Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Checked the gauge on my why home today. Sure enough, getting 1 mpg more. Could be a fluke. I will keep an eye on it as time goes on. It does hold speed better and taking off from a stop doesn't require as much throttle to get moving.
Heavier flywheel takes more energy to spin up so if there is MPG impact, which I doubt would be measurable, it would be a decrease. In theory the energy isn't lost, much like heavier wheels and tires, but unless you're a hyper miler you won't be able to get what's lost while accelerating back while decelerating.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chris Dobbins

Chris Dobbins

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Jeep Wrangler,18' Subaru Outback,94' Ford IDI
OP, hard to tell from the pics, is the stock clutch a dual friction disk clutch? You're right, that seems way over-engineered. Following, if I keep it, one of the Centerforce clutches may be in my Jeeps future.
Its definitely dual friction. The odd part is the bottom plate. Its attached with 8 pins to the flywheel. And you can move it independently about 3/4 turn left to right. Some kind of dampening built in maybe? Would bet that is where the failure is coming from since the pressure plate bolts to it.
20200408_202205.jpg

OP
OP
Chris Dobbins

Chris Dobbins

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Following. This is good stuff. Any pics of the clutch replacement? I’m sure it’s a bear but just curious to see pics I guess.
If you are talking about the process of removing and installing. I didn't take any at the time. Just a shot of the new clutch Installed and the factory clutch so people could see it.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Thanks for posting this! Now I see what the parts look like in the exploding clutch thread. I will have to put a clutch upgrade at the top of the list.

Gregj

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any pics of just the stock disc? I hear it’s a dual disc but curious to see the 2 disc.

Last edited:

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Question for my expert Jeep family... I’m assuming after the virus dies down and life gets back to normal we will start getting our clutch recall notices. Is it possible my free replacement clutch would be as good as the Centerforce clutch?
Or would you recommend I speak to my dealer about me purchasing a Centerforce clutch and having them install that while the trans is down?

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Its definitely dual friction. The odd part is the bottom plate. Its attached with 8 pins to the flywheel. And you can move it independently about 3/4 turn left to right. Some kind of dampening built in maybe? Would bet that is where the failure is coming from since the pressure plate bolts to it.
20200408_202205.jpg
So it is a Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) after all. DMF typically have some type of springs between the two masses. They are usually used on engines with large torque spikes (diesels) to dampen them. The large torque spikes can beat things up. I have no idea why the 3.6l would need a DMF.

OP
OP
Chris Dobbins

Chris Dobbins

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So it is a Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) after all. DMF typically have some type of springs between the two masses. They are usually used on engines with large torque spikes (diesels) to dampen them. The large torque spikes can beat things up. I have no idea why the 3.6l would need a DMF.
That's it! Never seen one in person. Here is a video explaining it and what failures can occur.

OP
OP
Chris Dobbins

Chris Dobbins

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have any pics of just the stock disc? I hear it’s a dual disc but curious to see the 2 disc.
I will get it apart tomorrow and take pictures of the two disc. So it looks like a dual friction clutch mounted to a dual mass flywheel. :whew:

Sponsored

Ktmracer21

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR
Excellent review, i'm really on the fence about just buying the center force and submitting my costs to jeep. Do you or anyone else know how much jeep will reimburse us if we take this route?

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
For folks that know - is Centerforce the known best option for JL Wrangler clutches? Appears that South Bend also build clutches for our 3.6L engines. I hear they have excellent reputation also. But is it the case that Centerforce is the only shop that's building clutches expressly for Jeeps? Trying to understand the range of options and quality.

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

Hey guys - I'm working w a shop that is working on installing the Centerforce clutch. They have run into an issue w the pilot bearing being too small. It is 1.330" and sits in a gap that is 1.338" - or .008" larger. The spec is < .003". They received a second pilot bearing that is the same size and that is Centerforce's last solution.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm at the point where I may have to return and stick w the shody factory clutch - which I really don't want to do.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys - I'm working w a shop that is working on installing the Centerforce clutch. They have run into an issue w the pilot bearing being too small. It is 1.330" and sits in a gap that is 1.338" - or .008" larger. The spec is < .003". They received a second pilot bearing that is the same size and that is Centerforce's last solution.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm at the point where I may have to return and stick w the shody factory clutch - which I really don't want to do.
Wow Mark, sorry to hear. Keep us posted please.

OP
OP
Chris Dobbins

Chris Dobbins

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

It's more of a bushing than a bearing. When installing mine it was a snug fit. Wasn't a press fit like a bearing. It has to be able to turn when you disengage the clutch. Your input shaft rides on it. Didn't measure mine so cant help you there. I am at 500 miles now with no issues. Tell the shop to call Centerforce and explain what's going on and I'm sure they would be glad to help.
Sponsored