CELeste's first trip to the doctor

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL 3.0 Diesel, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro

TL;DR Got a CEL on the way home from DC and it's probably because I didn't personally push down the fuses and relays. Everything's probably fine but we'll see. Has 300 miles on odometer.

On Sunday, the plan was to take our friend back to MagFest in my new awesome Jeep. I was pretty nervous because it was only my second time driving it and I was in an unfamiliar place. The plan was to then head back to Richmond which is about a 2 hour drive down 95. On the way to MagFest the Check Engine Light came on… After waiting this long I was pretty upset. The lengthy evening deliberations, about the pitfalls of getting the latest and greatest vs. the tried and true… This one was a calculated risk though. We had discussed it at length, but now my imagination was going through all the potential downsides.

The chassis had been in production since 2018. The engine made its US debut in 2014. Then a few days after ordering we saw a youtube video where an FCA engineer discussed just how different the wrangler version of this engine was than what went into even the newest ram.

We called Koonz, but since it was Sunday, the service center was closed. Since we’re not at home, we don’t have a code reader. Autozone said their code reader was broken, but they could sell us a working one. Advance Auto was much more helpful.

3x P26FB: EGR Cooler Bypass Control Stuck Closed Bank 1

Called Koonz again with the new info, our dealer said he has no idea what that means, but if the CEL light isn’t flashing it shouldn’t do any damage to drive it. My partner, Ny has some recent experience with EGR issues from his 99 Celica, and wasn’t too worried. We checked the relay box, most fuses were not pushed in all the way, and every relay was slightly loose and visibly crooked. Alright! A problem we could fix!

We drove home to Richmond through the periodic merge-down traffic jams of I-95. No issues in driving at all, just nervous because of the CEL. The next day (Monday) I called my favorite mechanic, Tim at Headlights to Tailpipes, for some advice. He recommended Whitten Brothers of Ashland VA for warranty work.

On Tuesday I go into Whitten Brothers for my 1100am appointment. Some scheduling hick-ups since there were no diesel techs available right away and they wanted to handle everything on this new vehicle as carefully as possible. They checked the electrical, vacuum, and mechanical elements of the troubled system and everything worked. They were able to clear the codes and send us on our way. It took about 3.5 hours total, part of that delay we could have probably compensated for. We now know that we should always say “It’s a diesel, I need to have a diesel tech look at it” for anything engine related. Part of it was that they called a Chrysler engineer to get advice on exactly what to do. Everyone there was really nice, very helpful, and they kept us in the loop about what was happening. Unfortunately we couldn’t be in the shop for insurance reasons.

It is obnoxious that I had this issue, but I knew I was at least in part signing up to be a test pilot. Nothing against FCA, that’s just how all auto-makers work I suppose. After my experience at Whitten Bros of Ashland VA, I’m much less worried.

Moral of the story is even if the dealer tells you they pushed down all of the fuses and relays… Double check yourself.
Sponsored

Toniagp

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S 3.0 EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
Well Nihkole(we chatted a little on Instagram last night).. sounds like they took care of it for you, please keep us in the loop! I want an EcoDiesel so bad... just waiting on a test drive and to see what issues pop up. The 2014-2018 Ram EcoDiesels had a lot of issues, I hope VM Motori, FCA, and Jeep do not let us down on their 3rd Gen EcoDiesel. If It ends up being reliable they will sell a ton of them!
Dan

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
That code would not worry me too much either. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't want to see any codes, but the EGR bypass? Pbbbfft. The emissions on new diesels sucks and the code you are seeing is part of that territory. Could be electrical. Could be an actuator has a physical burr or other type of manufacturing obstruction. Could be programming.

So yeah I'm an internet non-expert, but I personally would not be that concerned over that particular code. Having said that, good luck to you our resident JLUSD guinea pig!

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
TL;DR Got a CEL on the way home from DC and it's probably because I didn't personally push down the fuses and relays. Everything's probably fine but we'll see. Has 300 miles on odometer.

On Sunday, the plan was to take our friend back to MagFest in my new awesome Jeep. I was pretty nervous because it was only my second time driving it and I was in an unfamiliar place. The plan was to then head back to Richmond which is about a 2 hour drive down 95. On the way to MagFest the Check Engine Light came on… After waiting this long I was pretty upset. The lengthy evening deliberations, about the pitfalls of getting the latest and greatest vs. the tried and true… This one was a calculated risk though. We had discussed it at length, but now my imagination was going through all the potential downsides.

The chassis had been in production since 2018. The engine made its US debut in 2014. Then a few days after ordering we saw a youtube video where an FCA engineer discussed just how different the wrangler version of this engine was than what went into even the newest ram.

We called Koonz, but since it was Sunday, the service center was closed. Since we’re not at home, we don’t have a code reader. Autozone said their code reader was broken, but they could sell us a working one. Advance Auto was much more helpful.

3x P26FB: EGR Cooler Bypass Control Stuck Closed Bank 1

Called Koonz again with the new info, our dealer said he has no idea what that means, but if the CEL light isn’t flashing it shouldn’t do any damage to drive it. My partner, Ny has some recent experience with EGR issues from his 99 Celica, and wasn’t too worried. We checked the relay box, most fuses were not pushed in all the way, and every relay was slightly loose and visibly crooked. Alright! A problem we could fix!

We drove home to Richmond through the periodic merge-down traffic jams of I-95. No issues in driving at all, just nervous because of the CEL. The next day (Monday) I called my favorite mechanic, Tim at Headlights to Tailpipes, for some advice. He recommended Whitten Brothers of Ashland VA for warranty work.

On Tuesday I go into Whitten Brothers for my 1100am appointment. Some scheduling hick-ups since there were no diesel techs available right away and they wanted to handle everything on this new vehicle as carefully as possible. They checked the electrical, vacuum, and mechanical elements of the troubled system and everything worked. They were able to clear the codes and send us on our way. It took about 3.5 hours total, part of that delay we could have probably compensated for. We now know that we should always say “It’s a diesel, I need to have a diesel tech look at it” for anything engine related. Part of it was that they called a Chrysler engineer to get advice on exactly what to do. Everyone there was really nice, very helpful, and they kept us in the loop about what was happening. Unfortunately we couldn’t be in the shop for insurance reasons.

It is obnoxious that I had this issue, but I knew I was at least in part signing up to be a test pilot. Nothing against FCA, that’s just how all auto-makers work I suppose. After my experience at Whitten Bros of Ashland VA, I’m much less worried.

Moral of the story is even if the dealer tells you they pushed down all of the fuses and relays… Double check yourself.
Sounds like I will carry my ODBII code reader in my Jeep whenever I get it. I had a BullyDog Chip in my Chevy 2500HD Diesel and could reset CEL and get the codes while I was driving.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nihkole

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To be fair, you gave your 3.0 a name that starts with CEL so maybe she was just telling you how much she appreciates it lol
Um yeah so that's how she got that name :facepalm: And she will be teased at any sign of trouble

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Um yeah so that's how she got that name :facepalm: And she will be teased at any sign of trouble
Ahhh I thought the CEL came after your IG post...I guess you can sleep easier knowing your 3.0 doesn’t hate you lol.

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
Just had this CEL (P26FB) come on (cold start). Cleared it hopefully it doesn't come back. About 180 miles on the odo.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just had this CEL (P26FB) come on (cold start). Cleared it hopefully it doesn't come back. About 180 miles on the odo.
Sad to hear it man. If it turns into more than a one-off fluke, do add it to the spreadsheet @toolaide4fit created to track these.

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
Sad to hear it man. If it turns into more than a one-off fluke, do add it to the spreadsheet @toolaide4fit created to track these.
Will check out the spreadsheet; I think it is prudent to have a hand scanner in the center console to document and clear these codes... which are likely false positives. Just completed a 250 mile trip no issues.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will check out the spreadsheet; I think it is prudent to have a hand scanner in the center console to document and clear these codes... which are likely false positives. Just completed a 250 mile trip no issues.
Tazer should work for that too.

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
I guess I should name my rig MILton... Constant malfunction indicator lights related to the EGR valve. Now at the dealer

I am back to driving my cummins swapped Cj7 that has never let me down.

OP
OP
Nihkole

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I should name my rig MILton... Constant malfunction indicator lights related to the EGR valve. Now at the dealer

I am back to driving my cummins swapped Cj7 that has never let me down.
I like MILton :CWL:

Just putting it out there again though that I haven't had any issues since my throttle cable and EGR fixes that I've posted about. Things are great. Almost 3k miles now.
Sponsored