Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
  • Banned
Hey guys, my dealer agreed to do a free clutch install while my JLR is in for warranty work for a Rear Main Seal leak. I'm having a hard time deciding between the two available Centerforce Clutches. I have 37" Tires and Stock Rubicon Gearing with no intentions of regearing, the vehicle's primary use it offroading.

Is the Dual Friction overkill, should I stick with the Centerforce II?

Any advice would be appreciated.

*Edited
Sponsored

Last edited:

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Hey guys, my dealer agreed to do a free clutch install while my JLR is in for warranty work for a Rear Main Seal leak. I'm having a hard time deciding between the two available Centerforce Clutches. I have 37" Tires and Stock Rubicon Gearing with no intentions of regearing, the vehicle's primary use it offroading.

Is the Dual Clutch overkill, should I stick with the Centerforce II?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Maybe links or model numbers for the clutches you are considering would help. I did not see any dual clutches from Centerforce for the JL, only two models with different friction materials. The "Dual Friction" model uses two different friction materials on each side of the clutch disc, one for holding power and the other for control.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Yea I think he’s referring to the Dual Friction model vs the centerforce II.

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
  • Banned
Yup, adjusting post and thread title!

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Watching for the same input.
Gregj

Sponsored

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I sent centerforce an email about this. From what they told me, both will have very similar driving characteristics. However, the dual friction gives you a step up in holding power.

From what I can see, both options have more than enough holding force for a stock 3.6.

They both come in at a very similar price point and it doesn’t look like there are any trade offs by going with the dual friction. I guess it really comes down to whether you plan on adding more power down the road. (E.g. supercharger or turbo)

For me, availability is going to be the deciding factor between the two.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I sent centerforce an email about this. From what they told me, both will have very similar driving characteristics. However, the dual friction gives you a step up in holding power.

From what I can see, both options have more than enough holding force for a stock 3.6.

They both come in at a very similar price point and it doesn’t look like there are any trade offs by going with the dual friction. I guess it really comes down to whether you plan on adding more power down the road. (E.g. supercharger or turbo)

For me, availability is going to be the deciding factor between the two.
Interesting. Still curious if this holding power is translated best off-road. It’s heavier, yes? Does this dual friction negatively affect gas mileage more than the regular centerforce? Does the regular centerforce not affect gas mileage?

they completely skipped over these questions when I emailed them. Thanks for your reply.

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
  • Banned
I'm assuming more holding power will also benefit my 37s?

Thanks for the replies so far.

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Interesting. Still curious if this holding power is translated best off-road. It’s heavier, yes? Does this dual friction negatively affect gas mileage more than the regular centerforce? Does the regular centerforce not affect gas mileage?

they completely skipped over these questions when I emailed them. Thanks for your reply.
I think they both come with the same heavy flywheel. Could be wrong though. There are some posts in other threads about gas mileage people are seeing with this setup. From what I read last, seems like mpg is about the same. Maybe a little less but not significant. I think a lot depends on the type of driving your doing. A lot of stop and go could take a bit more energy to get the heavier flywheel moving, but you could see an improvement while cruising because of the increased inertia.

This is what I was really curious about because I’m going to be towing a small boat trailer. I mentioned this to centerforce and it didn’t seem like they recommended the dual friction over the centerforce II specifically for towing but I definitely could be wrong.

If the centerforce II can hold 434 ft/lbs of torque, but the 3.6 only produces 260 ft/lbs at peak, wouldn’t any force above 260 just overcome the engine or other parts first?
Sponsored