Sponsored

Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it? Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Sorry to beat a dead horse but just want to chime in and say this is still an issue. Have had my 2023 Sahara for 6 days and this is super annoying.

My CarPlay disconnects after only a few minutes. I tried pulling all the relevant fuses and pressing down all the others. Tried the usb-c adapter. Tried cleaning out the ports and used 2 different genuine Apple cables. It definitely seems to be a wiring issue between the center console and the radio because, like others have reported, the one on the dash works fine. I'll be taking it back to the dealer to see if they can do anything.
If the dealer can do anything, you'll be the first. :)

It's just a crap design IMHO and there's too much voltage drop getting to that center console port.
Sponsored

Hermz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara
If the dealer can do anything, you'll be the first. :)

It's just a crap design IMHO and there's too much voltage drop getting to that center console port.
I don't have high expectations from the dealer. It's weird that it doesn't happen to everyone tho. Makes me want to open it up and replace the cable but I don't really want to start doing that to a brand new car. I'm considering doing the Wireless CarPlay mod that seems less involved, but still not super jazzed about it

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I don't have high expectations from the dealer. It's weird that it doesn't happen to everyone tho. Makes me want to open it up and replace the cable but I don't really want to start doing that to a brand new car. I'm considering doing the Wireless CarPlay mod that seems less involved, but still not super jazzed about it
I use the CarLinkIt in the center console with USBC adapter, and for me it works flawlessly. Wireless CarPlay is so nice. If I am going on a long trip I'll go wired because it does gnaw on your battery some, but for to/from work and whatnot it's awesome.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
I use the CarLinkIt in the center console with USBC adapter, and for me it works flawlessly. Wireless CarPlay is so nice. If I am going on a long trip I'll go wired because it does gnaw on your battery some, but for to/from work and whatnot it's awesome.
I agree - I love CarPlay as well. I can stream my music, nav, whatever and just love it.

I tried the USBC adapter in the center console, but I'd still get dropouts. I finally kept the CarLink plugged into the front USB plug. I have to unplug it and plug it back in to "reboot" it once a week or so, but I've gotten so use to it that it's almost a non-issue. Almost. Still shouldn't have to do it, but whatever. Don't see it ever getting resolved. I use a iPhone 13 Pro.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I agree - I love CarPlay as well. I can stream my music, nav, whatever and just love it.

I tried the USBC adapter in the center console, but I'd still get dropouts. I finally kept the CarLink plugged into the front USB plug. I have to unplug it and plug it back in to "reboot" it once a week or so, but I've gotten so use to it that it's almost a non-issue. Almost. Still shouldn't have to do it, but whatever. Don't see it ever getting resolved. I use a iPhone 13 Pro.
Have you updated the firmware on the CarLinkIt? Might help with the stability issues anyway if you haven't. Just go to 192.168.50.2 in the browser while connected to it, and you can check for and install firmware from there.

Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Have you updated the firmware on the CarLinkIt? Might help with the stability issues anyway if you haven't. Just go to 192.168.50.2 in the browser while connected to it, and you can check for and install firmware from there.
Yeah, I did. Thanks. It seems that no matter what I do, I have the same issue. I've gotten to the point that I just accept it and move on.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys

I also have issues where I have to unplug and plug it back in at least once a week, realistically maybe 2-3 times. But mine is the symptom where it says incompatible device (forget the exact wording as I'm away from the Jeep). No amount of firmware updates have made that better. I don't have any issues with dropouts once it's connected though.

It's gotten to the point where I almost want to put in the dash again to make it easier and negate why I'm in this thread and did all the testing in the first place... (I have the OCD Console organizer so have to pull that out each time). Despite all this, I love wireless CarPlay and wouldn't want to have to go back to plugging it in.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hello Everyone,

We'd more than happy to check any internal information on this for you. Feel welcome to send a message with your VIN and we can search from there.

Steph
Jeep Cares

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Mine worked perfectly at first, but the longer it goes, the more it seems to get wonky. Don’t understand it.

jasander77

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Ordered - 2023 4DR Rubicon XR
Center console doesn't work for me in my 2023 either w/my iPhone 13 Pro Max. Tried to use it within first couple of days and it disconnected within a few minutes. Tried a few more times and went back to using the dash. Glad someone brought this thread back to life because I forgot about it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

KCRazorback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I also have issues where I have to unplug and plug it back in at least once a week, realistically maybe 2-3 times. But mine is the symptom where it says incompatible device (forget the exact wording as I'm away from the Jeep). No amount of firmware updates have made that better. I don't have any issues with dropouts once it's connected though.

It's gotten to the point where I almost want to put in the dash again to make it easier and negate why I'm in this thread and did all the testing in the first place... (I have the OCD Console organizer so have to pull that out each time). Despite all this, I love wireless CarPlay and wouldn't want to have to go back to plugging it in.
I have been using the recommended USB C / Carlinkit configuration for about 8 months and it works great. I have to reset it maybe 1-2 / month. Initially I received the "incompatible device" error regularly. I returned the Carlinkit unit to Amazon for a new one and have not had the problem since.

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
I wonder if running a better rated cable for the length of run from the center console to wherever that cable terminates to would help. This is what I assume to be the issue that is causing the problem I bet.

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella Sport, 2023 Reign Sahara
Center console doesn't work for me in my 2023 either. Tried to use it within first couple of days and it disconnected within a few minutes. Tried a few more times and went back to using the dash. Glad someone brought this thread back to life because I forgot about it.
The console port wasn't designed to work with CarPlay, it's charge only. The dash port is the only one that will work.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
The console port wasn't designed to work with CarPlay, it's charge only. The dash port is the only one that will work.
Not sure that's true. It works fine for some people, and with the USBC>A adapter my wireless CarPlay adapter works great. There's data connection there so it's clearly not just for charging.

I haven't tried my new iPhone 14 there yet over the wired connection, but my old 11 Pro always worked flawlessly in the center console port without any adapters if I plugged it directly in.

I still think the main problem is that the wire is too small and the voltage/current drops enough to cause things to disconnect when using it.

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella Sport, 2023 Reign Sahara
Not sure that's true. It works fine for some people, and with the USBC>A adapter my wireless CarPlay adapter works great. There's data connection there so it's clearly not just for charging.

I haven't tried my new iPhone 14 there yet over the wired connection, but my old 11 Pro always worked flawlessly in the center console port without any adapters if I plugged it directly in.

I still think the main problem is that the wire is too small and the voltage/current drops enough to cause things to disconnect when using it.
There was a hardware change for the 2021 model year. The console port in my 2020 worked great. 2021, 2022, and now 2023 are dash USB port only for CarPlay to work properly.
Sponsored