Sponsored

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
How did the rear axle fail? Like, did it come out from under the Jeep??

View attachment 456985
Well. I actually don't know. I had an oil change and tire rotation at a Mavis. A month later (last week) I had my Jeep in for new wheels/tires/Mopar lift at my local dealer. I didn't buy my Jeep there but I thought let me get the install warranty since I don't have my own driveway. Paid $700 a corner plus $700 for spare wheel and tires. Paid $1400 for the lift and $1200 for labor recalibration, etc. Dealer said after all was installed the tech took it round the building and the rear axel was "screaming" tech called. He said he ordered the part to which I said "Okay". Followed up with the service manager he goes on to confirm that they ordered an entire rear axel based on the test drive after install. Should hopefully get it back tomorrow.

*Edit so I've been driving like that for 3k miles or so. Jeep was loud, but no drop in performance. Dropped PSI on the tires first noise went away. 2018 sport with 285.70.R17 as the only drivetrain mod.
Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
turtle_n3.jpg

Biggest problem was a broken weld on the rear lower control arm when going over Engineer Pass. Didn't even hit anything, and it was another Jeeper who noticed it. Guy in Lake City who fixed it for $110 said it looked like a bad weld. Jeep dealer back home said it wasn't a manufacturing defect. I've got better things to do than chase down $110 worth of corporate justice. I used climbing gear to hold it together while I drove to Lake City.

p1000060-jpg.jpg

[/QUOTE]
Unfathomable a dealer would utter such words .. but then..its a chrysler in the end .. u were very lucky that the other side didn't snap right off it would have been a very bad day indeed. With that climbing gear on , i bet it its safer than any jeep coming off of the assembly line.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Every Jeep we’ve ever owned made 200k+, from an xj and a zj with the 4.0L to an 01 wj with the 4.7L v8. Glad to see JL’s that are being used long term. Proper maintenance has gotten us to 200k miles in 12 different vehicles over the last 23 years, but both Fords had major problems around 100k. The 2014 focus shitty clutchless/ manual automatic transmission was about $3k to fix bent shift fork and ecu failure, but fortunately the class action suit resulted in that money being refunded. The other Ford was an 06 super duty that had ALL of the common 6.0L problems at some point. Guess that’s why I’m here and not on the bronco forums?

Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
Every Jeep we’ve ever owned made 200k+, from an xj and a zj with the 4.0L to an 01 wj with the 4.7L v8. Glad to see JL’s that are being used long term. Proper maintenance has gotten us to 200k miles in 12 different vehicles over the last 23 years, but both Fords had major problems around 100k. The 2014 focus shitty clutchless/ manual automatic transmission was about $3k to fix bent shift fork and ecu failure, but fortunately the class action suit resulted in that money being refunded. The other Ford was an 06 super duty that had ALL of the common 6.0L problems at some point. Guess that’s why I’m here and not on the bronco forums?

Bought a Raptor last year for daily, because the price is so good and could not resist. Transfer case starts to leak at 4000 miles, Then front differential axle seal starts to leak at 18000 miles. Infotament module went dead at 20000 miles. Then finally the transmission starts to hard shifting and slipping at 21000 miles. Sold it last month, even made a few bucks......What a HORRIBLE exlerience...

Jeep Wrangler JL Century Club 100K Miles f893dad36fbcc54878f572b8d7922d7
Jeep Wrangler JL Century Club 100K Miles 660dae065c29dfc152e5449189f7cbb

Last edited:

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
3.6 Pentastar.
Essentially stock (mods: front camera, aux switches, rock lights)
I'm retired. Zero commute miles, zero trips to the mall.
These are all fun miles, around 5,000mi off-pavement.
Jeep Wrangler JL Century Club 100K Miles 660dae065c29dfc152e5449189f7cbb
Such a fantastic picture!

I got my JLUR earlier this month, and I would love to see it cover this much ground with minimal issues. Here's to hoping.

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Bought a Raptor last year for daily, because the price is so good and could not resist. Transfer case starts to leak at 4000 miles, Then front differential axle seal starts to leak at 18000 miles. Infotament module went dead at 20000 miles. Then finally the transmission starts to hard shifting and slipping at 21000 miles. Sold it last month, even made a few bucks......What a HORRIBLE exlerience...
Yikes!

79Ting

First Name
Ting
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Moab 2018
Clubs

I just hit 40K on my 2018 Moab . only issue is got the battery changed(thanks to the stop/start i guess) and of course CONGRATS to your 100k~~

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bob Burd

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snwburd.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
only issue is got the battery changed(thanks to the stop/start i guess)
Ah, I did run into a battery issue at less than 2yrs, but it was >60k by then and out of warranty. Turned out to be the main battery. Cost me three hours waiting for a jump from AAA in the Mojave off I-10 and $120 or so for the battery after I got home.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome, are the lockers and sway disconnect still working?
Mines almost to 50k (2020 got in Dec ‘19) and it’s currently in the shop for the second sway bar disconnect replacement. Motor has gone out both times. Just had it done in Sept.

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
Mines almost to 50k (2020 got in Dec ‘19) and it’s currently in the shop for the second sway bar disconnect replacement. Motor has gone out both times. Just had it done in Sept.
Hey Bumm,
Was It full of water? My ‘17 Rubi sway bar disconnect was replaced twice under my extended warranty. Dealer said it was full of water. Maybe a poor design?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Bumm,
Was It full of water? My ‘17 Rubi sway bar disconnect was replaced twice under my extended warranty. Dealer said it was full of water. Maybe a poor design?
From what I've read, the JL's sway bar disco design is updated and improved. JK's, including mine, were prone to muck/water getting in there and also for wearing out. There's a rental outfit out of Moab and I think Colorado or AZ that said they've not had a single failure in their JL fleet, while failures were common with the JK's.

My JK had parts rust inside. I sanded them down and re-lubed them with marine grease and got a few more years out of it until I replaced it with one off a 2017.