First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
I'm old. Went from 8-tracks to an FM converter to cassettes to CD's to MP3 and USB. I fear what's next. Told you I'm old.

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
I'm old. Went from 8-tracks to an FM converter to cassettes to CD's to MP3 and USB. I fear what's next. Told you I'm old.
I'm right there with you. I remember putting the matchbook under the 8 track tape so it didn't mix tracks. And the "pause....K-Chunk...pause" then the song it's back to playing.

OP
OP
klhjeep2018

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
I’m right with both of you unfortunately you can’t like older things I guess on this thread without others passing their opinion when they’re not even asked I don’t understand if you got something against CDs why the hell would they even be paying attention to this thread

Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
I’m right with both of you unfortunately you can’t like older things I guess on this thread without others passing their opinion when they’re not even asked I don’t understand if you got something against CDs why the hell would they even be paying attention to this thread
Hey its your jeep you do what you want. Pay no mind to distractors. I was the one who commented about the technology of today, asked why would someone want the cd player. Primarily to me it was a cost factor issue. That much $$ for a cd player that you'll hide in your console when it's more cost effective to have it on a smaller form factor which could contain your entire cd collection and could still be played as an aux input to your stereo system.
For what it's worth my last two vehicles both had a factory cd player and neither of them played a single cd. I'm not against CDs. My preference has been to just embrace technology. I don't have to have a collection of CDs in the vehicle and my phone, which is going to be with me anyway, can store many, many CDs that are in my collection that have been ripped down and saved on my computer/server.
I'm certainly not making fun of you and your quest. I came in here to see how you were modding it. That's the beauty of our 'community', we love to mod our vehicles.

OP
OP
klhjeep2018

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Hey its your jeep you do what you want. Pay no mind to distractors. I was the one who commented about the technology of today, asked why would someone want the cd player. Primarily to me it was a cost factor issue. That much $$ for a cd player that you'll hide in your console when it's more cost effective to have it on a smaller form factor which could contain your entire cd collection and could still be played as an aux input to your stereo system.
For what it's worth my last two vehicles both had a factory cd player and neither of them played a single cd. I'm not against CDs. My preference has been to just embrace technology. I don't have to have a collection of CDs in the vehicle and my phone, which is going to be with me anyway, can store many, many CDs that are in my collection that have been ripped down and saved on my computer/server.
I'm certainly not making fun of you and your quest. I came in here to see how you were modding it. That's the beauty of our 'community', we love to mod our vehicles.
Sorry if I misunderstood

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I like older things too... like days gone by when you could bust someone's balls on a forum and they didn't get all butt hurt.
Buddy, I'm just giving you a hard time in fun. I lamented the day I burned all my CDs to MP3s and got rid of them but I saw it coming and realized I might as well convert. This is coming from a guy who doesn't even own a smart phone so I do dig the older technology. My apologies if I upset you, was just ribbing.

OP
OP
klhjeep2018

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
I like older things too... like days gone by when you could bust someone's balls on a forum and they didn't get all butt hurt.
Buddy, I'm just giving you a hard time in fun. I lamented the day I burned all my CDs to MP3s and got rid of them but I saw it coming and realized I might as well convert. This is coming from a guy who doesn't even own a smart phone so I do dig the older technology. My apologies if I upset you, was just ribbing.
Again my apologies if I misunderstood

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
What type of hard drive do you have and what is your vehicle and year? Any idea what format it is? (FAT, NTSC, etc) How do you have your music organized on it? Do you use folders for artists/albums or just plop songs on it?

One thing that annoys me about these USB is they seem to be hit and miss. What works in one car doesn't work in another. You could take that same thing you have and plug it into my car and it probably wouldn't play.

Some play lossless, some don't. Some play one format, some don't. Some limit the number of folders, some don't.

That's one thing I like about CD's. Great quality, and super simple to use without having to read instruction manuals and spend hours upon hours making and transferring digital files.

I bought a 500 gb hard drive and ripped all my music to it. It plays perfectly in the jeep. The worse part is it takes like 2 minutes to load on the head unit. I wonder if you could use a solid state drive to play music from....

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
What type of hard drive do you have and what is your vehicle and year? Any idea what format it is? (FAT, NTSC, etc) How do you have your music organized on it? Do you use folders for artists/albums or just plop songs on it?

One thing that annoys me about these USB is they seem to be hit and miss. What works in one car doesn't work in another. You could take that same thing you have and plug it into my car and it probably wouldn't play.

Some play lossless, some don't. Some play one format, some don't. Some limit the number of folders, some don't.

That's one thing I like about CD's. Great quality, and super simple to use without having to read instruction manuals and spend hours upon hours making and transferring digital files.
Not sure how it is formatted. As far as the way the music is stored I do it by each artist is their own folder then by album. That way I can listen to all albums by a specific artist. I believe I can do random so my whole collection will play song by song. I also will use this when I am being lazy. This also connects via USB and is super easy to use. Most of my music is in a FLAC format and sounds incredible.
FiiO M7 High Resolution Lossless Music Player with aptX, aptX HD, LDAC HiFi Bluetooth, FM Radio and Full Touch Screen (Black)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7Z67F5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is great because it is significantly smaller than the hard drive and is more portable.
Sponsored