Cent's 4xe Improvement Suggestions

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Based on my three months ownership experience. For context, I’ve driven over 1.5k in mostly all electric driving, previously owned a JK, and have driven various pool vehicles for work.

4xe specific improvements:

1. Option to display actual fuel/battery charge readings, alongside percent/range.
For example 8.5 KW - 12 miles - 50% charge remaining. 12.2 gallons - 244 miles remaining. This drives my inner engineer insane. I can see the onboard estimate for range and charge percentage, but I have no idea how much charge I actually have left. Same with fuel. I have a vague skeuomorphic analog gauge which doesn’t tell me how many gallons I have remaining. Huge waste of a display. Both of these would be highly useful to calculate real world efficiency, and gauge impact of changes/mods/driving behavior made.​

2. Total electrical miles, total gas miles, and total engine run time.
This would be very useful for someone who manages their own preventative maintenance (PM) schedule. Some of us are very old school, and would like to ensure certain wear and tear engine items are replaced or inspected at certain service intervals.​

3. Data export to CSV. I’d like to download my usage data along with trip information (from onboard GPS) to an CSV or similar excel format.
I’m interested it to see what kind of the data the vehicle is capable of collecting, and leverage it to make my modification purchasing decisions.​

4. Sticky Max Regen and “brake light activated” notification.
Odd that this isn’t sticky. Brake light activated notification is a safety concern - if the car is automatically applying the brakes, the brakes lights should always come on. The driver should also be always notified when the brakes are being applied. Normally not an issue, but with the 4xe, the brakes (and brake lights) can apply themselves.​

5. Different buttons for gas cap versus hybrid/electric/gas buttons.
Cannot (without feeling for all four buttons) identify which button is which while keeping eye on road. Specifically a problem when trying to press the middle buttons (hybrid or electric) without looking down. Suggest either changing gas cap button texture, or mechanism (like pull instead of push, or push far deeper than other buttons or maybe inset gas button instead of flush mount) and/or introducing a spring three way toggle for electric/hybrid/gas (where hybrid is neutral spring return position) Also, why isn’t hybrid the neutral option? And why is the gas cap button and gas mode buttons on opposite ends?​

6. Sticky hybrid/electric/gas.
If I’m in gas save mode for a long road trip, I would like I stay in gas save mode for the entire drive. I don’t want to keep resetting gas mode for every gas station/hotel/pee break and rest stop.​

7. “True” hybrid mode.
From my experience, hybrid mode feels mostly like electric only for 95% battery, a mix hybrid for 5%-1%, and a gas mode for anything lower. I’d like to see a more active hybrid mode, which blends electric and gas use more evenly, depleting batteries at same rate as gas.​

8. Easily Removable charging light bar.
The light bar on the center of the console serves no function during actual driving, and prevents users from mounting phone, go pros, etc in that spot. It would have been nice to have made this light bar detachable, so that it can be removed when not in use. Or alternatively, just mount it outside.​

9. Charge port LED, charge port “idiot light”.
Would like to have a small white light located within charge point enclosure to allow for easier charger placement and cap manipulation in the dark. Would also like to see an on-board idiot light for when the charger flap is left open.​

10. Small hook for placing charge port cap.
Would like somewhere to hook this cap onto, instead of letting it dangle randomly.​

11. Transmission shift points
Not sure if 4xe specific or general JL issue - automatic shifting from D1-D3 can be very hard, especially coming from or going to a stop. Feels like being rear ended. Have noticed transmission holding on to shifts on D2 and D3 despite high revs - long term wear concern.​

General Jeep improvements:

1. Heads Up Display.
For taller drivers, the speedometer is a full foot below line of sight with the road. You have to take to your eyes off the road to check speed. There should be some type of dash mounted speed display.​

2. Seatbelt lights.
IIRC, Honda does this. A small five icon display integrated into the UConnect system to show the status of all seatbelts. (Optional off in menu settings). This is for folks with small kids, who sometimes don’t tell the truth about if they are currently buckled. I know, weirdly specific. Kids are terrible, don't get these.​

3. Integrated turn by turn directions in Driver’s Instrument Cluster with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
This is a neat feature included with the built in navigation. Knowing that folks may prefer to use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto instead, it would be nice to have this feature available for those systems as well.​

4. Speed limit displayed in driver instrument cluster.
Toyota does this really well. A little speed limit sign with the posted speed limit is placed directly adjacent to the speedometer. This makes it very clear at glance whether or not the driver is speeding, and by how much. Don’t need to hunt for it in multiple places.​

5. Side indicators on mirrors should be standard.
This is basic safety concern, specifically for cyclists on right side bike lanes on right side turns. If cyclists cannot see the taillight indicators because of rear traffic, there is a chance of collision with a right turning Jeep.​

6. Integrated roof rack for rear hardtop.
Why isn’t there an integrated roof rack or cargo basket option for the rear hard top? I understand the front freedom panels not having one, but I do not understand why there aren’t any first party roof rack options, especially for rear hardtop.​

7. Side mounted courtesy lights.
Since most folks who drive Jeeps will inevitably take theirs off road, it would be useful to see if there are any rocks or potholes or water/ice underneath the doors prior to getting in, especially at night - off-road, in a place without light poles. Some basic LED spot lights at each door would be nice.​

8. Integrated LED hood light.
In case you need to quickly check something under the hood, and don’t want to grab a flashlight.​

9. Integrated rear LED tailgate light.
In case you lift up the tailgate and take something out or put something in at night, away from light poles.​

10. Simple multi-gauge driver cluster.
Would like an option to have multiple gauges or numeric read outs of “other gauges” on driver’s instrument cluster. Seems odd to need to flip through multiple oversized gauges. I'm aware that's an option in the UConnect system, but you need to dig through a few menus to get there. Needs to have its own UConnect shortcut.​

11. Custom alerts for “out of tolerance” perimeters.
For those of us who would like to be notified if our tires fall below a certain PSI (but not “low tire”) or if engine temperature rises above a certain threshold.​

12. Standard Forward Camera (separate from rock cam).
A few functions for this. Advanced safety group does not include lane warning nor lane keep assist. I assume this is due to lack of a standard forward camera. Secondly, one thing Tesla does well, built-in dashcam functionality for all cameras.​

13. Option to soften lock/unlock horn.
That lock confirmation honk is way too loud. Some other manufacturers have a lighter beep function for this.​

14. Option to switch steering wheel volume and seek buttons around
The volume knob is right next to the volume controls behind the steering wheel. Literally inches apart. (insert jackie chan wtf meme here)​

15. Small hook for gas cap.
Would like somewhere to hook this cap onto, instead of letting it dangle randomly.​

16. Low resolution GPS (globe) welcome screen
Not sure what happened here. Very off putting to see that pixelated mess during my start sequence.​
Sponsored

Last edited:

MJKid88

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Occupation
HVAC
Holy detail Batman! Jeep needs to offer you a consulting position.

Observations:

2. Do any other auto manufacturers offer the ability to download data to a .csv file? I'm not aware of any.

6. This is a similar request to have the Max Regeneration button to hold memory status. Interestingly, one of the 4xe vehicle's development engineers, Dan Frye, said that Jeep can update the software at the dealership to make this change. I'm sure that they could also do the same for selectable driving modes.

8. Ah, an integrated under hood light request. This one is dear to my heart. My first new vehicle purchase was the 1988 Jeep Comanche and it had an option for a retractable under hood work light that had something like a 15' long cord that also had a magnet incorporated so you could stick it to the side of the vehicle-say if you were changing a tire at night.

As far as the other "convenience" type features that you cite, although this Jeep model is easily the most advanced Wrangler ever; remember that the Wrangler-and the CJ before it have always been years behind typical automotive advances.

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
A couple of quick points, you can disable the horn on lock, and the trip info on the odometer gives you the total hours, gas miles driven, and electric miles driven.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
A couple of quick points, you can disable the horn on lock, and the trip info on the odometer gives you the total hours, gas miles driven, and electric miles driven.
Trip info doesn't stay updated forever, it resets itself after a given time.

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Trip info doesn't stay updated forever, it resets itself after a given time.
I've been using Trip A as the running totals and Trip B for each tank fill up. So far I havent had trip A reset on me in 2+ months.

Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Based on my three months ownership experience. For context, I’ve driven over 1.5k in mostly all electric driving, previously owned a JK, and have driven various pool vehicles for work.

4xe specific improvements:

1. Option to display actual fuel/battery charge readings, alongside percent/range.
For example 8.5 KW - 12 miles - 50% charge remaining. 12.2 gallons - 244 miles remaining. This drives my inner engineer insane. I can see the onboard estimate for range and charge percentage, but I have no idea how much charge I actually have left. Same with fuel. I have a vague skeuomorphic analog gauge which doesn’t tell me how many gallons I have remaining. Huge waste of a display. Both of these would be highly useful to calculate real world efficiency, and gauge impact of changes/mods/driving behavior made.​

4. Sticky Max Regen and “brake light activated” notification.
Odd that this isn’t sticky. Brake light activated notification is a safety concern - if the car is automatically applying the brakes, the brakes lights should always come on. The driver should also be always notified when the brakes are being applied. Normally not an issue, but with the 4xe, the brakes (and brake lights) can apply themselves.​

7. “True” hybrid mode.
From my experience, hybrid mode feels mostly like electric only for 95% battery, a mix hybrid for 5%-1%, and a gas mode for anything lower. I’d like to see a more active hybrid mode, which blends electric and gas use more evenly, depleting batteries at same rate as gas.​

The light bar on the center of the console serves no function during actual driving, and prevents users from mounting phone, go pros, etc in that spot. It would have been nice to have made this light bar detachable, so that it can be removed when not in use. Or alternatively, just mount it outside.​

11. Transmission shift points
Not sure if 4xe specific or general JL issue - automatic shifting from D1-D3 can be very hard, especially coming from or going to a stop. Feels like being rear ended. Have noticed transmission holding on to shifts on D2 and D3 despite high revs - long term wear concern.​
Just some thoughts/opinion on a couple points...

1. I think this is "too much" for most people so they display it in a more user friendly manner for the average person. Driving habits dictate much of the impact so it's likely more idiot proof to show people how far they can go on their given resources based on their driving instead overloading them with more info and making things busier. As far as gallons remaining, I can't think of any car I've had that actually showed me how many gallons I had left, this is pretty universal in my experience, not 4xe specific?

4. Sticky Max Regen... big yes. "Brake Light Activated: indicator... big no. As far as I know, the 4xe does not "apply the brakes" on it's own. It's always dictated by your input. If I have Max Regen on, I know when I take my foot off the throttle, the vehicle will start to slow down and the brake light comes on. I definitely don't want a light coming off and on to indicate that to me as well since I'm the one who put it in this mode.

7. I want to see the numbers on this. If it's a more beneficial impact on overall mpg to run the main battery down on it's own as much as possible, then Hybrid mode is doing it's job. If not, then I'd agree with this, or with making the normal Hybrid mode smarter.

8. I think they should have embedded it into the same spot (or close to) so that it was flat and not raised up. This prevents it from taking up extra space and allows current mods that use that area to still fit properly. Would be sweet if they had placed them in the grill and made it so you could see them in blue when charging, or have them on as amber "pre-runner" style lights as an option while driving.

11. I believe most of that roughness coming and going from a stop is not actually the shift between gears but the ICE/Hybird engagement. I'll have to find the article I read that talked about this though.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I've been using Trip A as the running totals and Trip B for each tank fill up. So far I havent had trip A reset on me in 2+ months.
I've seen a couple people mention it, and Trip A reset on me a couple weeks ago. All in total it ended up resetting in just under 3 months and around 4k miles I think.

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I've seen a couple people mention it, and Trip A reset on me a couple weeks ago. All in total it ended up resetting in just under 3 months and around 4k miles I think.
Well that's annoying, I can't think of any functional reason for it to do that.

So I'm not sure if anyone else does this, but I created a Google spreadsheet on my phone and with each fill up I take not of my trip info including gas miles, electric miles, gallons consumed, etc. If trip A does reset I at least have data I can reference to calculate the running total.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer

So I'm not sure if anyone else does this, but I created a Google spreadsheet on my phone and with each fill up I take not of my trip info including gas miles, electric miles, gallons consumed, etc. If trip A does reset I at least have data I can reference to calculate the running total.
There's an app for that. Several actually, so you don't even have to set up your own spreadsheet. Heck, for people who "don't have time for that", you could just take a picture of your mileage and gas purchase at each fill-up and add it all in later!

I started but then realized I don't really care enough to keep up with it. lol

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
There's an app for that. Several actually, so you don't even have to set up your own spreadsheet. Heck, for people who "don't have time for that", you could just take a picture of your mileage and gas purchase at each fill-up and add it all in later!

I started but then realized I don't really care enough to keep up with it. lol
There are apps for damn near everything these days. I don't mind keeping my own log, in a way doing the tracking by hand keeps me engaged/invested in process.

Sponsored

4xeRubicon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe

It resets after 99 hours of drive time.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
<<<snip>>>

<<<snip>>>​

13. Option to soften lock/unlock horn.
That lock confirmation honk is way too loud. Some other manufacturers have a lighter beep function for this.​
But the light bar is a patented design! 5 LEDs in a plastic enclosure. Who would have thought?

Yes, as someone else said, this can be disabled, see your owners manual. Horn honking on lock/unlock should be outlawed. Flash the lights, we aren't blind, we're driving a vehicle after all! :) GM is especially bad at the loudness of the horn when locking/unlocking. I can't express how much I love my next door neighbor with their Chevy pickup just outside my bedroom window. :angry:

First thing I did when I got home with my new JK was to disable the horn on lock.

Last edited:

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
But the light bar is a patented design! 5 LEDs in a plastic enclosure. Who would have thought?

Yes, as someone else said, this can be disabled, see your owners manual. Horn honking on lock/unlock should be outlawed. Flash the lights, we aren't blind, we're driving a vehicle after all! :) GM is especially bad at the loudness of the horn when locking/unlocking. I can't express how much I love my next door neighbor with their Chevy pickup just outside my bedroom window. :angry:

First thing I did when I got home with my new JK was to disable the horn on lock.
Sounds like you need to turn it back on and park near your neighbor's bedroom window.

OP
OP
sentience

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov

I just want an optional soft lock sound. The standard horn can wake up the dead, and the silent option means I would need to look back at the Jeep to confirm I’ve locked it. Other manufacturers do this better.

One item I forgot to add - the GPS startup globe screen. It’s a pixelated mess. 🌎

Skippy

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford Bronco 351W, 2021 Rubicon 4xe
I just want an optional soft lock sound. The standard horn can wake up the dead, and the silent option means I would need to look back at the Jeep to confirm I’ve locked it. Other manufacturers do this better.

One item I forgot to add - the GPS startup globe screen. It’s a pixelated mess. 🌎
It would be nice if the soft lock you describe could run through the pedestrian speakers that are in front and rear. Maybe tazer can come up with that one.
Sponsored