Sponsored

Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it? Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in?

MartyM

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Wish I could explain the mixed results people are seeing. I'm going into my 3rd week now with many consecutive hours of use and no more crashes using the armrest port. (Prior to this I could reliably cause the CarPlay session to exit by using Waze for ~10 mins, or using the track +/- controls in succession on the steering wheel, and neither of those are issues for me anymore either.)

Here's what I'm using:

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15.2
USB-C to USB-A Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08W2SNQM3
USB-C cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092JR2SV3
Carlinkit Mini Wireless Carplay Adapter CPC200-U2W Mini: https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Wireless-Carplay-Internal-Hardware/dp/B09CFP6LZS
Sponsored

filippa0831

First Name
gmason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler
I, too, have the Carlinkit 3.0 adapter. Works very well for me overall, only had a couple times where I needed to unplug it to restart it and get things going.Definitely worth the price. I'd say that there is an extremely slight lag between when you select something for the change to happen, but not nearly enough to be annoying, imho.
https://carlinkitcarplay.com/products/carlinkit-wireless-adapter-for-factory-carplay

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I, too, have the Carlinkit 3.0 adapter. Works very well for me overall, only had a couple times where I needed to unplug it to restart it and get things going.Definitely worth the price. I'd say that there is an extremely slight lag between when you select something for the change to happen, but not nearly enough to be annoying, imho.
https://carlinkitcarplay.com/products/carlinkit-wireless-adapter-for-factory-carplay
The adapter itself works pretty well, it just doesn't work for most of us in the Center Console USB port. It tends to reboot quite often in the center console but is stable using the front panel USB.

I am waiting on the adapter mentioned earlier to see if it'll help, I've tried almost everything else to no avail.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
The adapter itself works pretty well, it just doesn't work for most of us in the Center Console USB port. It tends to reboot quite often in the center console but is stable using the front panel USB.

I am waiting on the adapter mentioned earlier to see if it'll help, I've tried almost everything else to no avail.
Have you tried re-seating all the radio fuses? Someone on the JT forums said that worked for them.

I plan to try that when its not 6 degrees out.

Reactions: SJP

Sponsored

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Yep I did that first thing when I got the Jeep last year :)
WelL then I guess I wont waste my time with that. I’m gonna have to bite the bullet and go to the dealership and request they replace my usb hub. Im about to pull the trigger on a Stinger radio and I have to have the center usb work as its the only one that will run carplay on that unit.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
WelL then I guess I wont waste my time with that. I’m gonna have to bite the bullet and go to the dealership and request they replace my usb hub. Im about to pull the trigger on a Stinger radio and I have to have the center usb work as its the only one that will run carplay on that unit.
I think others have done that too with no success. I still have childlike faith that this USBA-USBC adapter will work for me :). If not I'm considering running a new wire run from back of head unit to the center console, I really would prefer having the CarLinkIt in the console area and not hanging off the dash.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
So maybe it was luck, or just the finicky nature of the usb but today I got extremely aggravated with Waze (its horribly broken in ios 15.2) and uninstalled it at work. When I left I plugged my phone into the center USB, without the USB-C adapter, and proceeded to drive home 40 minutes without a single issue.

Normally I can make it maybe 10 minutes before the freezing and disconnects start. I didnt have even 1 of those.

Could it somehow be possible that an app is affecting the USB? I cant figure out how that would matter unless waze is drawing more power than most apps and that is affecting the center USB.

I thought someone mentioned that center USB did have slightly less power than the front ports so maybe?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I just got my adapter so I'll try it on my commute today and report back . And yes, Waze is, and has always been, a POS with CarPlay. It so often just locks up, or says "Guest Wazer" when I look at it on my phone when it's messed up. I always have to force close it and relaunch it for it to work right. Sometimes it'll get fixed and work reliably for a week or two (Waze), but then it goes right back to being a POS.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I just got my adapter so I'll try it on my commute today and report back . And yes, Waze is, and has always been, a POS with CarPlay. It so often just locks up, or says "Guest Wazer" when I look at it on my phone when it's messed up. I always have to force close it and relaunch it for it to work right. Sometimes it'll get fixed and work reliably for a week or two (Waze), but then it goes right back to being a POS.
Yeah Im done trying to use it. I tried using an android for my business line a month ago and used android auto and its night and day with waze. It works perfectly on there. Unfortunately I hate carrying 2 phones.

I made it to work this morning without any freezing or issues using the center usb again. Still have Waze uninstalled. I considered reinstalling it and seeing if the issues come back but Im reluctant to mess with anything now.

Edit: Scratch that theory. Problem came back. This is pretty ridiculous.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
It's only been one day, but so far the little adapter thing might be working. I had no issues today on my commute using the center console USB and the USBA>C adapter. Today was pretty cold, but I don't think it's a thermal issue since it worked fine all summer in the blazing heat on the front panel ports.

It's probably too early to say this actually worked, but any other time If I used the center ports the unit would reboot within 5-10 minutes and it was solid both ways today. If I can go a week without any issues then I'll consider this a fix.

tykurez

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe, 2021 JT Willys
It's only been one day, but so far the little adapter thing might be working. I had no issues today on my commute using the center console USB and the USBA>C adapter. Today was pretty cold, but I don't think it's a thermal issue since it worked fine all summer in the blazing heat on the front panel ports.

It's probably too early to say this actually worked, but any other time If I used the center ports the unit would reboot within 5-10 minutes and it was solid both ways today. If I can go a week without any issues then I'll consider this a fix.
Cheap enough it’s worth a try - just ordered those and hopefully it works!

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I don't want to jinx myself, but I just did an hour trip (30 minutes each way) and no disconnects or reboots still. I would have expected numerous reboots before using the center console USB port, so something seems to be helped by this adapter.

No idea why this adapter makes a difference, but it seems to. If I can go a week without seeing any reboots (or very few) I'll be happy to not have the thing hanging off my front panel USB anymore.

TheDukeofLark

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR M/T
Wish I could explain the mixed results people are seeing. I'm going into my 3rd week now with many consecutive hours of use and no more crashes using the armrest port. (Prior to this I could reliably cause the CarPlay session to exit by using Waze for ~10 mins, or using the track +/- controls in succession on the steering wheel, and neither of those are issues for me anymore either.)

Here's what I'm using:

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15.2
USB-C to USB-A Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08W2SNQM3
USB-C cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092JR2SV3
Carlinkit Mini Wireless Carplay Adapter CPC200-U2W Mini: https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Wireless-Carplay-Internal-Hardware/dp/B09CFP6LZS
Seeing this thread at just the right time, I also bought the above list of things (carplay adapter and phone excluded, but mine are actually the exact same.) Then I started wondering if the issue was being solved by the adapter, better dongle placement, or simply by using a better cable. I decided to try a new USB-A to USB-C cable as well, and so far my experience is much better with just the cable. That being said, I know the dongle is also much closer to the front, and is positioned in such a way that the signal wouldn't have to travel through my body, so that might be helping as well. I feel like YMMV on any of these fixes, but they are cheap enough to try.
Sponsored