Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What was the source of the information about the beefed up internals and the floating input shaft? From this picture of the OEM flywheel, it looks like the input shaft is supported.

jl clutch new flywheel 2.jpg
Input shaft not supported. Its not a bearing or bushing after all
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I wouldn't say no problems. I'm still working on mine to run right after a month. Know another guy with same problem. Pedal feel is fine, but difficulty shifting and makes a vibration/murmur from a stop. Goes away once rolling.

Other guy had is at Centerforce for three weeks. Just got it back and still has issues. They are sending me a replacement, but I may just go back to OEM. I'm burning up the summer on this clutch.

Centerforce service is good, they are working with us, but for the two of us it isn't a set it and forget it product. I appreciate it may not even be their clutch, but some other variable in a batch of jeeps, etc. that may be causing the issue.

Anyone else have difficulty engaging gears - especially first - after install?
Thanks for the honest feedback. I was considering paying extra for a Centerforce clutch when my OEM clutch failed the recall 3 weeks ago. Went with a new OEM clutch for free and it drives great with the clutch engaging at a lower point. Hope you get yours figured out.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I don’t have my new Jeep yet, but I like the idea of the centerforce upgrade. For those having issues with it, is it with the dual friction version or the centerforce II version or both?

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I don’t have my new Jeep yet, but I like the idea of the centerforce upgrade. For those having issues with it, is it with the dual friction version or the centerforce II version or both?
I would say no issues with mine and it's the dual friction

OP
OP
Chris Dobbins

Chris Dobbins

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Jeep Wrangler,18' Subaru Outback,94' Ford IDI
Hopefully this will help some of you out. I have over 4,000 miles now with no issues. Clutch is smooth and responsive. Here is a few snippets from the shop manual on the correct Bleeding Procedure, Installing clutch slave cylinder, and Shift Adjustment. If you or your shop removed the bracket that holds the shift cables to the transmission and didn't locate. You will have to re-adjust. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS YOURSELF UNLESS YOU ARE CONFIDENT IN YOUR ABILITIES!

Happy Jeeping :sun:

Jeep Wrangler JL Centerforce Clutch Installed on JL Rubicon Alternate Clutch Hydraulic System Bleeding Procedure.PNG

Jeep Wrangler JL Centerforce Clutch Installed on JL Rubicon Removal And Installation Clutch Slave Cylinder.PNG

Jeep Wrangler JL Centerforce Clutch Installed on JL Rubicon Shift Cable Adjustment 1.PNG

Jeep Wrangler JL Centerforce Clutch Installed on JL Rubicon Shift Cable Adjustment 2.PNG

Sponsored

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
@Chris Dobbins thanks for posting that. For what’s it’s worth I’ve got 200mi on my new dual friction and haven’t had any issues. I’ve been driving it easy per break-in instructions. Do you have a picture of that bracket that holds the cables to the transmission? I took mine off and left it off so the cables wouldn’t be so pinched. I should probably put it back on but would like to see pic for confirmation.

Last edited:

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

I've been in contact with someone in AZ that had their shop at Centerforce for three weeks and still has shifting issues & makes a shuddering noise when rolling out of a stop.

They are updating versions to address, so I don't think this is an install issue. Could be variation in a batch of clutches, variations in Jeep production specs, or an infinite number of other variables.

At this point I'm leaning towards reinstalling a new OEM clutch.

OP
OP
Chris Dobbins

Chris Dobbins

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Jeep Wrangler,18' Subaru Outback,94' Ford IDI
@Chris Dobbins thanks for posting that. For what’s it’s worth I’ve got 200mi on my new dual friction and haven’t had any issues. I’ve been driving it easy per break-in instructions. Do you have a picture of that bracket that holds the cables to the transmission? I took mine off and left it off so the cables wouldn’t be so pinched. I should probably put it back on but would like to see pic for confirmation.
You must be talking about the brace that is attached to the transfer case. Looks like a coat hanger bent up? It keeps your cables secure so they don't bounce around. You could not shift at all if the bracket that holds the shift cables to the transmission was off.

Cable to transmission "Bracket in Green"
Jeep Wrangler JL Centerforce Clutch Installed on JL Rubicon Shift Cable Bracket.PNG

Brace on transfer case
Jeep Wrangler JL Centerforce Clutch Installed on JL Rubicon Retaining Bracket.PNG

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
You must be talking about the brace that is attached to the transfer case. Looks like a coat hanger bent up? It keeps your cables secure so they don't bounce around. You could not shift at all if the bracket that holds the shift cables to the transmission was off.

Cable to transmission "Bracket in Green"
Jeep Wrangler JL Centerforce Clutch Installed on JL Rubicon Retaining Bracket.PNG

Brace on transfer case
Yes, the bent up coat hanger is the one I left off. Don’t think it’s needed but I’m gonna put it back on anyway.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Always had good luck with Centerforce products. I hope you have the same

Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Picked up my JLR with a new Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch installed .... wow, what a difference. Peddle feel is like a real clutch now, engagement point is spot on every time, smoother ride all around.

I do hear chatter at idle with the peddle depressed, pretty sure that is normal. Also randomly hearing a slight metal sound if I take my foot of the clutch quickly while in neutral. Slowly releasing the clutch makes no noise. No shudders, no issues going into gear from a stop. Had an event where I tried to downshift into first and had to force it in, but this has happened to me before with the stock clutch.

PS: my old clutch was mega glazed on me.

USAFREODRetired

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Picked up my JLR with a new Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch installed .... wow, what a difference. Peddle feel is like a real clutch now, engagement point is spot on every time, smoother ride all around.

I do hear chatter at idle with the peddle depressed, pretty sure that is normal. Also randomly hearing a slight metal sound if I take my foot of the clutch quickly while in neutral. Slowly releasing the clutch makes no noise. No shudders, no issues going into gear from a stop. Had an event where I tried to downshift into first and had to force it in, but this has happened to me before with the stock clutch.

PS: my old clutch was mega glazed on me.
Who did you have do the install, a dealership or a tranny shop?

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Who did you have do the install, a dealership or a tranny shop?
Dealership did it free of charge, they had to replace a rear main seal so they did me a favor.

Edit: Clutch engagement point has moved up about 2"s and I'm no longer hearing any metal slapping sounds when quickly releasing my foot from the clutch in neutral.

Hobo

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
I'm really thinking about getting the Centerforce clutch. I love the JLUR manual, but I don't love the shifting of gears, particularly 1-2. And I stall sometimes, and never stall in other manuals. Have others here had a dealer do the installation? I certainly don't have the skills to do it. Is the general consensus here that the Centerforce clutch is a meaningful improvement and is worth doing?

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I had mine done w/free labor.

The price of the clutch it worth it. Not sure if I would have jumped on it knowing that labor would have cost around 1200-1800 depending where you live.
Sponsored