Sponsored

Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it? Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in?

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport (WTB)
Raise your hand if you are comfortable with a dealer trying to take apart your console, etc. to remedy the USB port not functioning correctly.

(Not meant to be snarky, asking sincerely.)
Sponsored

mopac001

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Sahara Snazzberry
Raise your hand if you are comfortable with a dealer trying to take apart your console, etc. to remedy the USB port not functioning correctly.

(Not meant to be snarky, asking sincerely.)
I have no desire to visit a dealer unless I really think it's an issue they can solve. I've had too many experiences with dealers fixing a problem they KNOW the fix for and leaving other things disconnected or problems with features that worked before the visit that then I have to come back to get corrected. I had a CarPlay disconnect issue very similar with my 2018 Silverado. I lived with it until the warranty was about to end and I had no choice. (Had hoped a firmware update along the line might fix it.) It took the dealership 3 tries to fix the problem and they replaced 3 different modules. It's been flawless since. The problem wound up being the module with the port in it.

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have no desire to visit a dealer unless I really think it's an issue they can solve. I've had too many experiences with dealers fixing a problem they KNOW the fix for and leaving other things disconnected or problems with features that worked before the visit that then I have to come back to get corrected. I had a CarPlay disconnect issue very similar with my 2018 Silverado. I lived with it until the warranty was about to end and I had no choice. (Had hoped a firmware update along the line might fix it.) It took the dealership 3 tries to fix the problem and they replaced 3 different modules. It's been flawless since. The problem wound up being the module with the port in it.

This is exactly my feeling. The only saving grace is that it appears that there might be (haven't used it yet) some extra protection with the way JeepCares here interfaces with the dealership. If that's legit then maybe the expectations are set where if I'm bringing the car in to fix A, B, C... and you don't fix A, B, C, --- and then break D, E, F in the process -- there's going to be consequences.

Otherwise, I can't imagine the disaster that would unfold. The stuff I see on the FB pages about people who bring their JL in for service and come out with every light on the dash lit up... or the people who leave the dealer and the car goes into limp mode and all this other crap.

I've been procrastinating. Because I still live in dream world that someone will contact me and handle this. I can literally see one of the biggest Jeep dealers in my area from my office window (I'm across the street)... and yet I have to jump through hoops. LOL.

Time will tell.

mopac001

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is exactly my feeling. The only saving grace is that it appears that there might be (haven't used it yet) some extra protection with the way JeepCares here interfaces with the dealership. If that's legit then maybe the expectations are set where if I'm bringing the car in to fix A, B, C... and you don't fix A, B, C, --- and then break D, E, F in the process -- there's going to be consequences.

Otherwise, I can't imagine the disaster that would unfold. The stuff I see on the FB pages about people who bring their JL in for service and come out with every light on the dash lit up... or the people who leave the dealer and the car goes into limp mode and all this other crap.

I've been procrastinating. Because I still live in dream world that someone will contact me and handle this. I can literally see one of the biggest Jeep dealers in my area from my office window (I'm across the street)... and yet I have to jump through hoops. LOL.

Time will tell.
Pete - I'm so with you. Jeep Cares sent me a list of the all these things to try that involve my phone and the software version on it or the cable I'm using. But I just scratch my head with all that apparent lack of common sense. If the same phone and same software and same cable are all absolutely flawless for hours and hours (as I've experienced) when in dash USB port and then have hiccups when you plug it into the console USB port - it would sure seem to almost scream WIRE or PORT. I mean that's all that's changed. Heeellllllooooo - common sense please.

The dealer I would be going to once serviced another Chrysler vehicle I had for some problem that I can't remember. What I do remember is getting 2 blocks away after picking it up and finding the gas gauge wasn't functioning. They had it another day to reconnect something they'd disconnecting while servicing the other problem. Picked it up and got less than a block away before seeing that my speedometer was now not functioning. They had it ANOTHER day. Mistakes happen - I get that. But after that first one you'd have thought they would double and triple check. When they didn't it just showed me they didn't give a shit.

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pete - I'm so with you. Jeep Cares sent me a list of the all these things to try that involve my phone and the software version on it or the cable I'm using. But I just scratch my head with all that apparent lack of common sense. If the same phone and same software and same cable are all absolutely flawless for hours and hours (as I've experienced) when in dash USB port and then have hiccups when you plug it into the console USB port - it would sure seem to almost scream WIRE or PORT. I mean that's all that's changed. Heeellllllooooo - common sense please.

The dealer I would be going to once serviced another Chrysler vehicle I had for some problem that I can't remember. What I do remember is getting 2 blocks away after picking it up and finding the gas gauge wasn't functioning. They had it another day to reconnect something they'd disconnecting while servicing the other problem. Picked it up and got less than a block away before seeing that my speedometer was now not functioning. They had it ANOTHER day. Mistakes happen - I get that. But after that first one you'd have thought they would double and triple check. When they didn't it just showed me they didn't give a shit.

That about sums it up. Then the entire time you're thinking, "Where will the grease mark be on the seat" or "Are they going to gouge out the leather on the steering wheel" or... then if you point it out and they try to "fix" it - they will ruin something else. Maybe I just have a shitty outlook, but that's how it almost always plays out for me.

Or... now... here's my most current question. Right now I have the CarLinkIt mounted behind the dash with that kicking-cool mod. Works flawlessly. My wife and I can get in the truck, it sees both our phones and I touch the one I want to use.

I'd wager if I bring the truck to the dealer with that installed back there, they'll find some stupid way to tell me that is the reason for the problem. LOL. No... dummies... it's mount back there because the console USB doesn't work. Why would I go through the trouble if the console worked?!?!?! LOL.

I still haven't gone to get the turn signal cancel issue fixed. I don't want to think of the multitude of crap that they can break doing that job.

The reverse camera lines... that I am giving up on. They won't push the update. I figure I'll wait and then bring it. I'm certain the hinges will start to peel shortly. So that'll be a treat.

Sponsored

mopac001

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That about sums it up. Then the entire time you're thinking, "Where will the grease mark be on the seat" or "Are they going to gouge out the leather on the steering wheel" or... then if you point it out and they try to "fix" it - they will ruin something else. Maybe I just have a shitty outlook, but that's how it almost always plays out for me.

Or... now... here's my most current question. Right now I have the CarLinkIt mounted behind the dash with that kicking-cool mod. Works flawlessly. My wife and I can get in the truck, it sees both our phones and I touch the one I want to use.

I'd wager if I bring the truck to the dealer with that installed back there, they'll find some stupid way to tell me that is the reason for the problem. LOL. No... dummies... it's mount back there because the console USB doesn't work. Why would I go through the trouble if the console worked?!?!?! LOL.

I still haven't gone to get the turn signal cancel issue fixed. I don't want to think of the multitude of crap that they can break doing that job.

The reverse camera lines... that I am giving up on. They won't push the update. I figure I'll wait and then bring it. I'm certain the hinges will start to peel shortly. So that'll be a treat.
Pete - can you give me the link to the CarLinkit mod mounting it behind the dash? That sounds like something I want to file and look at doing once the bumper to bumper is up.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I still think this is part of the issue: Note the voltage at front panel is 5.1v, and at center console it's 4.9v.

Jeep Wrangler JL Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it?  Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in? IMG_3947

Jeep Wrangler JL Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it?  Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in? IMG_3949

Lightguy

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Xtreme Recon Sting Grey
I have an August 2021 build date Rubicon Unlimited 8.4 head unit same issue with USB2 (Console USB). Drops periodically with Ottocast V2 wireless CarPlay dongle, iPhone 11Pro Running Beta 15.2 - definitely a USB Uconnect hardware issue.

mopac001

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have an August 2021 build date Rubicon Unlimited 8.4 head unit same issue with USB2 (Console USB). Drops periodically with Ottocast V2 wireless CarPlay dongle, iPhone 11Pro Running Beta 15.2 - definitely a USB Uconnect hardware issue.
Have you tried it in the dash media center USB1 and found it rock solid? And have you confirmed the same periodic drops if you connect your phone wired to USB2 (console)? This has been my experience. The dongle doesn't matter. Wired or dongle is rock solid using USB1 and wired or dongle it's the exact same intermittent issue using USB2. I've played with it enough to figure out that if I'm using any sort of music from my iPhone (Apple Music, Radioplayer, myTuner Radio etc) and even Apple Maps for directions at the same time it's still rock solid in USB2. But if I try to dictate an iMessage or have a phone call that's when I'll get the disconnect. Sometimes it's almost immediately into a call or on the first iMessage I dictate to Siri and sometimes I can go a few minutes before the disconnect happens. And it ALWAYS reconnects after 30 seconds or so. The calls don't drop either. So it's not the iPhone with the problem.

Sponsored

JMGT25

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Ever since I got my iphone 13 pro, the center console USB has been giving me problems with Carplay. The odd thing is that the phone continues to charge, but Carplay won't engage.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Today I tried plugging into the center console USB for the first time and running CarPlay off of that. Probably about 15 minutes into the trip CarPlay stopped working but the phone kept charging. Never had any issues with the dash USB port.

JMGT25

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Today I tried plugging into the center console USB for the first time and running CarPlay off of that. Probably about 15 minutes into the trip CarPlay stopped working but the phone kept charging. Never had any issues with the dash USB port.
I am having the same exact issue

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
I still think this is part of the issue: Note the voltage at front panel is 5.1v, and at center console it's 4.9v.
Jeep Wrangler JL Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it?  Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in? IMG_3949
I didn't take a picture, but my USB meter registered 5.10vdc at the front panel at 5.06vdc at the center console. 2021 build. Oddly enough, I have the most problem when I use Apple official cables. My third parties fair better as long as they're not worn.
Sponsored