Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
We are planning to visit some family in North Carolina in the Denver and Raliegh/Durham areas late October, early November-ish. Thinking of heading out to the coast as well. We enjoy dispersed camping and an occasional BnB. Still deciding whether to drive our Grand Cherokee or the JLURXR, either way we drag an Extreme Off Road Hiker Trailer.

Looking for suggestions along the way and while in North Carolina in the fall—
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Well dam your going to just miss me and Carla. We will be in North Carolina the first week of October. On the Coast, I would go out on the Outer Banks. I am fond of Cape Look Out because there is a point on the south side of the island that goes out into the ocean. Then you can see the sunrise looking east, turn your chair 180 degrees and watch the sun set into the ocean.

I would not camp on the point, go back north about a half mile and tuck up next to the sand dune. The high tide will wash over the point.

look here on the map.

Cape Lookout Point on google maps

You can only get on Cape Look Out by a ferry. I highly recommend that you call and set up a reservation for the ferry. Or your drive may be for nothing.

This is what you can expect to see.

Jeep Wrangler JL Central Texas to North Carolina in late October - cancelled 1661086981130

Jeep Wrangler JL Central Texas to North Carolina in late October - cancelled 1661086997990

Jeep Wrangler JL Central Texas to North Carolina in late October - cancelled 1661087022080

Jeep Wrangler JL Central Texas to North Carolina in late October - cancelled 1661087126861

Jeep Wrangler JL Central Texas to North Carolina in late October - cancelled 1661087165302

OP
OP
cornercanyon

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
@wibornz hmmm. We'll look at our dates, Maybe we can work it out to come earlier. You are going to be teaching at Overland East, right?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
@wibornz hmmm. We'll look at our dates, Maybe we can work it out to come earlier. You are going to be teaching at Overland East, right?
I am. I will be doing a presentation on planning extended travel and be part of round table discussion on overlonding in general..

Last edited:
OP
OP
cornercanyon

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
So, we have our Outer Banks plans; where should we disperse camp and wheel near before and after? Taking the Ferry from Davis NC–

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
If you are still looking for somewhere around Denver/Raleigh, Uwharrie wouldn't be to far out of the way between the two.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
So, we have our Outer Banks plans; where should we disperse camp and wheel near before and after? Taking the Ferry from Davis NC–
There's not really any real wheeling at the coast beyond the beach. For proper Jeep wheeling, the only thing we got really is the Uwharrie National Forest OHV trails roughly between Charlotte and Raleigh. National Forests in North Carolina - Badin Lake OHV Trail Complex (usda.gov)

For dispersed camping, the Croatan National Forest is about 30-45 min west of Davis and has dispersed camping areas: National Forests in North Carolina - Croatan National Forest (usda.gov)

Do be forewarned, that time of year there's still mosquitoes (they don't really go away until like late Dec) - I grew up around those parts, lots of experience with the bugs. Do be careful though, it's all very low lying and stuff floods quick in some of the boggier areas in the Croatan.

OP
OP
cornercanyon

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
There's not really any real wheeling at the coast beyond the beach. For proper Jeep wheeling, the only thing we got really is the Uwharrie National Forest OHV trails roughly between Charlotte and Raleigh. National Forests in North Carolina - Badin Lake OHV Trail Complex (usda.gov)

For dispersed camping, the Croatan National Forest is about 30-45 min west of Davis and has dispersed camping areas: National Forests in North Carolina - Croatan National Forest (usda.gov)

Do be forewarned, that time of year there's still mosquitoes (they don't really go away until like late Dec) - I grew up around those parts, lots of experience with the bugs. Do be careful though, it's all very low lying and stuff floods quick in some of the boggier areas in the Croatan.
We use ammonia to mask food smells bears like out west, does that work for mosquitoes, too?

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
We use ammonia to mask food smells bears like out west, does that work for mosquitoes, too?
Nothing really works for mosquitoes lol, at least not in the volumes eastern NC sees, particularly the swampier areas you're looking at camping in. You can reduce how much they pester you with a good high DEET bug spray, but there are still brave ones that come in for a snack. Physical barriers are best, canopies with no-see-um bug mesh and all that. If you're lucky and it's a cool temperature out, that'll help too.

OP
OP
cornercanyon

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Well, we are rescheduling this trip to next spring as our 'number one' daughter wasn't able to join us this fall.

Wife bought tickets to Hawaii for November and we'll camp in Caprock Canyons SP in October instead.

Thank you for the suggestions. We will revisit this thread—
Sponsored