First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
20210514_090021.jpg

Brakes old (100Kmi) and new, for reference.
Did the rear pads wear more quickly than the fronts? My JK does that, so I'm wondering how the JL will behave.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Bob Burd

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snwburd.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Did the rear pads wear more quickly than the fronts? My JK does that, so I'm wondering how the JL will behave.
Dang, I only half looked at those when i rotated tires. My previous non-Jeep experience was the front brakes did most the work. Guess I'll have to look closer...

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
My JK had parts rust inside. I sanded them down and re-lubed them with marine grease and got a few more years out of it until I replaced it with one off a 2017.
Didn't your JK have the lifetime warranty? Or was the sway bar disco system not covered?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't your JK have the lifetime warranty? Or was the sway bar disco system not covered?
Yes, but powertrain only. I only paid about $300 for what was essentially a new disco, so it wasn't too bad. It would have been $1,000 to $1200 brand new.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Bumm,
Was It full of water? My ā€˜17 Rubi sway bar disconnect was replaced twice under my extended warranty. Dealer said it was full of water. Maybe a poor design?
Nope, no water in it. At least they didnā€™t mention it when I asked. Just said the motor went out. Wasnā€™t sure why. I an told that the design is different now compared to the JKs on these. How trueā€¦.not positive but what I was told. I am going to waterproof it though like some others on here have talked about doing. I have reached out to the guys that did my repair to see what they think is causing two motor failures though. Heck it could even be this super fine dirt that just lingers in the air here in AZ

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I just hit 60k on mine, just did all the normal fluid changes, and finally swapped out my dead rear DS. My Jeep is still going strong. Love this damn thing.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
any idea what killed your DS?
Me.

I tore the boot on a wheeling trip earlier this year and it eventually succumbed to the lack of grease. I don't think pushing 37s did it any favors, either. It dying wasn't a surprise at all.

OP
OP

Bob Burd

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snwburd.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Century Club 100K Miles 20210614_154833

I ended up replacing the rear pads, but they had maybe half the wear. Probably could have gone to 200K. ymmv, of course.
I found replacing them a bit tricky. Daughter helped make this video that you may or may not find helpful.

Last edited:

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Jeep Wrangler JL Century Club 100K Miles 20210614_154833

I ended up replacing the rear pads, but they had maybe half the wear. Probably could have gone to 200K. ymmv, of course.
I was wondering about my brakes and just wanted confirmation I likely had no immediate concern. Iā€™ll keep a little closer eye on them though since I have 35ā€™s. I brake old school, trying to let them cool and not ride them. I typically get great wear from my vehiclesā€™ brakes so I hope to hit 100k.

Congratulations on the milestone in such a short time and thanks for the important feedback! :clap:
Sponsored