Hibypass

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone recommend a CB shop in the Houston, tx area? I know nothing about installing and tuning an antenna.
Sponsored

jpclark

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Xtreme Recon
Not sure if you already got an answer, but Four G's CB Shop on the far east side did the work on many Jeeps, including 2 so far in my family. They are located on exit 789 (near Baytown) on the north side of the highway in a small trailer. All the truckers go there.... do awesome work.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Very old thread but the tides seem to be turning towards GMRS! No tuning needed, better range and clarity too

Brett

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It's been many years since I lived down there but I think I remember River Oaks Car Stereo being great with communications equipment.

Update....Still there! Looks like they do CB work, too! Eddie Runner, the owner, is a genius and has more experience with this stuff than anyone I've encountered.

https://www.riveroakscarstereo.com/

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
As long as you pay for the license and learn how to use it.
Exactly. Very affordable and easy to use. Select channel and transmit. Can also get compatible hand held radios for ~$20 that work if others in your group don’t have the mobile installed. No license needed for those.

Brett

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I’ve had luck with the GMRS / FRS combination as well, but I still keep a CB too.’

Unfortunately there seems to be a significant trend to use unlicensed ham with the cheap Chinese handhelds, or the mobile radios from Rugged Radios.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had luck with the GMRS / FRS combination as well, but I still keep a CB too.’

Unfortunately there seems to be a significant trend to use unlicensed ham with the cheap Chinese handhelds, or the mobile radios from Rugged Radios.
Same here. GMRS works well. Unfortunately, CB is really hard to tune on a soft/fiberglass/open top Jeep. I'd definitely give a pro like Eddie at River Oaks a stab at tuning it. I wish I had a talented installer like him near me. My CBs in my JL and JK are just adequate for trail use. They don't have the range for highated by a schlongiwacker are use. GMRS destroys them in both arenas.

No test, 10 year license good for your immediate family and no studying for weeks about how many milliwankers of wavelength are needed to transmit into a poontangular receiver on odd days of the week.

Last edited:

Diesel550

First Name
Addam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Go Ham 2 meter or 70cm and never look back.
A little education about radio and how it works will make you appreciate it more and let you better utilize your radio.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Go Ham 2 meter or 70cm and never look back.
A little education about radio and how it works will make you appreciate it more and let you better utilize your radio.
The problem is the rest of my Jeep friends are unlikely to get a ham license any time soon.

I have my license, but I never use it, because chatting with random strangers isn’t particularly interesting to me. I need to talk to my convoy.

OP
OP
Hibypass

Hibypass

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up going with gmrs. In the end, the range made the decision for me. I also have a handheld cb for the times that is required. I’m glad I went with the gmrs. The main unit is tucked under the dash behind the glove box and all the controls are on the mic. I installed my self since no tuning was involved. Got the power tap adapter that taps power behind the dash which made the wiring easy. Used a magnetic mount and used that on trip to CO i did this summer. Just got a hood mount and will post pics of that once i get time to install. Very clean and easy install even a caveman like me can do it...:like::jk:
Sponsored