Center Console USB does not work with an Apple phone 2021 Jeep Wrangler

Uberwoots

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I have taken my new 2021 Jeep Wrangler into the dealership 4 times so far for a USB connector that does not work in the center console. They replaced the radio. The next appointment they say they will replace the center console again. Android phones work but we tried 8 different Apples with many cords that were Apple cords and none would work. I have to leave my Jeep there every time and this is getting very difficult for me to find a ride to work etc. Any ideas?
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My center USB was dead one time over the past 3 years and have no idea why, there was no power to it but it only happened once.

I checked all the fuses and even pulled the fuse to it and metered the fuse and it was good and after plugging it back in it’s worked ever since so have no idea why.

Seems nowadays all these new vehicles has plugs and connectors everywhere and you need a Electrical Engineering degree to work on them.

Last edited:

Kjon50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler sport 2 door
Pretty ridiculous problem to have on a brand new car. Center console USB port works intermittently. Apple CarPlay cuts off all the time.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I have to leave my Jeep there every time and this is getting very difficult for me to find a ride to work etc. Any ideas?
Sounds like warranty work. You should be getting a loaner through the Jeep Wave program I believe. If your dealer is not offering that contact Jeep Cares, I’ve had very good luck with sending them a message here to get a case opened rather than hunting down the phone number for myself. Sorry I got no ideas for the actual problem.

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Pretty ridiculous problem to have on a brand new car. Center console USB port works intermittently. Apple CarPlay cuts off all the time.
mine did the same thing when I first drove it off the lot now it works
Don’t understand it. Typical jeep electric gremlins and this is why jeep has a bad name. Mine has been consistently working so I have not had an issue but it was Doing the same thing

Sponsored

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Hmm….thought it was just mine. My CarPlay does the same. Cuts off after about 20 minutes. Works fine on the dash USB. JL has less than 400 miles.🤔

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Same, mine has always kicked my phone off in center console after 15/20 minutes. defeating the purpose of not fiddling with the phone when driving! So I only use dash which always works. hate the wires but I'm not unplugging /plugging in to try and get it to work while driving!!

Kjon50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler sport 2 door
mine did the same thing when I first drove it off the lot now it works
Don’t understand it. Typical jeep electric gremlins and this is why jeep has a bad name. Mine has been consistently working so I have not had an issue but it was Doing the same thing
My Jeep has 250 miles on it. Besides center console issues, back up camera loosing guide lines intermittently. All of that is not a big deal. However, I expected to have a working suv since it is brand new.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I get “device not supported message” over the top of EVERY screen. You can X it out or hit “ok” and it will return in 12-15 seconds. No CarPlay now. Bluetooth works fine though. Multiple cords, including a known GOOD iPhone cord, consistently disconnects at about 14 seconds and reconnects/charges at 16 seconds through the dash USB.

They plan to replace the radio but I think I should ask if they also observed the disconnect/reconnect when wired through the dash USB. I just noticed this as we got the Jeep back to wait for the radio.

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
I'm feeling a little less crazy reading this. I traded a 2018 for a '21 and I didn't have these issues on my old ones (firmware updates eventually worked out pretty much all the kinks for me). I also updated my iPhone to iOS 14.5 the weekend before buying this, so I wasn't sure whether it was the phone or the brand new Jeep, and I'm still not sure which is more annoying. I've read on the Gladiator forums that it seems to be the worst with iPhone 12s. Sounds like firmware updates might be needed on both systems to fully resolve the problem.

Sponsored

mcmspark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe, Cherokee, Sahara, Subaru, Volvo xc60
My Jeep has 250 miles on it. Besides center console issues, back up camera loosing guide lines intermittently. All of that is not a big deal. However, I expected to have a working suv since it is brand new.
Dude! Me too. I appreciate the dash USB work around for car play.

I also have problems with Bluetooth calls. The head unit goes black and drops the call. (This is less repeatable than the CarPlay and backup lines problem)

OP
OP

Uberwoots

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Thanks everyone. I gave up after seven attempts. I may try the Jeep cares option but the time I have put into this has been extensive. I can use the front USB so its really only my son that suffers. I will make sure to never buy anything from the Manchester, NH dealership again.

thinarrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport
If anyone has a solution to this, please post. There is definitely an issue with the center armrest USB console and iPhones with uConnect on the JL - and after checking all the fuses and changing lighting cables, and what not, this is either a software issue or poor connectors for this USB #2 console. As many have reported, the dash USB is fine but who wants those wires dangling from the dash...

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Good morning everyone,

Sorry to hear about the concerns you've been having with your Uconnect system. Apple requested that Apple CarPlay capabilities were removed from the second row USB ports (3). Our teams took this into consideration and made a design modification to the vehicle that essentially re-routed the armrest USB port (2) directly to the I/P media hub. This results in the armrest USB to support Apple CarPlay/Android Auto features again. This modification was made midway 2020. Therefore, some 2020 models will support Apple CarPlay from the armrest USB (2), while other models may not. Future Apple software updates should not have a negative impact on this.

If you are working with a dealer to get this addressed or are experiencing concerns that you'd like me to look into, please send our team a private message.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares