Center Console USB does not work for an Apple phone 2021 Jeep Wrangler

jl4379

First Name
Joby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler, 2dr, Willyā€™s, Sarge Green
To clarify, were you having problems with the port in the armrest, or the front media port?
Both quit working at the same time.
Sponsored

jl4379

First Name
Joby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler, 2dr, Willyā€™s, Sarge Green
At the same time, I thought it was a fuse at first.

SLYLS

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU R 3.6 2022
hi all
yesterday became the owner of JL rubicon
just do not ask how much it costs in Israel .....
USB1 and USB2 ports do not work. phone won't even charge

I ask for advice what to do?
the car for ...... $$$ should brew coffee itself, and not create questions

ThatTallJeepGuy

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
I'm having the same issue with the centre console usb being intermittent on my 2022 Jeep Wrangler that I got just 1 month ago. I've tried several cables and it works for a little bit then disconnects and I have to reach in and unplug it and plug it back in.

Has anyone actually had this issue solved on their vehicle? Pretty annoying on a brand new car.

Sponsored

PhotoJeeper

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon, 1990 YJ , 1963 CJ5
i have, obviously. Iā€™d be willing to say we all have.

besides. We all have problem with one particular USB port. Not all USB ports. It wouldnā€™t make sense why one cable works perfect! With dash usb, and crap with console usb if the lightning cable was the problem. But yes, multiple cables were tried

tbh, whatā€™s baffling to be is that this has been an issue for years, thousands and thousands of people complain about it. And ones that donā€™t probably simply never use console usb or donā€™t even know itā€™s there and just use dash usb because itā€™s right there up front.

The bottom line is usb is unusable in its iteration. You canā€™t use it for charging as it will interfere with CarPlay to cut it in and out. And you canā€™t use it for CarPlay because itā€™s cuts in and out. So might as well rip out the usb and throw it away
Need to go Bluetooth. I use Bluetooth on my F-250, it does not do CarPlay but it is more robust than USB. I've used brand new from Apple cables and I still get disconnects. At one point last week it would not let me switch to Bluetooth until I turn the Jeep off for 5 minutes. So now no CarPlay. Only using Bluetooth and the rear USB for charging.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm having the same issue with the centre console usb being intermittent on my 2022 Jeep Wrangler that I got just 1 month ago. I've tried several cables and it works for a little bit then disconnects and I have to reach in and unplug it and plug it back in.

Has anyone actually had this issue solved on their vehicle? Pretty annoying on a brand new car.
Hi ThatTallJeepGuy,

I'm sorry is impacting you this way! Our team reached out to the proper internal teams regarding similar feedback we're seeing for any available updates, but we haven't received any further details at this time.

Steph
Jeep Cares

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Please keep us posted on what you might learn. My understanding is that Jeep has told us we're SOL, and that the center console USB is not engineered to work with Carplay, which sucks. The center console USB in my previous '18 JL worked fine with Carplay, so the step backwards is truly disappointing.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Hi ThatTallJeepGuy,

I'm sorry is impacting you this way! Our team reached out to the proper internal teams regarding similar feedback we're seeing for any available updates, but we haven't received any further details at this time.

Steph
Jeep Cares
Glad to hear @JeepCares is looking into this. Iā€™ve had the same issues since day 1 and 15 miles on my 2022 JL and it is my only major complaint. Took it to a reputable dealer and they showed me that the CarPlay in the console port is not compatible with iPhones past a certain update and that Jeep blames Apple.

If this is a software issue, thereā€™s really no reason a fix couldnā€™t have been implemented by now.

I have also purchased several brand new Apple cables as a ā€œfixā€ and they all resulted in no change.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i use CarPlay plugged into the armrest console USB almost every time i drive the J**p, and it works fairly well with my lowly little iPhone SE 2020.
but letā€™s keep this in perspective; this is a very First World Problem with something that has nothing to do with the primary function of the machine.

however, after seeing whatā€™s been shared here, iā€™m extremely hesitant to allow any software updates to be done (like the Z86 Rear View Camera Recall, which is also for a problem i donā€™t have) for fear of it interfering with something that is working fine for me.

Sponsored

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Glad to hear @JeepCares is looking into this. Iā€™ve had the same issues since day 1 and 15 miles on my 2022 JL and it is my only major complaint. Took it to a reputable dealer and they showed me that the CarPlay in the console port is not compatible with iPhones past a certain update and that Jeep blames Apple.

If this is a software issue, thereā€™s really no reason a fix couldnā€™t have been implemented by now.

I have also purchased several brand new Apple cables as a ā€œfixā€ and they all resulted in no change.
Theyā€™ve been ā€œlooking into thisā€ for 4 yearsā€¦..smh

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker

The only Jeep teams talking to each other are corporate financial and marketing, every now and then they will let the design team know about updates to make. No one internal is talking to Jeep Cares, otherwise customer satisfaction surveys would not be in a continuous nose dive.

Cranjis McBasketball

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara Altitude
I was told by Jeep Customer service that this issue would be resolved in a software update detailed in a service bulletin that was recently released.

Software ID 1891 Service Bulletin 08-067-23-REV.A

Software version QR40.1.

Took my 2023 Sahara to the dealer yesterday for the update. They installed it as requested. On the 3-minute drive home, my iPhone connected via USB to the port in the center console disconnected, so the above update did not solve the issue. If Customer Service or Jeep Cares or whoever tells you that it addresses this issue, it doesn't.

With 2024's presumably getting wireless CarPlay via UC5, something tells me that this isn't going to be resolved. Some may think this is a 1st world problem, but I see it as a safety issue if your map keeps cutting out, you need to unplug and replug your phone in, then take your eyes off the road to hit the infotainment screen a couple times to get back on your route. Sure, I could use the dash port, but I don't need any more cords floating around to get tangled or snagged on stuff.

Pretty janky, Jeep...

NC31

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
i use CarPlay plugged into the armrest console USB almost every time i drive the J**p, and it works fairly well with my lowly little iPhone SE 2020.
but letā€™s keep this in perspective; this is a very First World Problem with something that has nothing to do with the primary function of the machine.

however, after seeing whatā€™s been shared here, iā€™m extremely hesitant to allow any software updates to be done (like the Z86 Rear View Camera Recall, which is also for a problem i donā€™t have) for fear of it interfering with something that is working fine for me.
Just donā€™t get a new phone.

Iā€™ve had a 2018 and a 2021. No problem using armrest usb.

upgraded my iphone from 8+ to 13.

now it doesnā€™t work.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Oh crap I am about to order a new 2024 when Jeep gets the orders/options listed. And waiting for a newi phone 15 to come out in sept. Guess Iā€™ll be getting. A cell phone talking ticket. šŸ¤Ŗ
Sponsored