray Coating. It is very easy to apply and remarkable easy to maintain. After five months the shine and water shedding has exceeded the ceramic coating.
From what I have read, the graphene molecule is much smaller than the ceramic molecule and is able to get into the imperfections in the clearcoat much better allowing a more stable coating. Most of the airborne contaminates washes off the afternoon showers. The bugs fall off from the pressure of the nozzle on the garden hose. Clean up is a breeze. Wash with a good carwash detergent, squeegee the glass and drive around the block and the water sheets off. I am not a paid spokesman for 303, just a satisfied customer.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Interesting thread - I'll just preface this with I likely wouldn't do PPF or ceramic coating on a wrangler. Doesn't really jive for me with the use.

Anyway - i've done both on a few cars and I'll say the key is a great paint correction before the PPF. Paint from the factory is normally crap (well the finish is crap) - some of the higher end german and italian manufacturers can be the worst offenders. A good paint correction can be costly though, but really makes the paint finish look exceptional - and then worth the protection of PPF.

And as someone else mentioned - PPF and ceramic coating really are different. Ceramic doesn't give you any scratch protection but sure does make it easy to clean.

Maybe less stress to just enjoy it as intended and give any panels with major issues a respray at the end ;)

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting thread - I'll just preface this with I likely wouldn't do PPF or ceramic coating on a wrangler. Doesn't really jive for me with the use.

Anyway - i've done both on a few cars and I'll say the key is a great paint correction before the PPF. Paint from the factory is normally crap (well the finish is crap) - some of the higher end german and italian manufacturers can be the worst offenders. A good paint correction can be costly though, but really makes the paint finish look exceptional - and then worth the protection of PPF.

And as someone else mentioned - PPF and ceramic coating really are different. Ceramic doesn't give you any scratch protection but sure does make it easy to clean.

Maybe less stress to just enjoy it as intended and give any panels with major issues a respray at the end ;)
My Jeep is a pavement princess and has to stay looking good at all times. Plus, they are too expensive not to address the paint.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
My Jeep is a pavement princess and has to stay looking good at all times. Plus, they are too expensive not to address the paint.
Even a pavement princess should get dirty once in a while ;)

I agree they are expensive now.
Sponsored