Sponsored

Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it? Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing concerns with your Uconnect system recently. If you'd like us to check in on your software status or look into your concerns further, please don't hesitate to send us a private message with details and your VIN!

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Sponsored

dblankenbaker

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of old Jeeps. JLURD ordered 5/7.
I velcroed mine to the side of the console. It has been rock solid ( 🤞🤞... I've only had my Jeep for a month).
Four weeks after I posted this, my CarPlay doggle started rebooting every couple minutes. :(

Just did the behind the dash mod. Got everything off Amazon...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-jl-car-play-project.54033/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I2ZIRVE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K86NBGQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W953AZ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport (WTB)
Do you, by chance, know the firmware version you have? Some people say that they update fixes the issue in the console. JeepCares won't do the update for me OTA and is forcing me to go the dealer... so I've been waiting because I already know that the dealer visit is going to be a disaster, even with Jeep Corporate backing me.

Now... if you tell me that the update was done and you STILL have the reboot problem, I'll do the dash deal. I already have the parts. Just been putting off because I secretly hope that the same company that can't keep paint from peeling off hinges is going to get this right. LOL.

dblankenbaker

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you, by chance, know the firmware version you have? Some people say that they update fixes the issue in the console.
I don't.... it doesn't show up under System Information. :(

FWIW, My Jeep was built in May 2021, and the uconnect website says my "VEHICLE IS UP TO DATE." I would be a little leery of ppl saying an update fixed the issue. I drove my Jeep ~500 miles before the issue popped up.

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. We have similar build dates... although my resetting issue has been the same from the start. I get the same info from the update site, but even Jeep admits that the site isn't legit.

Sponsored

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How was taking off the dash panel? Easy?

dblankenbaker

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How was taking off the dash panel? Easy?
I had previously removed the dash panel to install a leather dash, so it was easy. ;)

The first time is scary. Watch the first 5 mins of this video and do what they do (use tape, plastic tools, and PULL don't pry)...

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I have an appointment this Friday to get a TSB done on my 7" UConnect. I am not sure it will actually help with the USB issue but figure it can't hurt either. If it actually helps the issue I'll let everyone know :)

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I don't.... it doesn't show up under System Information. :(

FWIW, My Jeep was built in May 2021, and the uconnect website says my "VEHICLE IS UP TO DATE." I would be a little leery of ppl saying an update fixed the issue. I drove my Jeep ~500 miles before the issue popped up.
Press and hold the driver's side temp up and temp down buttons for about 10 seconds, it'll take you to an Engineering screen with the firmware version on it. At least on the 7" unit this is how I got mine.

dblankenbaker

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Press and hold the driver's side temp up and temp down buttons for about 10 seconds, it'll take you to an Engineering screen with the firmware version on it. At least on the 7" unit this is how I got mine.
I had to hold down temp up and down + the front defrost button (UConnect 8.4)...

Jeep Wrangler JL Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it?  Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in? tempImagefZuxQX
Jeep Wrangler JL Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it?  Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in? tempImage2YZK0j

Sponsored

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Good to see I'm not alone.

I also have the CarLinIt... 2021 JL Freedom, 8.4" -- the thing is almost useless in the center console.

Question:
Does anyone know if the latest Uconnect update fixes the center console USB being crappy?

Thanks,
Pete
I actually jumped the gun and said on the forum a couple of weeks ago that the latest update did fix the wonky center console, but it didn't. What happened was instead of it shutting off about 10 minutes in, it just froze my screen (music kept on), but had to reboot to get the screen to react again, then did the same thing all over again after 10 minutes.

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had to hold down temp up and down + the front defrost button (UConnect 8.4)...

Jeep Wrangler JL Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it?  Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in? IMG_3969
Jeep Wrangler JL Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it?  Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in? IMG_3969
I actually jumped the gun and said on the forum a couple of weeks ago that the latest update did fix the wonky center console, but it didn't. What happened was instead of it shutting off about 10 minutes in, it just froze my screen (music kept on), but had to reboot to get the screen to react again, then did the same thing all over again after 10 minutes.
This is what temp up/down gets on mine, an Engineering screen?

Yeah... My unit is similar as far as firmware...

Now that I heard back from the other guy, I'm pretty certain that the update won't fix anything except maybe the rear-camera lines.

I wish I researched better before buying. Too much money for low-quality product and support.

Now I understand why people sell them with low miles. LOL.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Do you, by chance, know the firmware version you have? Some people say that they update fixes the issue in the console. JeepCares won't do the update for me OTA and is forcing me to go the dealer... so I've been waiting because I already know that the dealer visit is going to be a disaster, even with Jeep Corporate backing me.

Now... if you tell me that the update was done and you STILL have the reboot problem, I'll do the dash deal. I already have the parts. Just been putting off because I secretly hope that the same company that can't keep paint from peeling off hinges is going to get this right. LOL.
Hi there--

We're disheartened to hear about the concerns you have been experiencing recently. If you'd like us to look into this for you, feel free to send our team a private message with your VIN and any additional details that would be helpful for us to know.

We want to make sure your situations are properly taken care of.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi there--

We're disheartened to hear about the concerns you have been experiencing recently. If you'd like us to look into this for you, feel free to send our team a private message with your VIN and any additional details that would be helpful for us to know.

We want to make sure your situations are properly taken care of.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
We already went down that path. I'll play it out.

Here's how it goes.

Go to the dealer, and let them try to fix it. Make the appointment far out enough so that you can message JeepCares so that Corporate can let the dealer know (hopefully) that the vehicle owner doesn't want the dealer to ruin the vehicle even more.

Fast forward: My understanding is that the dealer will not be able to actually fix the center console issue and will say that the console USB is only for charging...

You MIGHT be able to get an update for your 8.4, but that might or might not break something else.

Still need to go to the dealer to try and let them fix the reverse camera lines that disappear.

Sorry for the negative-nelly on all of this, but let's face... some people are fine paying $40k+ for a vehicle with features that don't work. And that's great for them.

Others. No.
Sponsored