Center Console USB does not work with an Apple phone 2021 Jeep Wrangler

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I'd say it's just an incompatibility problem between Jeep and Apple software.
If Apple keep updating iOS, then Jeep need to keep updating to match.

You can test this. Plug in some other device to your USB port and check that the device is charging/working.
Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I'd say it's just an incompatibility problem between Jeep and Apple software.
If Apple keep updating iOS, then Jeep need to keep updating to match.

I'd like to use USB port in the armrest console too, but I've switched to the Media hub on the dash console and it works a dream. I just have to ignore the cable I can see.
Iā€˜d say we can count on Apple continuing to update iOS, just as Microsoft continues to push ā€œsecurity patchesā€ and other updates in my workplace. Managing compatibility problems is probably the #1 job of our IT team at work. Microsoft updates get pushed out automatically, often monthly or more frequently, causing various other programs to freeze or lose functionality. The IT folks scramble to find a work-around, and then we start the whole process over the next week/month.

Most of the programs we use are evolving quickly and independently, and theyā€™re often pushed out prior to fully testing compatibility, so I donā€™t see this problem going away anytime soon.

For me, setting all of my vehicles up with the mounts and chargers I described above has been the perfect solution, because Bluetooth functionality has never been disrupted, and I donā€™t need to have my phones charging or sending data from a location I canā€™t see. I also hate to have visible/hanging/loose wires running anywhere I can see them, so charging ports have lost their appeal/value, whether or not they are compatible. The only use my USB ports get now is charging auxiliary batteries and devices.

I have to carry two phones, so I set my vehicles up with two multi-fitting charging mounts and never have to worry about this stuff again. Fortunately, the folding windshield makes Jeep wranglers the easiest vehicles in the world to set up, even without accessory switches. Buy a few parts, spend an hour installing them, and never worry about this stuff again.

Wonder

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR (aka Juno) - Hydro Blue
Iā€˜d say we can count on Apple continuing to update iOS, just as Microsoft continues to push ā€œsecurity patchesā€ and other updates in my workplace. Managing compatibility problems is probably the #1 job of our IT team at work. Microsoft updates get pushed out automatically, often monthly or more frequently, causing various other programs to freeze or lose functionality. The IT folks scramble to find a work-around, and then we start the whole process over the next week/month.

Most of the programs we use are evolving quickly and independently, and theyā€™re often pushed out prior to fully testing compatibility, so I donā€™t see this problem going away anytime soon.

For me, setting all of my vehicles up with the mounts and chargers I described above has been the perfect solution, because Bluetooth functionality has never been disrupted, and I donā€™t need to have my phones charging or sending data from a location I canā€™t see. I also hate to have visible/hanging/loose wires running anywhere I can see them, so charging ports have lost their appeal/value, whether or not they are compatible. The only use my USB ports get now is charging auxiliary batteries and devices.

I have to carry two phones, so I set my vehicles up with two multi-fitting charging mounts and never have to worry about this stuff again. Fortunately, the folding windshield makes Jeep wranglers the easiest vehicles in the world to set up, even without accessory switches. Buy a few parts, spend an hour installing them, and never worry about this stuff again.
Unfortunately, Bluetooth doesn't give me anywhere near the sound quality that plugging in/Carplay does, and with a 9 speaker Alpine system installed, I want to crank it up LOUD! :LOL:
I'm happy to ignore the cable from the media port to the holster setup I have near my leg.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Unfortunately, Bluetooth doesn't give me anywhere near the sound quality that plugging in/Carplay does, and with a 9 speaker Alpine system installed, I want to crank it up LOUD! :LOL:
I'm happy to ignore the cable from the media port to the holster setup I have near my leg.
Really? Streaming Pandora sounds great to me, even with the stereo and sub that came with the Jeep. Even the standard stereo in the work vehicle sounds okay, but then I donā€™t need the neighborhood to feel the vibration of my base. :LOL:

On the other hand, Im old and my ears have been abused by many years of inadequately muffled gunfire and, in my youth, music played far too loud. Perhaps thatā€™s a blessing in this case.

Sponsored

Wonder

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR (aka Juno) - Hydro Blue
Really? Streaming Pandora sounds great to me, even with the stereo and sub that came with the Jeep. Even the standard stereo in the work vehicle sounds okay, but then I donā€™t need the neighborhood to feel the vibration of my base. :LOL:

On the other hand, Im old and my ears have been abused by many years of inadequately muffled gunfire and, in my youth, music played far too loud. Perhaps thatā€™s a blessing in this case.
Hahaha I'm old and hearing abused too, but you can definitely notice the volume and sound quality never gets as good as plugging in.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have music on the phone and also on a USB stick.

The songs are the same yet the USB stick sounds the best.

JbuckTN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle 80th Anniversary - Diesel
Time for me to chime in. I truly appreciate this group and have always at least found someone with a similar issue. I was an early reporter of the backup camera lines on the 8.4" Uconnect system working intermittently. It was very frustrating, like that from day one of my purchase, and it took Jeep 8 months for me to get a software/firmware release published.

Now, I have upgraded my iPhone to the iPhone 14 Pro Max and have instant center port problems. with CarPlay How frustrating. I found the solution myself after trying a different cable and then solving it with the from media port 1. I assumed that I had a port problem and was considering taking it to the dealer (yet another not-fun experience). My wife, who has the same setup (2021 Jeep JL w/8.4" Uconnect) encountered the same issue day 1 after moving to the new iPhone. So I decided to check here and found this thread.

Thank everyone for being active. Now an attempt for Jeep to take action...

@JeepCares - Will there be a firmware fix or am I now stuck with my ugly cable in Media port 1 forvever? What are the specifics to the 'change from Apple CarPlay"? I am super frustrated at the technology, as I have been penalized for purchasing the latest and greatest in technology from Jeep. I appreciate your involvement in this group, but I have a feeling that you are going to send me to the Uconnect infinite loop.

If someone hears anything more, please post!

BIGW0RM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Raptor // 22 M3 Comp X // 20 RRS
Brand new 22 Rubicon, my center USB port causes my iPhone 14 pro to drop every 15 minutes too. The upper dash port works fine.

This is a joke. There is not much to USB connectivity other than output voltages. And Carplay is an industry standard. This is not an apple issue. If anything it has to do with voltage coming out of that center port not being consistent. At least that's my theory.

If I can find a behind the dash extension cable that reroutes the front USB port to the center, I would buy it.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am a Windows/Android guy.

My Apple TV gives one headache after another!

Android auto on my Jeep works perfect. The Jeep is more than 3 years old and this is my second Android phone since l have had the Jeep.

Sponsored

Jesus_fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Clubs

I am having trouble since getting the Iphone 14 too, will keep an eye on this hoping someone figures it out.

Time for me to chime in. I truly appreciate this group and have always at least found someone with a similar issue. I was an early reporter of the backup camera lines on the 8.4" Uconnect system working intermittently. It was very frustrating, like that from day one of my purchase, and it took Jeep 8 months for me to get a software/firmware release published.

Now, I have upgraded my iPhone to the iPhone 14 Pro Max and have instant center port problems. with CarPlay How frustrating. I found the solution myself after trying a different cable and then solving it with the from media port 1. I assumed that I had a port problem and was considering taking it to the dealer (yet another not-fun experience). My wife, who has the same setup (2021 Jeep JL w/8.4" Uconnect) encountered the same issue day 1 after moving to the new iPhone. So I decided to check here and found this thread.

Thank everyone for being active. Now an attempt for Jeep to take action...

@JeepCares - Will there be a firmware fix or am I now stuck with my ugly cable in Media port 1 forvever? What are the specifics to the 'change from Apple CarPlay"? I am super frustrated at the technology, as I have been penalized for purchasing the latest and greatest in technology from Jeep. I appreciate your involvement in this group, but I have a feeling that you are going to send me to the Uconnect infinite loop.

If someone hears anything more, please post!

Jesus_fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Clubs

Old iphone worked great with console cable new one drops randomly and people say they can't hear me until I unplug it and it switches over to bluetooth.
Sponsored