Sponsored

Center Console USB Wonky -- we know that... however... does the latest Uconnect update fix it? Anyone who has gotten the newest update report in?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
It's been almost a week now and I've had NO issues at all in the center console using this USB A>C adapter. Not sure why it works, maybe a tiny capacitor in there that smoothes out the power, I have no idea.

In any case, it has seemingly fixed the issue for me anyway and I can have my CarLinkIt velcroed onto the side of the center console out of the way. My front panel is nice and clean again without the cord hanging out. Hopefully it continues to work well!
Sponsored

melman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I love this forum. I forgot I had a USB A extender. So I plugged it into the center console and then plug in my CARPLAY2AIR adapter and now it doest cut out every 5 seconds and I just took a hour drive with no interruption ! I hated plugging it into the dash USB port.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Damn...I would like to try the adapter thing but I now have my Tuffy gun safe in my center console...uggh. First world problems.

tykurez

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe, 2021 JT Willys
Wish I could explain the mixed results people are seeing. I'm going into my 3rd week now with many consecutive hours of use and no more crashes using the armrest port. (Prior to this I could reliably cause the CarPlay session to exit by using Waze for ~10 mins, or using the track +/- controls in succession on the steering wheel, and neither of those are issues for me anymore either.)

Here's what I'm using:

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15.2
USB-C to USB-A Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08W2SNQM3
USB-C cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092JR2SV3
Carlinkit Mini Wireless Carplay Adapter CPC200-U2W Mini: https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Wireless-Carplay-Internal-Hardware/dp/B09CFP6LZS
Reporting in after a week and this did the trick - no drops!

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Ok enough reports have come in saying this adapter works to where I have to try it now. Just ordered

Sponsored

jorgev8

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
I don't know if anyone else noticed this thread over in the Gladiator forums...

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/convert-the-center-console-usb-a-to-a-usb-c.48415/

The short story is that the OP used a USB-C to USB-A adapter in the armrest along with an Apple USB-C cable for his iPhone, and they reported that the chronic disconnects stopped.

On a longshot, I purchased the adapter he cited (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08W2SNQM3) along with a set of short USB-C cords (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092JR2SV3) and attached my Carlinkit wireless adapter via one of the USB-C cables to the adapter in my center armrest.

I've been running for 2 weeks now (including hours using Apple and Google maps, music, and phone calls) with no disconnects. I had been hard pressed to go 15 minutes without a disconnect using the USB-A connection in the armrest.

I honestly don't understand why this would fix the problem - I don't think the adapter is an active component, but at least in my case (a 2021 Wrangler Sport S), the USB-C adapter appears to isolate the iPhone or Carlinkit adapter from whatever they don't like on that USB-A hub.

YMMV. I was just happy to get that adapter off the dash port and working in the armrest.
I have been running the set up you suggested now for 3 weeks and have not had any issues, any drops or any disconnections at all. I have a 2021 Rubicon with the 8.4 inch screen and using the iPhone 13 Max Pro. Thank you for the tip, it works.

KCRazorback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
For those of you that are getting this to work consistently with the adapter, can you confirm which Carplay unit you are using. I haven't purchased one yet and there seem to be a lot of variations. I want to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
For those of you that are getting this to work consistently with the adapter, can you confirm which Carplay unit you are using. I haven't purchased one yet and there seem to be a lot of variations. I want to eliminate as many variables as possible.
I am using this one and it's still working perfectly in center console USB using the adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FG2XRBP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

CarLinkit 3.0. I also got one for my wife from LightInTheBox before Christmas for a great price, not sure if they still have them. Took a while to ship it, but it looks just like the one from Amazon.

KCRazorback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR

Sponsored

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I finally got around to putting the adapter in my center console today and plugging the Carlinkit into that. I didn't do any long drives, just about 15 minutes, but so far no drops at all. With my phone plugged straight into the console I used to get drops in that amount of time. I'll continue to monitor it.

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
I thought the latest update would fix it...but sadly no. Wasted my time and installed it in the center console. Now I'm using the USB-C instead and have zero drop issues. Too bad...neat in concept, terrible in execution. Just dropped tons (I have a console safe, so that could be part of the problem) and connecting was a serious pain in the rear daily. At any rate, wired is just fine I guess and at least far more reliable. Cheers.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Drove for about half an hour today with the adapter in the center console, no drops. I'm starting to become a believer

KCRazorback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I receive an "Accessory May Not Be Supported" error about half of the time when I try to connect. This occasionally happens with the media interface (USB-1) as well, so back to the drawing board for me.
Sponsored