DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I made a video on how you can ceramic coat your own JL for under $50 and also cover cleaning your Jeep using a clay bar. This stuff really makes washing your jeep easy.

Gorgeous Jeep! Great video! I just did two coats on my JL. I didn't clay bar first, though, but it had Ice on it before that, and you can layer it. One day I'll do the full deal like you did.

I did let the Hybrid Solutions cure for 24 hours between coats, though. The beading was incredible in the first rain I encountered. The shine was amazing, too. It has replaced Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine as my favorite.

It really makes that blue pop on your Jeep!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I did see a new end cap at the local Walmart where Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray was just under $13 bucks for a bottle. That's a heckuva value. A bottle goes a very long way and it smells great, too.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I haven't used Seal and Shine yet as I've had Car Guys Spray Wax last me a while. It's a great product but expensive relative to Turtle Wax. How much durability do you expect out of the Ceramic Spray compared to Seal and Shine?

OP
OP
Gibbage

Gibbage

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue Sport S
Occupation
3D Artist
I haven't used Seal and Shine yet as I've had Car Guys Spray Wax last me a while. It's a great product but expensive relative to Turtle Wax. How much durability do you expect out of the Ceramic Spray compared to Seal and Shine?
I dont know as I never used Seal and Shine. From the reviews online, it seems that the seal and shine will resist chemicals better, but nobody has done a long term test. As I said in my video, my ceramic coat did last for 3 months before I re-applied a new coat for the video, but I live near Seattle and we have had constant rain for 2 of those 3 months. My coat still had water beading so it could of lasted a bit longer and I only redid the hood.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Turtle Wax claims up to 12 months, while I think they say 6 months with Seal N Shine. However, that's if you let the Hybrid Solutions cure for 24 hours, then apply a 2nd coat. Honestly, I did that, just out of curiousity. I will put it on this thing probably three or 4 times a year, so I'll wind up only doing 1 coat. With 1 coat, Pan The Organizer on YouTube seemed to find they were about the same. The Hybrid Solutions has a really nice smell, and supposedly a slightly better shine. I can't tell the difference, so I like them both. The smell probably wins it and I think a bottle goes a little further, as the HS only requires a squirt or two per section. The Seal N Shine beaded for a good long time for me. The jury is out on the HS. Time will tell, but I like it so far!

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
That is a great video... I used https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/panel-wipe to prep the paint then did https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/c2-liquid-crystal to do the liquid crystal... Yes Gtechnig.com has some products that $1k detail shops use but after talking to Gtechnig.com techs said my styles calls for these two products every 6 to 12 months worth of protection. I have enough product that my Jeep buddy and I do our Jeeps in a few hours and have some guy time planing on next Jeep ride. I should also say the coating does help protect the clear coat from stretches.

OP
OP
Gibbage

Gibbage

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue Sport S
Occupation
3D Artist
That is a great video... I used https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/panel-wipe to prep the paint then did https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/c2-liquid-crystal to do the liquid crystal... Yes Gtechnig.com has some products that $1k detail shops use but after talking to Gtechnig.com techs said my styles calls for these two products every 6 to 12 months worth of protection. I have enough product that my Jeep buddy and I do our Jeeps in a few hours and have some guy time planing on next Jeep ride. I should also say the coating does help protect the clear coat from stretches.
Thanks for the links. After using the retail stuff, I would not mind going a step up just to see the difference. Maybe make another episode with higher quality stuff and its style of application.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Mothers kit that you used coming to me along with a Wolfgang Ceramic spray kit...

The Wolfgang was pretty pricy but it gets pretty decent reviews
Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic coat your own JL for $50. 3A777229-6996-43F5-B97A-31F2750094D9

OP
OP
Gibbage

Gibbage

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue Sport S
Occupation
3D Artist
I have the Mothers kit that you used coming to me along with a Wolfgang Ceramic spray kit...

The Wolfgang was pretty pricy but it gets pretty decent reviews
Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic coat your own JL for $50. 3A777229-6996-43F5-B97A-31F2750094D9
One thing I forgot to say in the video is if you drop your clay bar, toss it out. Dont risk dragging an embedded rock across your paint. Not worth it. Also check your clay often, so you dont make extra swirl marks. Would love to see the results of the Wolfgang Ceramic spray!

Sponsored

First Name
Summer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Bikini Pearl, 2013 JK Sport, 2000 TJ Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
How does the ceramic do with protecting from bug splatter?

OP
OP
Gibbage

Gibbage

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue Sport S
Occupation
3D Artist
How does the ceramic do with protecting from bug splatter?
Very good. Its like Teflon for your paint. With a proper coating, the bugs should just wash right off if they stick at all. If you watch the end of my video, a bird dropped a turd on my hood, and it beaded up like water and rain washed it away.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I forgot to say in the video is if you drop your clay bar, toss it out. Dont risk dragging an embedded rock across your paint. Not worth it. Also check your clay often, so you dont make extra swirl marks. Would love to see the results of the Wolfgang Ceramic spray!
I have dropped a clay bar before and you are correct on tossing it, I have since picked small microfiber mitt that I use with a clay bar, it seems to keep it in hand easier but I have still dropped them, I have been reading about clay bar mitts and towels and they are more costly than a traditional clay bar but if you drop them you can just rinse it off and apparently that are good for a lot more applications

I plan on detailing this coming Friday as I will have all day to wash, dry, clay bar, pre clean application for ceramic spray then the finial ceramic spray...The Wolfgang stuff has a pre cleaner that apparently preps it for bonding.

I will post up pics when done

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well I had the time today and started early a.m to do a full exterior detail with ceramic spray like the OP did but used a different product and I was super pleased with the end result, I’m sure this is not as durable as a professionally applied ceramic coating but for $100 total and my time it was worth it and I would recommend it to anyone.

Im not going to say one product is better than another as there are a host of these new ceramic sprays on the market so all I can say is what I chose really pleased me.

I had most of the detail stuff and tons MF towels it was the detailing clay and coating it self it what I did not have.

I likely over did the exterior but I had the time so I washed it twice and did the wheels then proceeded to detail clay the exterior and did it twice and then proceeded to get into the pre-cleaner as Wolfgang Products calls it and I did that twice and then did two coat of the ceramic spray and then buffed after I was sure it was dry and then finished up on the interior stuff.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic coat your own JL for $50. 7CE927D7-0E29-43AA-AB63-994A05BF21B7
Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic coat your own JL for $50. F1361202-CF7F-4817-AE6A-C16F7ABF5681
Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic coat your own JL for $50. 05C6F54C-48F7-4DF3-B317-16CD843BD2A9
Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic coat your own JL for $50. E9DE6E17-2397-4154-AADC-ADC6A9F6C976
Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic coat your own JL for $50. 8F5CB62A-5EF9-4578-A84D-689C0BE102F7
Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic coat your own JL for $50. 760C8C61-846D-4177-9C49-D9E893955D1D
Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic coat your own JL for $50. 001C28F7-0DCE-4A13-A975-837EE1B7FB92
Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic coat your own JL for $50. 98AA7EAE-6968-47AB-B08B-203CEFC19349
Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic coat your own JL for $50. BE089C85-9EC4-4C36-8027-6B288102F23F

OP
OP
Gibbage

Gibbage

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue Sport S
Occupation
3D Artist
Well I had the time today and started early a.m to do a full exterior detail with ceramic spray like the OP did but used a different product and I was super pleased with the end result, I’m sure this is not as durable as a professionally applied ceramic coating but for $100 total and my time it was worth it and I would recommend it to anyone.
Great writeup! I think I need to buy a buffing machine to really take things to the next level on my coat. I have a bit of swirls in my paint and the only way to really take them down is to use a buffer.
Sponsored