Sponsored

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
...I can't help but to giggle a bit. I also watch the thread regarding the recall on the grenades disguised as OEM clutches. There is no way in hell my Jeep will ever go back to a dealership to get that new FW, or I guess for any service for that matter since they are obligated to push it regardless of what you need serviced.
Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Iā€™m thinking of getting the center force too.
We donā€™t have to get the recall if we put the CF in right? As long as it is documented that is was taken care of?
Min just wondering the cost to install.

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
We donā€™t have to get the recall if we put the CF in right? As long as it is documented that is was taken care of?
I'm fairly sure they need to perform the FW upgrade to consider the recall cleared. The dealership will likely argue that the FW does no harm even if an aftermarket clutch is installed. I personally have no interest in getting the new FW. I've changed so much on this vehicle that it is barely still considered an FCA product.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I'm fairly sure they need to perform the FW upgrade to consider the recall cleared. The dealership will likely argue that the FW does no harm even if an aftermarket clutch is installed. I personally have no interest in getting the new FW. I've changed so much on this vehicle that it is barely still considered an FCA product.
Well I suppose it canā€™t do any harm but I guess Iā€™ll have to ask a jeep shop about that. If I do have the CF installed may be best use a jeep shop instead of the dealer

Last edited:

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The CF install eliminates all the troubled parts

kgrencer

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys
Anyone else notice Centerforce pulled the JL clutches from their website all together?.......

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
Anyone else notice Centerforce pulled the JL clutches from their website all together?.......
Out of stock until August or so. I spoke with a rep recently and he said the demand has outpaced supply ever since the new recall was issued.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Out of stock until August or so. I spoke with a rep recently and he said the demand has outpaced supply ever since the new recall was issued.
Hopefully they get caught up. I plan to use my stock clutch to the end of its life then join the Centerforce family.
My clutch works fine and I wouldā€™ve normally just put another factory clutch when itā€™s time but they refuse to admit these current clutches are a little too light duty and it doesnā€™t seem theyā€™re going to beef them up so.....

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Hopefully they get caught up. I plan to use my stock clutch to the end of its life then join the Centerforce family.
My clutch works fine and I wouldā€™ve normally just put another factory clutch when itā€™s time but they refuse to admit these current clutches are a little too light duty and it doesnā€™t seem theyā€™re going to beef them up so.....
I've been following along for a while now, and this is exactly my game plan. I got the first clutch recall done but I'm just not 100% happy with the way the OEM clutch behaves. it's got weird engagement points and Just feels really light, like there is no range- It's just on/off and any sort of gradual engagement is not possible unless you're really slipping it.

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Today, June 14, 2021, the Centerforce website lists nothing for this model year. You pick 2021, and for "Select Make" it just gives you a blank white rectangle. If you pick 2020 for the year, it lets you pick Jeep, Wrangler, Sport, and the only item they list is:

601812 - Centerforce Accessories, Clutch Slave Cylinder

Likewise for 2020, 2019, and 2018 choosing anything that isn't a JK.

It appears they isn't interested in selling no clutches to nobody is delivering no babies Miss Scarlet.

I hope I didn't let too much smoke out of mine today. Even though the 2021 model supposedly solved some of these issues, I'm fearful that I am about to experience a grenade situation. šŸ˜•

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Well Centerforce has to step up to the plate too. If my clutch were to give up the ghost today Iā€™m certainly not planning to leave the Jeep in my garage for 6 months waiting for parts.
Do we have other options besides OEM and Centerforce?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

2019JLUR

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Sorry to bump an old thread and write a novel - not sure if its against the rules after 1 year (let me know if there is a new thread)? But wanted to add my experience for anyone still interested, its been a long road for me, I wish I knew then what I know now, hopefully this helps anyone still trying to figure out how to fix what the factory should have never let out the door - and IMO an ECM re-flash is NOT a fix to a mechanical deficiency! ... I upgraded my 19 JLUR to a Centerforce this past April (2021) - with the DF dual friction (KDF157077) and after 5k mi (40-50mi off road/4Lo) its been a love hate experience. @Chris Dobbins , did you get the CF I, II or DF? Compared to stock I love the heavier linear pedal feel and engagement and the heavier flywheel makes off-road starts on steep grades, etc so controllable in 4Lo. BUT for normal street driving... I'm getting chatter in 1st and reverse just as you reach full engagement, CF said to give it 500 miles to break in, but after 5k its no better (or worse). And it's noisy, especially fully engaged driving under load at between 1700-2000 rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear, not grindy, not slipping, not a vibration, not getting better/worse, but a low growl - again I realize that a little more noise is inherent to the singe disc design, centrifugal weights, etc... but I'm always thinking a bearing is about the seize - it's a noise you can't unhear and drives my OCD crazy (my wife doesn't hear it at all LOL). If I were to do it again (to deal with the chatter) I would have gone for the CF I or II , IMO the DF is too much clutch for the underpowered 3.6. I think the only diff between the II & DF is the friction material, so I may end up changing to the II friction disc at some point if they come back in stock . I also would consider a South Bend Clutch, Stage 2 - Daily: KJLW-HD-O. They approach the upgrade differently, they use the OEM flywheel and stock twin disc configuration, but upgrade the friction material on the discs and replace the undersized OEM separator plate (attached to the OEM pressure plate - not sure of exact name) with a custom billet replacement. This undersized OEM mid plate is what I understand is probably the weak link that overheats and breaks apart catastrophically and the reason for the original recall (can't confirm this is fact, but seems plausible) The SB retains the exact stock pedal feel (that's good or bad depending on your opinion of the stock config) with upgraded life, engagement characteristics and heat management. I'm not sure about the SB using the stock vs. heavier CF flywheel in real world conditions - I'd probably choose CF heavier all else equal. Rev hang is another issue - it was a problem when the Jeep was stock and it seems a little worse with the heavier flywheel - especially trying the rock yourself out of a mudhole and moderating the throttle as you get traction, feels like a runnaway train for a few terrifying seconds. (I always wonder if rev hang is an ECM programing thing baked into the software). I'm living with the DF and accept the noise and chatter as minor annoyances becasue the performance is ultimatly great 99% of the time - I may swap the DF friction disc for a CF II disc in the future if my OCD gets the best of me to see if I can possibly reduce the chatter. Hope this helps someone in my shoes a year ago.
Sponsored