First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
I miss the 5 disc changer in my previous vehicle. I have just gotten used to ripping the CDs I want to play to a USB stick. I just pick out 10 discs I want to play for the week and rip them to a stick. I have 50 CDs on it now. I'm using a freeware app that automatically names and tags the tracks so they show up with
Artist and track name in the radio menu
Sponsored

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I know I'll end up doing that eventually.

It's irritating though that I have to spend my time ripping CD's after dropping 40-50K on a vehicle.

They take something away that some people would still want.....Yet, I don't see the costs of these cars going down any. They give me this Apple play and whatever else garbage I don't even want instead.

I guess I'll have to give it some thought. I drove by a sweet looking Wrangler Rubicon this morning that's for sale but I'm really irritated by the lack of CD option and not sure I can get past it as much as I want the vehicle. I'd have already bought it if it had one.

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I bought a 500 gb hard drive and ripped all my music to it. It plays perfectly in the jeep. The worse part is it takes like 2 minutes to load on the head unit. I wonder if you could use a solid state drive to play music from....

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
I don't see CD players coming back or continuing in any vehicle. For a manufacture, removing a component (CD player) with many moving parts and susceptibility to user damage and replacing it with a solid state software based product makes the accountants happy.

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
in this phase of the digital age i have to ask myself "why?" might as well look for an 8 track add-on unit too! :giggle:

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply! Guess I'll cross that off as an option.

I really want a Wrangler but I don't know. Looks like my best option would be to spend $1,000 or so to buy a nice aftermarket system and have it installed. Unless a dealer gives me a great deal to compensate for having to spend that money, I'll probably just keep driving my Acadia that has a great CD system in it as it makes little sense to spend 50K on a vehicle and then rip the radio out.

It's just frustrating.
So I'm guessing the Wrangler isn't really for you if the lack of a CD player derails the purchase considering there are options out there to mitigate that.
Things like....
Removable top
Removable doors
Incredible off road capabilities
Killer looks
Endless customization
Instant Jeeple community
... don't factor in but no CD player in the year 2020 derails the purchase... :giggle: .

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone interested I found this USB option. It doesn't skip too much on the highway and I love being able to listen to all of my Vinyl that I just can't seem to find available on CDs.

Jeep Wrangler JL CD player that works through a USB Port 1595949124028

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Hey....I hear you and I know I'm old school. But I like what I like and not looking to change how I've listened to my music the last 35 years. I do use USB's and bluetooth from time to time in my current car but much prefer listening to my CD collection.

To me, it's silly that they take away something that probably costs them $300 to put in. I get not having it as a standard option anymore, but why not have like a $2,000 upgrade or a way to dealer install one if you want it? It would be a huge margin item for them because people like me that want them will pay for them and it would make happy customers and add to their "endless customization".

I know CD is declining....But there were still 50 million CD's sold last year. That's still a lot of CD's. And that says nothing about how many are floating around in circulation already.

Like you said though, the Wrangler is awesome. I test drove the Rubicon I liked just last night and still debating it. I love everything about it except the radio lol.

OP
OP
klhjeep2018

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Hey....I hear you and I know I'm old school. But I like what I like and not looking to change how I've listened to my music the last 35 years. I do use USB's and bluetooth from time to time in my current car but much prefer listening to my CD collection.

To me, it's silly that they take away something that probably costs them $300 to put in. I get not having it as a standard option anymore, but why not have like a $2,000 upgrade or a way to dealer install one if you want it? It would be a huge margin item for them because people like me that want them will pay for them and it would make happy customers and add to their "endless customization".

I know CD is declining....But there were still 50 million CD's sold last year. That's still a lot of CD's. And that says nothing about how many are floating around in circulation already.

Like you said though, the Wrangler is awesome. I test drove the Rubicon I liked just last night and still debating it. I love everything about it except the radio lol.
I couldn't agree more, It would nice too have that option.

Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
We went from a JK to a JL. My wife transferscall of her "stuff" from one Jeep to the other. Then one day we're driving down the road, she gets in the console, pulls out a cd. I'm driving she's looking for the place to insert the cd. We discover NO cd player. Lol. I could care less. I just assumed that a loaded Jeep had a cd player. JK had one. She wasn't happy.