Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

It's more of a bushing than a bearing. When installing mine it was a snug fit. Wasn't a press fit like a bearing. It has to be able to turn when you disengage the clutch. Your input shaft rides on it. Didn't measure mine so cant help you there. I am at 500 miles now with no issues. Tell the shop to call Centerforce and explain what's going on and I'm sure they would be glad to help.

Thanks Chris. That is the issue, the bushing/bearing is smaller than it should be, so its loose and not snug. Builder has called Centerforce and they sent a replacement, but it too is the same size/too small.

Shop also indicator there is a 'lip' that won't allow it to fully seat (even if loose) - did you run into this at all?

Thanks again!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chris Dobbins

Chris Dobbins

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Jeep Wrangler,18' Subaru Outback,94' Ford IDI
Thanks Chris. That is the issue, the bushing/bearing is smaller than it should be, so its loose and not snug. Builder has called Centerforce and they sent a replacement, but it too is the same size/too small.

Shop also indicator there is a 'lip' that won't allow it to fully seat (even if loose) - did you run into this at all?

Thanks again!
No lip when fully seated. Fit like every other pilot bushing I have installed. Maybe there was a mix up with it being a JL and not a JK. I am not sure if the bushings are different, but just a guess. Sorry you are having these problems. Centerforce has been around a long time. So its odd your shop cant get the right part. Have you tried calling them yourself and talking with customer service? I would be interested in what they say.

OP
OP
Chris Dobbins

Chris Dobbins

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did some research on our Aisin transmissions. The 6 speed internals were beefed up to run with out a pilot bushing. So the input shaft is floating and is not supported. Seems counter intuitive but only time will tell. So to your question about the undersized bushing, which I am going to call an alignment tool bushing at this point. I would say install your clutch, torque it down, and remove the alignment bushing before installing the transmission. It serves no purpose other than lining up your clutch disk for assembly. Hope this helps clarify a few things. :like:

Jim Guarino

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I have a August 2018 JLU Rubicon, and I am in the process of installing a Centerforce clutch now. When I 1st drove the new Jeep, I was surprised at how much the engine had to be reved so it would not "stumble" when 1st starting to move. I have had manual transmission vehicles for many years, and this Jeep was the only one that had a "learning curve" before it seemed second nature to go to a higher RPM when starting out. When I was researching how to improve the "low end" and off-road driving characteristics, I found the Centerforce video on You Tube. That seemed to be the solution to the issue. I was surprised at how long it took to get everything disconnected or out of the way before the transmission could be removed. Not that it is out, I saw that the "bushing" from Centerforce appears to part of the alignment tool, and there is no provision for a pilot bearing. I plan call Centerforce today to confirm that. It would help if Centerforce included a bulletin or notice in the kit that explained such things as the pilot bearing question and bolt torques.

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Jim, keep us informed on what CF tells you. Thanks.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a August 2018 JLU Rubicon, and I am in the process of installing a Centerforce clutch now. When I 1st drove the new Jeep, I was surprised at how much the engine had to be reved so it would not "stumble" when 1st starting to move. I have had manual transmission vehicles for many years, and this Jeep was the only one that had a "learning curve" before it seemed second nature to go to a higher RPM when starting out. When I was researching how to improve the "low end" and off-road driving characteristics, I found the Centerforce video on You Tube. That seemed to be the solution to the issue. I was surprised at how long it took to get everything disconnected or out of the way before the transmission could be removed. Not that it is out, I saw that the "bushing" from Centerforce appears to part of the alignment tool, and there is no provision for a pilot bearing. I plan call Centerforce today to confirm that. It would help if Centerforce included a bulletin or notice in the kit that explained such things as the pilot bearing question and bolt torques.
The torque specs are with the bolts in the kit. The transmission does not use a pilot bearing so the bushing for alignment is all that's needed. A helper is handy for keeping the engine from rotating while trying to torque those bolts

OP
OP
Chris Dobbins

Chris Dobbins

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So this is the dual friction centerforce clutch?

Just wondering since they make both a single and dual for the JL
I installed the single called "Centerforce ® II Clutch Full Kit with flywheel". Here is a video explaining the differences.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I installed the single called "Centerforce ® II Clutch Full Kit with flywheel". Here is a video explaining the differences.
Hmmm... he didn’t really explain anything other than good, better, best. What the heck do intake and exhaust have to do with your clutch? Is he implying a CAI and obnoxious sounding exhaust will add significant power? :giggle:

The bit about blowers and turbos makes sense, but that other stuff he was spewing was nonsense. Sounds like they’re marketing to all the yo-yos with “stanced” Honda Civics. “Yo, if you got that CAI and Borla, you got to get that dual friction clutch. The ladies will love it!”

Whatever, still looks like a good product. I’m looking forward to updates from you guys after driving with these for a while.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Did some research on our Aisin transmissions. The 6 speed internals were beefed up to run with out a pilot bushing. So the input shaft is floating and is not supported. Seems counter intuitive but only time will tell. So to your question about the undersized bushing, which I am going to call an alignment tool bushing at this point. I would say install your clutch, torque it down, and remove the alignment bushing before installing the transmission. It serves no purpose other than lining up your clutch disk for assembly. Hope this helps clarify a few things. :like:
What was the source of the information about the beefed up internals and the floating input shaft? From this picture of the OEM flywheel, it looks like the input shaft is supported.

Jeep Wrangler JL Centerforce Clutch Installed on JL Rubicon jl clutch new flywheel 2

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
What was the source of the information about the beefed up internals and the floating input shaft? From this picture of the OEM flywheel, it looks like the input shaft is supported.

Jeep Wrangler JL Centerforce Clutch Installed on JL Rubicon jl clutch new flywheel 2
You could call centerforce and get clarification. They’ve been running it in their JL’s with no problems.

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

I wouldn't say no problems. I'm still working on mine to run right after a month. Know another guy with same problem. Pedal feel is fine, but difficulty shifting and makes a vibration/murmur from a stop. Goes away once rolling.

Other guy had is at Centerforce for three weeks. Just got it back and still has issues. They are sending me a replacement, but I may just go back to OEM. I'm burning up the summer on this clutch.

Centerforce service is good, they are working with us, but for the two of us it isn't a set it and forget it product. I appreciate it may not even be their clutch, but some other variable in a batch of jeeps, etc. that may be causing the issue.

Anyone else have difficulty engaging gears - especially first - after install?

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I wouldn't say no problems. I'm still working on mine to run right after a month. Know another guy with same problem. Pedal feel is fine, but difficulty shifting and makes a vibration/murmur from a stop. Goes away once rolling.

Other guy had is at Centerforce for three weeks. Just got it back and still has issues. They are sending me a replacement, but I may just go back to OEM. I'm burning up the summer on this clutch.

Centerforce service is good, they are working with us, but for the two of us it isn't a set it and forget it product. I appreciate it may not even be their clutch, but some other variable in a batch of jeeps, etc. that may be causing the issue.

Anyone else have difficulty engaging gears - especially first - after install?
I did, but it was because i didn't get the clutch fully bled properly the first ten times... I ended up having to remove the slave cylinder, lightly pump on the clutch pedal (I blew apart my first slave cylinder pushing too hard on the pedal), while holding a vacuum with my Mityvac through the master cylinder reservoir.

Roger and Roman in Tech support amd engineering were super helpful, really above and beyond, in helping me get it up and running.

I do have an issue that it's hard to downshift into 1st if I'm moving more than 5 mph, but I think that's transmission related and nothing to do with the clutch
Sponsored