Sponsored

Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it? Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in?

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport (WTB)
Good to see I'm not alone.

I also have the CarLinIt... 2021 JL Freedom, 8.4" -- the thing is almost useless in the center console.

Question:
Does anyone know if the latest Uconnect update fixes the center console USB being crappy?

Thanks,
Pete
Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Good to see I'm not alone.

I also have the CarLinIt... 2021 JL Freedom, 8.4" -- the thing is almost useless in the center console.

Question:
Does anyone know if the latest Uconnect update fixes the center console USB being crappy?

Thanks,
Pete
I have the 7" display so I don't think there's any updates for mine. I have a USB voltage/amp plugin thing that if I can find it will try the front panel vs the center to see if I see anything there that might explain it.

My theory is that the voltage and/or current isn't quite up to spec in the center console. If you're using a phone, the battery masks that issue as it has plenty of reserve power. The CarLinkit has no battery so if the voltage or current drops too much it just reboots.

Thankfully it's solid in the front panel but I'd really like to not have it sitting out up there if I can somehow make the center console USB port work better.

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! I'd be curious to know the voltage of the USB ports. Smart idea.

Have you seen the modification that allows you to mount it behind the media ports?

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
According to their website, the CarLinkIt unit itself only needs 5V at 1-2.1A. I would think the USB ports are outputting at least that. Interested to see what you find out @Chupacabra

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
Great question! I have to check. Actually forgot about it. Just been using the front console & got use to it.

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
OK, found my USB voltage tester. The front panel reads 5.1v and the CarLinkIt pulls .17-.20 amps while I'm streaming music to it:

Jeep Wrangler JL Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it?  Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in? IMG_3947

Jeep Wrangler JL Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it?  Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in? IMG_3948

Unfortunately the way this plugs in I had to use a USB extension cable in the enter console, so it reads 4.88-4.90 volts in the center console using the extension cable. The amps were the same, wavering between .17 and .20 amps.

Jeep Wrangler JL Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it?  Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in? IMG_3949

To be fair, I then put the USB extension cable on the front panel and re-read the voltage and it dropped it to right around 5.0v. So the USB extension cable is dropping some voltage, but there's still at least a 0.1v drop in the center console vs the front panel it would seem.

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's pretty interesting. Do you think it's enough to be an issue?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
That's pretty interesting. Do you think it's enough to be an issue?
I guess it depends on how sensitive the CarLinkit is to the voltage. If my USB extension cable is sapping 0.1 v, then it is still putting out 5v at the plug in the center console which is within the USB spec. However, the front panel is putting out more voltage, so it's possible that the CarLinkIt is really that picky about the voltage.

I've tried numerous cables in the center console too, thinking maybe a higher quality cable wouldn't be as prone to whatever the issue that makes it drop but nothing has made any improvement.

The USB voltage thing I have alternates between voltage and current every 5 seconds or so. I was thinking I'd record the screen on the voltage tester while it's in the center console and wait for it to reboot to see if there was a noticeable voltage or current drop when this happens. Typically it reboots within the first 10 minutes of a drive.

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm wondering if it's something as simple as the plug input in the console is crappy. It seems if you "jiggle" it - it disconnects... But that's just a wild guess.

I just ordered the stuff to do the "behind the dash" modification and be done with it. I love the idea of the wireless carplay, but I can't stand the BS.

dblankenbaker

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of old Jeeps. JLURD ordered 5/7.
I'm wondering if it's something as simple as the plug input in the console is crappy. It seems if you "jiggle" it - it disconnects... But that's just a wild guess.
I velcroed mine to the side of the console. It has been rock solid ( 🤞🤞... I've only had my Jeep for a month).

Jeep Wrangler JL Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it?  Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in? tempImageCxFvc7
Jeep Wrangler JL Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it?  Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in? tempImagePpXCVa

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I velcroed mine to the side of the console. It has been rock solid ( I've only had my Jeep for a month).
I velcroed mine too but it still reboots randomly. The velcro holds it in place pretty tight and should keep the cord from jiggling about too much. Yours look different than mine though, mine has a removable USB cable and a green/red power LED On the face.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
So I tried going to the Carlinkit admin page (192.168.50.2) while the phone was connected in the car, and it said there was a firmware update. I applied it, rebooted and then it said there was another update.

So I did two firmware updates, the last one said VER:2021.07.05.2308. That is also the latest on this Github firmware dump site: https://github.com/ludwig-v/wireless-carplay-dongle-reverse-engineering/tree/master/Firmware

I have relocated the CarLinkit to the center console and will see if perhaps the firmware updates made any difference at all in the reboot behavior. It's a long shot but I'm willing to give it a try :)

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The velcro one is the 1.0 version (the one with the removable cord is 2.0) -- I also have the 2.0...

I also had the same experience with the double upgrade scenario. Nothing changed, still unstable.

Lastly, I also have my 2.0 velco'ed.

When I have time I'm doing the behind the dash mod. The total parts were about $15. No brainer IMHO.

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can confirm that latest July firmware update on the 2.0 version does not help at all with reboots in center console USB port. I was thinking it might have helped but about the 10 minute mark it rebooted.
Yup. I had hoped that the Uconnect update (the one that deals with the backup camera line) would solve the problem, but I can't get @JeepCares to hook me up...
Sponsored