Sponsored
First Name
Brian-Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 6SPEED
I read through the newsletter you received and I can't seem to find where they state the issue was with the clutch disk specifically.

This is what I received in the email:

"Hello,

Here is a letter we sent out that explains what is going on with the JL clutch. I have looked at some of the forums and spoken to a few customers that have issues with their clutch. We did not do a recall on the clutch. If you are not comfortable having your clutch installed having read through the forums and the attached letter, you could return the clutch back to purchase point."
Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Alright, so basically nothing specifying what was being replaced in the new iteration when it's released. The rep I was speaking to was told by an "engineer" that the clutch had to be redesigned because they could not figure out what specific part was causing the issue, hence a full rebuild. According to them the noise is just a noise and shouldn't be resulting in any damage, probably why there is no "recall".

My noise is also related to weather, the colder it is outside the louder the clutch, 80* days and the clutch is silent as can be.

If they gave you the option to return it and buy a new one when it drops that would be your safest bet. Playing crap shoot with a clutch install doesn't seem worth it. I'm proof of that -_-

First Name
Brian-Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 6SPEED
Alright, so basically nothing specifying what was being replaced in the new iteration when it's released. The rep I was speaking to was told by an "engineer" that the clutch had to be redesigned because they could not figure out what specific part was causing the issue, hence a full rebuild. According to them the noise is just a noise and shouldn't be resulting in any damage, probably why there is no "recall".

My noise is also related to weather, the colder it is outside the louder the clutch, 80* days and the clutch is silent as can be.

If they gave you the option to return it and buy a new one when it drops that would be your safest bet. Playing crap shoot with a clutch install doesn't seem worth it. I'm proof of that -_-

I agree completely. All that labor, it's not an easy install. That would be totally different. Where did you get yours installed at? Was it always making noise or slowly crept up and got worse?

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
...got an email from CF today, they are shipping a replacement pressure plate, disc, alignment tool and release bearing on March 1. They want the damaged parts returned for analysis (they say they are including a prepaid shipping label as well). Gonna miss ol' Chewbaca... not.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
...got an email from CF today, they are shipping a replacement pressure plate, disc, alignment tool and release bearing on March 1. They want the damaged parts returned for analysis (they say they are including a prepaid shipping label as well). Gonna miss ol' Chewbaca... not.
Same here, already made appointment at dealership for the install.

Was so god damn loud today....

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
CF is sending me one too. I had no unusual noises or issues. I have been dealing with the clutch disc rubbing on the flywheel and not fully disengaging. This could be the result of an inconsistent transmission input shaft or an installer error (me). I didn't have mopar specified spline grease and what I used instead may have gummed up after being heated with normal clutch usage. Once gummed up it's preventing the disc from freely traveling on the shaft splines.

I've got to find some time to do the swap though, that will be the bigger challenge.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Many of us manual gearbox users are interested in the outcomes. We are grateful for your willingness to share your experiences with CF, keep us posted! I must say, it looks like customer service is really good.

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
OK... so, replacement parts are installed, no noise so far. Seems that the push is lighter (somewhere between the stock feel and the feel of the first set of parts) and engagement occurs further into the pedal stroke. I am interested to hear what others are experiencing, as I chose a different shop for this work than my original performance shop (cheaper and quicker appointment.)

Jeeper352

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
I hate to put a damper on this, but I’m having the same exact Wookie noise that heavy user has in his video, and I have a stock clutch! I also get that like metal burring noise from somewhere in the clutch , if I pop in between second and third or third and fourth, then same thing that causes the wheels to spin right after shifting. I feel like that is separate, and very common. But there is something else going on here with these STOCK clutches/transmission input shaft, pilot bearing (or lack there of?) Or some thing. Just bought mine, 2021 JLUR

Last edited:

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I hate to put a damper on this, but I’m having the same exact Wookie noise that heavy user has in his video, and I have a stock clutch! I also get that like metal burring noise from somewhere in the clutch , if I pop in between second and third or third and fourth, then same thing that causes the wheels to spin right after shifting. I feel like that is separate, and very common. But there is something else going on here with these STOCK clutches/transmission input shaft, pilot bearing (or lack there of?) Or some thing. Just bought mine, 2021 JLUR
Interesting. Can you explain the metal burring noise better? I don't quite follow. Or i just haven't had my coffee yet 😄

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Can someone that get's the new Centerforce clutch post a pic so we can see if there are any visible changes?

Jeeper352

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Interesting. Can you explain the metal burring noise better? I don't quite follow. Or i just haven't had my coffee yet 😄
It’s a whirring/metal burring Noise as friction disc speeds up right as u release clutch to go into gear, same force that leads wheels to spin for a sec, issue that everyone has. Sounds to me like disc is burring or not releasing totally evenly against flywheel. These clutches don’t engage and disengage smoothly

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Can someone that get's the new Centerforce clutch post a pic so we can see if there are any visible changes?
Clutch disc completely different. Pressure plate had additional retainer added to the centrifugal weights. Mine had been off center, I may have hit them when i did the original install. Either way, the new one should not have that happen

I was also reminded how badly it sucks to change these clutches without a lift. Took me 7.5 hours by myself instead of 11 the first time. I also had my 13 month old daughter repeatedly "helping" me by walking off with whatever tool or bolt I was about to need next 🙄

20210307_142356.jpg

20210307_140544.jpg

20210307_140539.jpg

GreySportySpice

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JL Sport 6MT, 21' Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Clutch disc completely different. Pressure plate had additional retainer added to the centrifugal weights. Mine had been off center, I may have hit them when i did the original install. Either way, the new one should not have that happen

I was also reminded how badly it sucks to change these clutches without a lift. Took me 7.5 hours by myself instead of 11 the first time. I also had my 13 month old daughter repeatedly "helping" me by walking off with whatever tool or bolt I was about to need next 🙄

Jeep Wrangler JL Centerforce Clutch Installed on JL Rubicon 20210307_140539

You think those off center weights were causing that clutch to drag?
Sponsored