Center Console USB does not work for an Apple phone 2021 Jeep Wrangler

Uberwoots

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I have taken my new 2021 Jeep Wrangler into the dealership 4 times so far for a USB connector that does not work in the center console. They replaced the radio. The next appointment they say they will replace the center console again. Android phones work but we tried 8 different Apples with many cords that were Apple cords and none would work. I have to leave my Jeep there every time and this is getting very difficult for me to find a ride to work etc. Any ideas?
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I have taken my new 2021 Jeep Wrangler into the dealership 4 times so far for a USB connector that does not work in the center console. They replaced the radio. The next appointment they say they will replace the center console again. Android phones work but we tried 8 different Apples with many cords that were Apple cords and none would work. I have to leave my Jeep there every time and this is getting very difficult for me to find a ride to work etc. Any ideas?
Yeah I have a 2018 and it works for about two seconds then kicks it off...I stopped using it and only use the dash one.

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
is your goal to just recharge the phone? If so, run a new line from the 12V port in the dash. Did you use the same cord for all 8 iPhones? Might want to try a different cord to ensure itā€™s not a the cord.

OP
OP

Uberwoots

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
is your goal to just recharge the phone? If so, run a new line from the 12V port in the dash. Did you use the same cord for all 8 iPhones? Might want to try a different cord to ensure itā€™s not a the cord.
yes many cords. I could run a line as suggested but being a brand new car I am still under warranty. I wasnt sure if this may be an issue affecting all 2021 models.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
My center console port used to do this but after a firmware update on the uConnect it was solved.

I did have it come back, but turned out that was a cable issue. The lightening end fell onto the floor, got wet, corroded, and no longer made a good contact. Replaced the cable and it all worked again.

Kjon50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler sport 2 door
I have a similar problem. USB connection in the center console does not work. My car is 3 days old with less than 200 miles on it. Canā€™t believe this is happening. Dashboard connection works great. No other issues so far.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Iā€™m fairly certain that @JeepCares commented in another thread that the latest UConnect software purposefully disables CarPlay in center and rear. The thread was about ā€œwhatā€™s new in latest OTA update.ā€ Maybe they will comment, here.

Sponsored

SlowPoke21

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have a 2021. Zero issues PRE iPhone 12. Now with the new iPhone 12, I do have intermittent issues. Itā€™s annoying

used old Apple cables. Used new Apple cable with adapter. Still have issues.

I donā€™t used the dash usb c. Prolly should. I like having the cable in the center console

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Iā€™m fairly certain that @JeepCares commented in another thread that the latest UConnect software purposefully disables CarPlay in center and rear. The thread was about ā€œwhatā€™s new in latest OTA update.ā€ Maybe they will comment, here.
Good afternoon everyone,

We understand that there seems to be some confusion around Apple CarPlay capabilities within our various models. For further clarification-
  • Due to a specification change from Apple, CarPlay was no longer able to be used from the center console or rear USB ports on any vehicle with software application level IR22.5 or higher.
  • For the JL/JT vehicle lines, a modification was made to allow the center console USB port to use CarPlay, beginning midway through the 2020 model year. Some 2020 owners may be able use the console port, some may not.
We apologize for the confusion surrounding this topic, however, please let me know if you have questions about your specific vehicle and I would be more than happy to look into it further.

Thank you,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2014 JK ā€” Previous: 2004 TJ, 1994 YJ
Good afternoon everyone,

We understand that there seems to be some confusion around Apple CarPlay capabilities within our various models. For further clarification-
  • Due to a specification change from Apple, CarPlay was no longer able to be used from the center console or rear USB ports on any vehicle with software application level IR22.5 or higher.
  • For the JL/JT vehicle lines, a modification was made to allow the center console USB port to use CarPlay, beginning midway through the 2020 model year. Some 2020 owners may be able use the console port, some may not.
We apologize for the confusion surrounding this topic, however, please let me know if you have questions about your specific vehicle and I would be more than happy to look into it further.

Thank you,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
@JeepCares dumb question, by center console do you mean the usb in the armrest bin? I assume CarPlay still works fine from the dash USBā€™s by the window controls?

Kjon50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler sport 2 door
Good afternoon everyone,

Thank you,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Good afternoon everyone,

Thank you,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
My Jeep is 2021. Center console USB port works intermittently. 250 miles on my car. Picked it up on May 4th. Backup camera guide lines disappear as well. Could you please comment on the camera issues? Is there a fix?
thank you for your help.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares dumb question, by center console do you mean the usb in the armrest bin? I assume CarPlay still works fine from the dash USBā€™s by the window controls?
Not a dumb question at all! People tend to call things different names. Yes, I mean the USB port that is in the armrest bin! If I remember correctly, this USB port is labeled as #2, and would go directly under the driver's right arm. Apple CarPlay should still function properly from the main media hub/ the dash USB's by the window controls. I hope this helps clarify!

My Jeep is 2021. Center console USB port works intermittently. 250 miles on my car. Picked it up on May 4th. Backup camera guide lines disappear as well. Could you please comment on the camera issues? Is there a fix?
thank you for your help.
Hi --

I'm glad you reached out about this! Please send our team a private message with your VIN so we can look into your specific vehicle for you. We want to make sure your private information remains confidential!

Thanks in advance,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Sponsored