Sponsored

Center console lock

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
After owning my Jeep for almost 2 months I was contemplating a lock box for my center console.

Today I finally took a close look at the console and saw a slot for a key.... whaaaaat!!! All along I’ve had a lockable center console. It locks both the smaller and larger portions of my Sahara’s console. I feel foolish, but not as bad as if I had actually bought the aftermarket lockable solution.
0D0EEC52-4AA7-4C44-A619-3316BFA6763B.jpeg
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, not everyone realizes the center box and glove box are keyed. But... They aren't extremely secure. If you need true security, you'll want the add-on lock box. The stock ones can be accessed with a screwdriver/pry bar. In other words, if you're just wanting to deter an easy grab-n-go, the stock stuff is fine. If you're storing valuables/firearms, get the Tuffy.

OP
OP
JK47

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yeah, not everyone realizes the center box and glove box are keyed. But... They aren't extremely secure. If you need true security, you'll want the add-on lock box. The stock ones can be accessed with a screwdriver/pry bar. In other words, if you're just wanting to deter an easy grab-n-go, the stock stuff is fine. If you're storing valuables/firearms, get the Tuffy.
I'll bet I could get into the Tuffy box with a screwdriver/pry bar

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So hostile... Was just playing. Sorry if I irritated you.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I'll bet I could get into the Tuffy box with a screwdriver/pry bar
Its a good level of deterrence. With no visible reward and a giant pain in the arse battle to attempt getting in, smash and grab thieves move to next. They simply go along roads now with glass breakers and clear out stuff left in backseats etc, and do it in less than 30 seconds so they have little risk.

The stock console does not have a unique key so all wrangler keys open it, and it can easily be pulled open by anyone over the age of 12. The stock lock is better than nothing, but dont kid yourself its zero protection from thieves. I would never bet against a Jeeper my good man, but it would be a major pia to get out and remember a thief has no knowledge this project would yield any reward.

The tuffy console lock is a really good option, and offers a very reasonable level of lockable space vs having none. It was a pain to install but worth it over all.

linskyaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2018 JLU
After owning my Jeep for almost 2 months I was contemplating a lock box for my center console.

Today I finally took a close look at the console and saw a slot for a key.... whaaaaat!!! All along I’ve had a lockable center console. It locks both the smaller and larger portions of my Sahara’s console. I feel foolish, but not as bad as if I had actually bought the aftermarket lockable solution.
0D0EEC52-4AA7-4C44-A619-3316BFA6763B.jpeg
is this in the sport unlimited model too?

Sponsored

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
So I had my center console latch break a few days into owning my JLU. I informed my dealership but wanted to wait until I had driven it a while before going in for service. Three months later I'm finally getting serviced for my crashing dash cluster. They're swapping out the top of my center console too.

In looking at the new one before they installed it I too first discovered the key slot. It has a plastic clip with a tag-like handle on it when they're fresh out of the box. Anyway, fast forward to when I go to leave the lot.

I noticed they still had the plastic tag in my new console. No key tumbler? Now I'm writing this from the waiting room as they try to figure out how to get my tumbler OUT of my old one and into my new one... :swear:

Last edited:

Gingerrubicon

First Name
Boe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Manual
anyone have issues with the center console lock? The first time I locked it the entire cylinder slid out with the key, there was no pop or crack, or force exerted, the cylinder doesn’t not stay in the console in locked position. That couple with the wrong sides lever installed on my passenger side freedom panel leads me to believe my Jeep was built end of shift on a Friday, seems to be a lot of “good enough” in the fit and finish.
Sponsored