First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler Sahara Altitude
Hi there
I live in the southwest Michigan area.
I’ve always wanted to get a CB when I get my jeep.
The question is should I get a CB setup?
Or should I go with a GMRS setup?
I know you need a license for GMRS
Sponsored

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
If you're going to Easter Jeep Safari, they apparently use CB. I didn't realize people still used CB. I have a handheld Baofeng HAM radio and a Motorola Talkabout radio. I think most people use FRS or HAM from my experience. FRS/GMRS and HAM can all talk to eachother. You just have to know the frequency that the FRS/GMRS channels are using and then tune your HAM radio to that frequency.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famil... Radio Service (FRS,high frequency (UHF) band.

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
I've had a cb for a long time in my jeep. Recently got a gmrs handheld. Gmrs is a lot clearer and more reliable. It does require a license, $70 for 10 years and it's good for your family. HAM radio also requires a license, there are 3, technician, general and amateur extra. You have to pass a test for each one.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I've had a cb for a long time in my jeep. Recently got a gmrs handheld. Gmrs is a lot clearer and more reliable. It does require a license, $70 for 10 years and it's good for your family. HAM radio also requires a license, there are 3, technician, general and amateur extra. You have to pass a test for each one.
This is exactly what I am working on.
CB in the Jeep, a GMRS handheld, and cheaper Talkabouts for the kids.

Sponsored

High-Strung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JLURD
In my neck of the woods, CB is still a thing surprisingly. Mainly popular with the gravel haulers running big old monkey-made antennas and amplifiers so strong I feel like these dudes are driving those semis with radiated nuts from the amplifiers under their seat. I've wanted to try out GMRS especially since it seems to be what major event gatherings are shifting to.

CB holds a sweet spot in my heart, I'll never forget the time I ran up the Gulf coast and shot skip to some dude in Petersburg Virginia. We were both freaked out we could hear each other. I was hooked from that moment on; Good times.

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
It depends on who you run with and what they run. If you don't run with a group, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to run both. GMRS is better than CB in almost every way, except popularity (though GMRS is catching on pretty quickly) and the license fee.

GMRS has more power (up to 50 watts vs 4 watts AM (12w SSB) for CB
GMRS has a 6" antenna (1/4 wave) vs a 102" CB antenna (1/4 wave). You can get longer GMRS antennas to boost your signal, but shorter CB antennas compromise your signal.
GMRS antennas require less ground plane so they can be mounted in places where a CB antenna couldn't/shouldn't be mounted.
GMRS mobile radios can talk to FRS/GMRS handhelds for spotting/kids/around camp/etc.
GMRS is FM vs CB which is AM so GMRS is less susceptible to environmental RFI (interference).
Sponsored