Sponsored

Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it? Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in?

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I did some experiments today. I keep getting disconnects on my iPhone 13 Pro Max in the center console. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't have any problems with my iPhone XS Max for the last 6 months. Using the same cord, I plugged into the front panel and didn't have any issues. Went back to the center console using the same cable and the issues have persisted.

So I can't really blame this on Jeep or the UConnect (as it worked fine before updating my phone). It's either an iOS 15 or iPhone 13 issue. Others with iPhone 13s have been having similar issues and some were resolved turning off the equalizer on the phone, but that isn't an issue for me.
At this point I get the strong impression this is beyond the phone, OS, or cable level. There's been enough reports on here spanning different phones from 6 to 13 (or even devices like Carlinkit), cables that are oem or not, oses, and every other random variable involving the consumer end. All of us have the exact same symptom with USB2 and but USB1 is perfect. Even my dealer told me USB2 was "just for charging" so when I asked how to use carplay so I think it's happening to a lot of people. A guy above got the media console replaced and in another thread they took apart the console and tightened all the connections and it still didn't work long term.

I’m thinking maybe it has something to do with the “length” of the wire going from the center console USB to the stereo unit in the dash. It can handle a slow charge but can’t handle all the “data” transferred that length.
Wish I knew more hardware electronics. I thought cable length wouldn't be a huge issue since I thought lightning is is a pretty complicated system compared to others..but certainly the connection from usb2 could be different than usb1, maybe usb1 is special and connects somewhere different and more direct? Etc
Sponsored

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport (WTB)
I’m thinking maybe it has something to do with the “length” of the wire going from the center console USB to the stereo unit in the dash. It can handle a slow charge but can’t handle all the “data” transferred that length.
I think it is related to the plug that is in the console. (or where that wire plugs into the hub at the dash). I do know that Jeep doesn't really care about much of the issue. They can't even get the hinges to not shed paint. LOL.

Mr. Redhawk

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Hello again,

If you've ensured that both your mobile device and Uconnect systems are fully up to date, you've walked through the steps of properly re-enabling Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and the concerns have persisted after performing the final reboot, please send us a private message.

We'd like to offer support alongside any dealership visits so we can ensure that this gets properly resolved.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Has the Android Uconnect is been resolved?

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR

jwhite77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Wrangler
I've had an issue with CarPlay (hard wired) in the center console for the last several months. It worked great for almost a year before that. I got a new iPhone 13 during this time, but it works fine in the front USB, so its not iPhone hardware or USB cables. I got the UConnect update during this time and the dealer tear into my center console due to a 4wd cable, so its hard for me to narrow down the cause.

It would be really nice to have a public excel file that everyone can input firmware version and whether its always has been bad (or when it started occurring). Just a way to correlate all the data to help narrow down the issue. This is really what Jeep should be doing.

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
(Disclaimer: I haven't read the entire thread.)

I use the AAWireless device for wireless Android Auto, and have found that there's quite a difference in performance if the AAWireless device is mounted in the front of the center console vs. the rear. There seems to be just enough interference between those two mounting locations that I permanently mounted my device to the inside front wall of the console.

Also, it's fairly easy to remove and relocate the usb port in the console entirely (not the rear seat accessible ones, just the one inside of the center console). If desired, you would simply remove two screws under the console's lid (when open), then pop off the rear panel that holds the AC/Vents. There are a few other screws that need to be removed to access the air vent tubes, if space is too tight, though all screws/components pop in/out easily. Just know that the cable connecting the inner console's USB ports to the system is pretty short. A high-end USB extension cable does work.

The reason I mention removing the USB port is that you could also try re-routing the usb port under the console, installing your device discretely and much closer to the head unit. When my phone was hardwired, that's how I handled the cabling so that no cables had to permanently hang out of the front USB ports.

Further, there are two usb (mini Type B) ports on the back of the radio itself, and it is possible to plug a usb cable directly into the radio (sacrificing rear outlets). Sorry, don't recall which is which, but it's easy to figure out which of them connects to the front/rear ports.

Bottom line is that there's a bit of trial and error when installing all things Bluetooth/WiFi related in vehicles, especially with as much electrical/mechanical frequency interference that exists.

Sorry if this, or any combination of this was already discussed. Good luck!

JMGT25

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
I've had an issue with CarPlay (hard wired) in the center console for the last several months. It worked great for almost a year before that. I got a new iPhone 13 during this time, but it works fine in the front USB, so its not iPhone hardware or USB cables. I got the UConnect update during this time and the dealer tear into my center console due to a 4wd cable, so its hard for me to narrow down the cause.

It would be really nice to have a public excel file that everyone can input firmware version and whether its always has been bad (or when it started occurring). Just a way to correlate all the data to help narrow down the issue. This is really what Jeep should be doing.
My issues also started when I got iPhone 13 Pro. The center console never works with carplay anymore, its really frustrating. I will try the front but it looks so much messier.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I think you are probably right. Not sure if we can replace that cable with a higher quality/better shielded/larger gauge wire or not but if so that would be worth a shot I suppose.

jwhite77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Wrangler
I think you are probably right. Not sure if we can replace that cable with a higher quality/better shielded/larger gauge wire or not but if so that would be worth a shot I suppose.
This is what I plan on trying whenever I get a chance. Run a completely different wire to the center console.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
This is what I plan on trying whenever I get a chance. Run a completely different wire to the center console.
So I thought someone mentioned there are a few USB outputs on the back of the radio? I have the 7" version and no rear seat USBs. If there are "Spare" USB outputs on this radio, if I knew what plug size they were I'd get the highest quality cable I could find and run it to the console and see if that changes anything.

Sponsored

MartyM

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I don't know if anyone else noticed this thread over in the Gladiator forums...

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/convert-the-center-console-usb-a-to-a-usb-c.48415/

The short story is that the OP used a USB-C to USB-A adapter in the armrest along with an Apple USB-C cable for his iPhone, and they reported that the chronic disconnects stopped.

On a longshot, I purchased the adapter he cited (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08W2SNQM3) along with a set of short USB-C cords (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092JR2SV3) and attached my Carlinkit wireless adapter via one of the USB-C cables to the adapter in my center armrest.

I've been running for 2 weeks now (including hours using Apple and Google maps, music, and phone calls) with no disconnects. I had been hard pressed to go 15 minutes without a disconnect using the USB-A connection in the armrest.

I honestly don't understand why this would fix the problem - I don't think the adapter is an active component, but at least in my case (a 2021 Wrangler Sport S), the USB-C adapter appears to isolate the iPhone or Carlinkit adapter from whatever they don't like on that USB-A hub.

YMMV. I was just happy to get that adapter off the dash port and working in the armrest.

Last edited:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
That little adapter has the right circuit to support Apple MagSafe so it might be what's making this all work. It could be reconstructing the signals to make the longer run work ok.

Will also test this out!

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Thanks @MartyM

I just ordered that same USB adapter and some short USB-C cables (the ones you linked have a long lead time now). I also have some quality longer USB-cablest to try as well. Like you I have a 2021 Sport S so if this fixes it I will be ecstatic.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
As much as I'd want a USB-C adapter to work, it sounds unlikely... I used to plug my iPhone 12 into USB-A in my old car and it worked for a year straight. I was also running USB-A straight to the iPhone 12 from the dash input on the Jeep with no issue before using Carlinkit.
Sponsored