Sponsored

Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it? Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in?

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport (WTB)
That’s definitely interesting. I don’t think it explains people getting drops when using the wireless carplay adapter in the center console rather than the dash but maybe that thing needs more power too?
No. And my wife's 7 and my son's 6 both do it also.
Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
That’s definitely interesting. I don’t think it explains people getting drops when using the wireless carplay adapter in the center console rather than the dash but maybe that thing needs more power too?
The wireless adapters may be more sensitive to a voltage drop as well. They have no battery on-board to smooth out power glitches. When I measured mine it was a few tenths of a volt lower at the center console. My meter only showed the CarLinkIt pulling about 0.2 amps, so not a huge draw.

I really wish we could find a solution because I'd MUCH rather have that adapter in the center console than in the dash ports.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I went to a Jeep meetup today and mentioned to a guy how I was having issues with my phone and the center console USB. He was confused and said he's never had an issue; he's got a 2020. Is this just a 2021 build issue?
I have a 2020, I use the center console often, android auto. In fact, I just took it on a week long trip to my parents house and back, driving about 12 hours a day without issue.

Lightguy

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Xtreme Recon Sting Grey
OK...this is interesting. I tested Apple cable for a week & no issues. I use an Ottocast U2-One & would have disconnects if used in the centre console that made it almost unusable (works perfect in the dash USB). It has a removable USB-C to USB cable. I swopped out the cable it came with to a heavier (3 x as thick) USB-C to USB cable & have been using it almost a week with no disconnects! So far works perfect.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
OK...this is interesting. I tested Apple cable for a week & no issues. I use an Ottocast U2-One & would have disconnects if used in the centre console that made it almost unusable (works perfect in the dash USB). It has a removable USB-C to USB cable. I swopped out the cable it came with to a heavier (3 x as thick) USB-C to USB cable & have been using it almost a week with no disconnects! So far works perfect.
Yeah for S&G I've been using the center console cable with an Apple cord while driving to work this week and it has been perfect. It's only a 15 minute drive though. The CarLinkIt will disconnect multiple times in that drive if I use the center console USB port.

Sponsored

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
The wireless adapters may be more sensitive to a voltage drop as well. They have no battery on-board to smooth out power glitches. When I measured mine it was a few tenths of a volt lower at the center console. My meter only showed the CarLinkIt pulling about 0.2 amps, so not a huge draw.

I really wish we could find a solution because I'd MUCH rather have that adapter in the center console than in the dash ports.
I did some experiments today. I keep getting disconnects on my iPhone 13 Pro Max in the center console. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't have any problems with my iPhone XS Max for the last 6 months. Using the same cord, I plugged into the front panel and didn't have any issues. Went back to the center console using the same cable and the issues have persisted.

So I can't really blame this on Jeep or the UConnect (as it worked fine before updating my phone). It's either an iOS 15 or iPhone 13 issue. Others with iPhone 13s have been having similar issues and some were resolved turning off the equalizer on the phone, but that isn't an issue for me.

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ended up selling my JL for more than I paid including tax, tags, etc.

I feel bad... fun truck. But the quality is terrible, and the support is worse. It was a fun adventure. But I don't think it's a good fit for me.

Hope this helps others out! I'll be selling a bunch of stuff (car seat covers, arm rest covers, etc... over in the "For Sale" area when I get some time.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I ended up selling my JL for more than I paid including tax, tags, etc.

I feel bad... fun truck. But the quality is terrible, and the support is worse. It was a fun adventure. But I don't think it's a good fit for me.

Hope this helps others out! I'll be selling a bunch of stuff (car seat covers, arm rest covers, etc... over in the "For Sale" area when I get some time.
Us Jeep fanboys gloss over a lot of seriously shitty service and bad quality control because we love our Jeep's and doing Jeep stuff with them!

No different than the Tesla fans and other niche markets like Harleys and such.

A lifestyle choice; and not a product quality choice.

Glad you got out with a bit of profit.

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Us Jeep fanboys gloss over a lot of seriously shitty service and bad quality control because we love our Jeep's and doing Jeep stuff with them!

No different than the Tesla fans and other niche markets like Harleys and such.

A lifestyle choice; and not a product quality choice.

Glad you got out with a bit of profit.
I want a Gladiator Mojave in the worse way.... but $50k for all those bugs. I dunno if I can stomach it.

Sponsored

RubiGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
so I’ve been on a journey with my dealership to try and figure this out.

My Apple CarPlay has been disconnecting on USB 2, however it still charges after CarPlay disconnects.

- I’m using a new official Apple USB cable
- I bought an iPhone 12 Pro Max 6 months ago, so it’s a new phone
- USB 1 doesn’t seem to have this issue

The dealership replaced the media hub in the Jeep, which didn’t resolve the issue.

I brought it back in and the dealership said that due to vibrations or bumps, the connection is getting a little loose to the phone .. However, it’s a tight connection.

Coronado

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Plugged a “CarLinkIt” (for wireless CarPlay) into center console USB and connection/power has been solid. For whatever reason, this particular USB is flakey; however, it will provide stable power to a CarLinkIt or similar device which in-turns provides wireless CarPlay. If I remote start Jeep, wireless CarPlay is displayed on head-unit upon closing door. Pretty cool tech and thus far 100% stable/no drops/no disconnects. Highly recommend 👍

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Plugged a “CarLinkIt” (for wireless CarPlay) into center console USB and connection/power has been solid. For whatever reason, this particular USB is flakey; however, it will provide stable power to a CarLinkIt or similar device which in-turns provides wireless CarPlay. If I remote start Jeep, wireless CarPlay is displayed on head-unit upon closing door. Pretty cool tech and thus far 100% stable/no drops/no disconnects. Highly recommend 👍
My CarLinkIt won't work for more than 5-10 minutes in center console USB before it reboots. It's rock solid up front though.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
so I’ve been on a journey with my dealership to try and figure this out.

My Apple CarPlay has been disconnecting on USB 2, however it still charges after CarPlay disconnects.

- I’m using a new official Apple USB cable
- I bought an iPhone 12 Pro Max 6 months ago, so it’s a new phone
- USB 1 doesn’t seem to have this issue

The dealership replaced the media hub in the Jeep, which didn’t resolve the issue.

I brought it back in and the dealership said that due to vibrations or bumps, the connection is getting a little loose to the phone .. However, it’s a tight connection.
That's a pretty interesting data point on replacing the whole hub and it not helping. Wonder if either the hubs themselves are defective or maybe something farther along the line.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
That's a pretty interesting data point on replacing the whole hub and it not helping. Wonder if either the hubs themselves are defective or maybe something farther along the line.
I’m thinking maybe it has something to do with the “length” of the wire going from the center console USB to the stereo unit in the dash. It can handle a slow charge but can’t handle all the “data” transferred that length.
Sponsored