CB Radio Locations and Installs -- Post your Pictures

sardogtella

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR. 2021 JLURXR
I just mounted a two meter ham radio I need for SAR. Mounted the detachable face plate on the dash using the Bulletpoint system. The main unit is located beneath the passenger seat. Ran the wires inside the the door sill and up through the dash. The reinforced tire carrier which comes with the XR package has an antennae mount on it so that was a slam dunk. Also installing the Cobra 75. Plant to mount the small control unit under the seat next to the ham and manually switch out the antennae when using the CB. Grounding didn't cross my mind and I will need to grind off some powder coating from the tire carrier to hopefully get a decent ground.

20220215_213739.jpg

20220215_213824.jpg

20220215_213847.jpg
Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
I run with both, CB and GMRS. Mounted them under the headlight switch so that both can be accessible to adjust squelch, volume, channels, etc. Running twin Firestiks trimmed for the CB on the rear, non-obtrusive no plane antenna on the front for the GMRS. Dangle the mic’s off the L/H grab handle or across the steer column.
Jeep Wrangler JL CB Radio Locations and Installs  --  Post your Pictures D7F895C3-9DBF-4881-8942-7D7791C10E5A

Jeep Wrangler JL CB Radio Locations and Installs  --  Post your Pictures F5222CA9-7127-4434-BB58-5266089AAF63

Jeep Wrangler JL CB Radio Locations and Installs  --  Post your Pictures B7ACC4CE-26AF-4536-9649-BC6F4362D988

RedIron Farms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR, 3.0 Diesel
I have a President McKinley SSB CB radio and the Midland MX400 GMRS radio. I started with the ram mount, bought 2 of the 2" channels and drilled and tapped the bracket for them and then bent up some 20 gauge aluminum in the metal brake for the radios.
Jeep Wrangler JL CB Radio Locations and Installs  --  Post your Pictures 20220313_142843

I will have a couple of things left to do and need to wire up the GMRS but have a good start and is pretty solid mounting for the radio. I like them here since so I do not need to move my eyes off the road to tune the radios.

Jeep Wrangler JL CB Radio Locations and Installs  --  Post your Pictures 20220313_133937
Jeep Wrangler JL CB Radio Locations and Installs  --  Post your Pictures 20220313_133943
Jeep Wrangler JL CB Radio Locations and Installs  --  Post your Pictures 20220313_142829
Jeep Wrangler JL CB Radio Locations and Installs  --  Post your Pictures 20220313_142848

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm...why didn't I think of this? I have a GMRS radio (Wouxun KG-1000G) mounted on the passenger side of the center console. I've been holding off mounting my CB since I knew stacking them would cover the GMRS radio speaker.

I went ahead and bought a small 5w speaker with a 3.5mm plug, so I can go ahead and stack the CB onto the GMRS. I guess I'll be going to Home Depot tomorrow. LOL

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I just mounted a two meter ham radio I need for SAR. Mounted the detachable face plate on the dash using the Bulletpoint system. The main unit is located beneath the passenger seat. Ran the wires inside the the door sill and up through the dash. The reinforced tire carrier which comes with the XR package has an antennae mount on it so that was a slam dunk. Also installing the Cobra 75. Plant to mount the small control unit under the seat next to the ham and manually switch out the antennae when using the CB. Grounding didn't cross my mind and I will need to grind off some powder coating from the tire carrier to hopefully get a decent ground.

Jeep Wrangler JL CB Radio Locations and Installs  --  Post your Pictures 20220313_142848
Is there any issues with running a radio under the seat on carpet like that. I've been looking for a location for my GMRS unit which is quite big. It fits here but I was thinking on the carpet, under the seat next to the rear floor heating vent was not a good location. But I don't know, why I'm asking.

sardogtella

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR. 2021 JLURXR
Is there any issues with running a radio under the seat on carpet like that. I've been looking for a location for my GMRS unit which is quite big. It fits here but I was thinking on the carpet, under the seat next to the rear floor heating vent was not a good location. But I don't know, why I'm asking.
I have had no problem. It sits to the side of the heat duct. I put a small sheet of plastic beneath the carpet to bolt the radio to so it would not move. Just move the seal forward and back to make sure it doesn't interfere.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm...why didn't I think of this? I have a GMRS radio (Wouxun KG-1000G) mounted on the passenger side of the center console. I've been holding off mounting my CB since I knew stacking them would cover the GMRS radio speaker.

I went ahead and bought a small 5w speaker with a 3.5mm plug, so I can go ahead and stack the CB onto the GMRS. I guess I'll be going to Home Depot tomorrow. LOL
Got the CB and GMRS piggy backed, I'll need to find a better way to mount the mics. Leaning towards putting the one I'm using on the closest mic mount, and stowing away the one I'm not using.

Jeep Wrangler JL CB Radio Locations and Installs  --  Post your Pictures IMG_1796

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Is it necessary to disconnect the JL battery (actually 2) before I install my Cobra 75 CB?
I never disconnect the battery. Worst case you may blow a fuse, but rarely. Especially if you are hooking up to ignition powered wires.

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I never disconnect the battery. Worst case you may blow a fuse, but rarely. Especially if you are hooking up to ignition powered wires.
Thanks. I ended up pulling the fuse both on the CB and in the power distribution box for the aux wire to which I connected the CB. Easy to do once I figured out which fuse in the box.
Sponsored